MSE News: Asda to cut petrol prices

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
43 replies 3.9K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The supermarket will reduce prices by 2p per litre tomorrow at most of its forecourts due to the falling oil price ..."
Read the full story:
Asda to cut petrol prices

OfficialStamp.gif

Replies

• I've noticed the price of fuel gradually creeping up over the past 2-3 weeks, and it has been frustrating after the big song and dance the likes of ASDA put on a while back on reducing their prices.

We seem to be getting the same again. Whilst every reduction is useful and appreciated, I can't help feeling that we aren't really reaping the benefits of reduced oil prices. That said, we never have done, nor do I expect we ever will (unless there is a fundamental shift in the mindset of either governments or oil/fuel wholesalers).
  • Scotty1.7Scotty1.7 Forumite
    388 posts
    but the plus side is at least for the first time- its been capped at 132.7.

So it won't get higher then that at a asda, irrespective of the other patrol stations.

The goverment needs to step in and put a proper cap on the whole sale price per litre and then we might see a real change in the cost of fuel
  • danothydanothy Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how long that cap will stay in place ... Seems like an odd move, although I have heard tell of supermarkets selling fuel below cost before this is very much a gamble on a falling oil price.
    If you think of it as 'us' verses 'them', then it's probably your side that are the villains.
  • Completely unrelated pedantry follows.

From the original article:

"It's average prices before the drop were 134.6p for unleaded and 138.8p for diesel."

Repeat after me, Guy:

Possessive "its" has no apostrophe.

I'll get my anorak...
  • KierNetKierNet Forumite
    2.8K posts
    2p...not worth the hassle really...£1 or so saving...
    What is pi? Where did it come from?
  • wizk1wizk1 Forumite
    910 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Oh poo. I only just filled my tank this morning
  • corbyboycorbyboy Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    I really can't understand why people make such a big deal about these paltry reductions in petrol prices.

We are talking 2p a litre here! People wouldn't stop in the street to pick up 2p they found on the floor. It's nothing.
  • LandyAndyLandyAndy Forumite
    26.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What brilliant news. All I need now is an Asda petrol station somewhere even remotely near where I live or on a route I drive.
  • Indout96Indout96 Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amazingly all the stations around here put their price up 1 or 2p last week just in time for the headline grabbing 2p reduction.
    Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
    Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
    BHP is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support