Buy nothing for a month challenge

Options

Comments

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Last weeks money rictus is definitely not a spend this week.

Right out of my three commitments to go out in August, two are now gone. Need to buy some pet food today but apart from that I've got food in until Tuesday so there is nothing I need what so ever. Even Tuesday will just be a little top up!
  • Monkeynut
    Monkeynut Posts: 2,116 Forumite
    Options
    I did part with £2 in Asda yesterday but that was a planned expense for food to take to work, that I would have got when we did the food shopping in Tesco last week, but waited as they were on offer in Asda, and I didn't buy anything else at the same time like I would have before, so there was a saving there too :D

Will need to pick up milk this evening or in the morning, and will check if anything else is needed, might need bread, to make sure we have enough for lunches at work for the following week.
    Neither me nor my OH have spent out this week for food at work which for us is a massive achievement. I work in a Boots shop so previously always just ended up not bothering to take food with me as it was just so easy to get a Meal Deal!! OH has supermarkets and fast food near his work so would always end up spending out somewhere.

Now I am going to have to break the challenge to buy a new laptop. Mine broke a while ago and I have been using a computer borrowed from a friend, but they are moving out of their parents so will need their own computer back next week. However, I can justify it as I make a lot of money through using the internet, as I do a lot of Mystery Shopping, Ebay, and surveys etc, so it's really more of an investment than a spend :D
    So I think I should be let off that one, even though it will be a substantial spend, being so good this month will almost pay for it anyway.
    Half of November Make £10 a Day Challenge: £51/ £170
  • mrs_baggins
    mrs_baggins Posts: 1,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    am unintentionally joining this for next 2 weeks as mis management of money means I am minus £7 in bank and dont get paid for 2 weeks!! Have enough food so will need only petrol .
  • rictus123
    rictus123 Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Quick drop in as I'm on mobile and away off to a romantic super then walk in the heat at gfs. Got paid today, more than 1200 take home for 2 weeks...keeping at this challenge I should have at least 2k in bank after needed expenses. Bigger update tmoro, keep at it everyone!
    Work in progress...Update coming July 2012.
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    FireWyrm updat : Day 5 - NSD
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Monkeynut wrote: »
    I did part with £2 in Asda yesterday but that was a planned expense for food to take to work, that I would have got when we did the food shopping in Tesco last week, but waited as they were on offer in Asda, and I didn't buy anything else at the same time like I would have before, so there was a saving there too :D

Will need to pick up milk this evening or in the morning, and will check if anything else is needed, might need bread, to make sure we have enough for lunches at work for the following week.
    Neither me nor my OH have spent out this week for food at work which for us is a massive achievement. I work in a Boots shop so previously always just ended up not bothering to take food with me as it was just so easy to get a Meal Deal!! OH has supermarkets and fast food near his work so would always end up spending out somewhere.

Now I am going to have to break the challenge to buy a new laptop. Mine broke a while ago and I have been using a computer borrowed from a friend, but they are moving out of their parents so will need their own computer back next week. However, I can justify it as I make a lot of money through using the internet, as I do a lot of Mystery Shopping, Ebay, and surveys etc, so it's really more of an investment than a spend :D
    So I think I should be let off that one, even though it will be a substantial spend, being so good this month will almost pay for it anyway.

Depending on the answers to the following....if you are anywhere near Oxford and you just want a box standard laptop...I have a Sony SZ4 that needs a new home.....
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • suzitiger
    suzitiger Posts: 947 Forumite
    Options
    Rictus123, i think this is a great thing that you are doing!! I would love to try this on another month, I am training myself with the NSD challenge and the earn 10 a day challenge atm. Good luck, I am cheering you on. I will keep dropping in to see how you are getting on :) suzi
    Don't turn a slip up into a give up:D
    *NSD Challenge Nov 0/10* *£10 a day challenge Nov £0/£300*
    No buying unnecessary toiletries challenge-in it for the long haul
    :D

• rictus123
    rictus123 Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well i have a few ideas for challenges folks....another one is for overtime at work but may leave that until start of summer next year, best time for me to do it...Mucked up some of the figures in one of my older posts about net worth...so kind of ignore that as its rough sums!! Will sum up properly one night this week,busy busy today, had an offer for my van so currently considering that.

Its day 6, iv got 5 NSDs so far and this one is so far so good.....im getting there!!
    Work in progress...Update coming July 2012.
  • Winchelsea
    Winchelsea Posts: 693 Forumite
    Options
    Have been away all week, and spent nothing on food as I took it all with me, including a freshly baked loaf of bread and the flour etc to make another later in the week. Also took powdered milk, which I made up as needed (not as nice as fresh milk, but it was fine), and, mung beans and a jar to sprout them in, which eked out the veg I'd taken (they sprouted really well on my windowsill).

I did spend £4. Had to go to hospital on Wednesday, and while the kind person who took me would not accept money for petrol, I did pay the parking (£2).

Then today, on the way home, I had a longish wait at a station, so went with another woman to a cafe and spent £2 on a coffee. Was OK for the rest of the journey though, as I'd made sandwiches and filled a flask.

Now I'm home, I'm pretty much determined to stick with the challenge for as long as I can.

Will have to open my purse in the library though, as I've reserved a couple of books, and have to pay the reservation fees.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • Winchelsea
    Winchelsea Posts: 693 Forumite
    Options
    Just updated my signature to add that I'm on this challenge, and found I'd typed "buy nothing for a moth" (Or a butterfly come to that...!)
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure