Mother of student needs help

Comments

• nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Oh and Mum, try not to feel deserted when he has gone (my Mum still hasnt got over it :eek: ) be proud of what he has achieved

Ooops I forgot about that bit, it's much, much worse than that first day at school when they are 4, you are allowed to cry but not whilst they are looking OK. I suggest you pack a large box of tissues so you can cry all the way home like I did. I also had a few weepy moments in the weeks after he went, not sure how I'll cope this time when they are both gone.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Chadsman
    Chadsman Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    stuwilky wrote:
    He cant get a student account until he has the letter saying he has been accepted. But as soon as he gets that its a good idea to get the best account.
    Banks will usually let you open a current account before you get final confirmation of results but insist on it being operated as a basic bank account until you give them proof you have definitely got a place on the course.
    It can be useful to know account numbers in advance and not have to wait around for a cheque book/paying in book/cashcard.
    Chad
    God save the King!
    I'll save Winston Churchill, Jane Austen, J. M. W. Turner and Alan Turing.
  • lyniced
    lyniced Posts: 1,880 Forumite
    He already has a bank account - he needed to open one, when he started a Saturday job at Waitrose. Will this mean he'll need to open a different account when he goes to uni, or will this one suffice?
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni
  • stuwilky
    stuwilky Posts: 297 Forumite
    The type of account we are referring to are the great facilities offered by most banks for interest free overdrafts and the like. Specifically for students.

Most offer some kind of freebie to open. Financially the best is often the 4 year railcard offered by HSBC (depending on how far away son is at uni).

But at Chadsman says, look at the account, the overdraft in particular being of paramount importance.
  • Chadsman
    Chadsman Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That will probably suffice provided the bank in question actually does have a student account. All of the big national banks have a student account. Just make sure he takes in the proof that he has been definitely accepted onto the course once the A Level results are out.
    It sounds like he is off to a good start ;)
    God save the King!
    I'll save Winston Churchill, Jane Austen, J. M. W. Turner and Alan Turing.
  • lyniced
    Thank you to everyone - I am totally overwhelmed by your help and advice. If I have future concerns (which I know I will!) I hope I can pick your brains again? Thank you once again.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    lyniced wrote:
    Thank you to everyone - I am totally overwhelmed by your help and advice. If I have future concerns (which I know I will!) I hope I can pick your brains again? Thank you once again.

Anytime just post here or PM me I am happy to help. Hope it all goes well for your son.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • zcaprd7
    zcaprd7 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    I think the best advice I can give is to make sure he can look after himself domestically as well as financially.

When I was at Uni I was gobsmacked by the number of people who couldn't do the simplest things e.g. using tin openers!

This one guy would get sent food parcels sent from home and once they ran out he would just steal food from the communal fridge until the next one arrived!
  • lyniced
    Oh dear Zpcard!

My hubby went to uni (millions of years ago) and he told me of one guy who wanted an electric guitar so much, that he spent most of his student grant (bring back student grants!) on it and then with what was left he made up some gruel (which he froze) to last him the rest of the term. Apparently he was the first person to be diagnosed with scurvey in that city for over 60 years!!! My husband says its true, but it could but I'm not so sure!!
  • zcaprd7
    zcaprd7 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    lyniced wrote:
    Oh dear Zpcard!

My hubby went to uni (millions of years ago) and he told me of one guy who wanted an electric guitar so much, that he spent most of his student grant (bring back student grants!) on it and then with what was left he made up some gruel (which he froze) to last him the rest of the term. Apparently he was the first person to be diagnosed with scurvey in that city for over 60 years!!! My husband says its true, but it could but I'm not so sure!!

LOL - he had scurvy but you should have seen him with that axe...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure