Comments

• yorkie98
    yorkie98 Posts: 306 Forumite
    Options
    Just got the call, I'm switching tomorrow..:j
  • Chickabee
    Chickabee Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    I took the sensible plunge at the weekend and filled out the online request form on Budget Energy website to switch over from my NIE pre-pay meter. So far i've received a letter from BE with various leaflets etc. I haven't received any phonecall from BE as yet but i notice in the welcome letter they refer to signing the Customer Agreement Form? I haven't received this, does anyone know if this is sent at a later date. I'm probably just a bit eager!

On another note i topped up my NIE meter with a few extra quid before the price hike at the start of the month- so this means my meter tariff is still showing the old unit price as i haven't topped up since the price hike. I notice NIE have been out over the past few days trying to get meter readings. I haven't been about otherwise i'm sure they would probably have read the meter and inserted the necessary code to switch it over to the new tariff. They left a card asking me to contact them with a meter reading. Perhaps i'm being too suspicious but if i provide this to them do you think this is to calculate how many units i should be paying the new tariff for?
  • hazelc56
    hazelc56 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Options
    Chickabee wrote: »
    I took the sensible plunge at the weekend and filled out the online request form on Budget Energy website to switch over from my NIE pre-pay meter. So far i've received a letter from BE with various leaflets etc. I haven't received any phonecall from BE as yet but i notice in the welcome letter they refer to signing the Customer Agreement Form? I haven't received this, does anyone know if this is sent at a later date. I'm probably just a bit eager!

On another note i topped up my NIE meter with a few extra quid before the price hike at the start of the month- so this means my meter tariff is still showing the old unit price as i haven't topped up since the price hike. I notice NIE have been out over the past few days trying to get meter readings. I haven't been about otherwise i'm sure they would probably have read the meter and inserted the necessary code to switch it over to the new tariff. They left a card asking me to contact them with a meter reading. Perhaps i'm being too suspicious but if i provide this to them do you think this is to calculate how many units i should be paying the new tariff for?
    chickabee I received an agreement form with the welcome pack from budget energy.It wouldnt do any harm giving them a ring and asking them about yours.
    They will probably ring you in 10 days or so after the so called cooling off period to let you know further details about your switchover but i have to say that the last i heard/read on here there was a backlog so it was taking the process a bit longer than its supposed to do.(read back on some of the previous posts by others.)
    As for the NIE out reading our keypad meters, well this is something they have started to do every 3 months.I got mine read before i even heard of budget energy.If you go to the NIE site you will find information somewhere on there explaining why they have started reading the keypad meters.You could also ring NIE with your reading or do it online from the NIE site by pressing number 9 on your keypad and giving the digits from there.
    The reading has nothing to do with the amount of money you have in your meter or your tarriff.
    Just a word of warning to you...Be careful that you dont end up having to pay extra when your new tariff kicks in.Good luck:)
  • hazelc56
    Options
    yorkie98 wrote: »
    Just got the call, I'm switching tomorrow..:j
    yippee:beer:
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome pack received today so hopefully not too long to wait now...
  • yorkie98
    yorkie98 Posts: 306 Forumite
    Options
    I switched over, quickly and painlessly yesterday evening. I can already feel the pennies trickling out of the meter slower..
    :beer:
  • hazelc56
    Options
    I feel its just as well we found this smaller company in Northern Ireland seeing as though we are excluded once again from England,Scotland and Wales' and the perceived winter payouts for fuel hmmm.
  • RTNI
    RTNI Posts: 817 Forumite
    Options
    Just made the switch! Email received confirming it too. Looking forward to welcome pack and telephone call in the coming weeks. :)
    Regards, Robin.
    2011 MFW # 34
    Mortgage starting balance at Sept 09 - £127,224 on 30 year term. Currently balance approx £116,945 (Updated Jan '12)
    Estimated MFD - [STRIKE]Sept 2039[/STRIKE]
    , April 2031 (in progress!)
  • northernireland10
    Options
    Just completed switch over to Budget Energy last night got a call from NIE T&D to transfer over to BE from PowerNI, now paying less! Fantastic and easy to do, even though a little bit of a wait for NIE T&D to call just have to wait on new BE top up cards!

NI10
    :money:
  • Silvercloud
    Options
    Mmmmm,I'm slightly suspicious.I checked my meter last night to make sure I'd have enough lec to reach the Friday afternoon cut off point,had +40p so including the emergency pound £1.40 is usually more than enough to do this.

However when I got up this morning my electricity was off and the meter read -£1.15,quite a shock!(The pun is inexcusable,I know).I'm on Economy7 and the only major power source I used last night was my PC,it just doesn't seem right.

I haven't done the keypad usage checks and comparisons because I find it all so tedious but I'm going to have to I suppose.I'm beginning to get nostalgic for the days when we got shafted by one company with no choice,not so lol. :D

Thanks for the heads up Hazel, on the higher unit rate if you only top up £5,I was unaware of that.A little sneaky of Budget in my opinion but it's my own fault,I didn't read all the guff in the information pack.

I also don't like Budget's 8am cut off,it was 12 noon with NIE which is much more practical but again I guess it's up to me to manage my meagre finances better to ensure I don't run out of juice and this doesn't happen.Still...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure