Hsbc new secure key - i hate it !!!

Options

Comments

• smartiedriver_2
    Options
    Sagar_Fuzz wrote: »
    Internet banking is supposed to be instant access, anywhere. Now I can hardly log on as I don't want to carry this hee-haw around with me.

That's your choice - you CAN still access it anywhere.

Personally I prefer the added security, and as it's attached to my door keys, I always have it with me. It's not exactly heavy or cumbersome.
    Before you ask, yes, I work for a bank, but no, I didn't get a bonus!
  • rantopanto
    Options
    I've just closed my HSBC account because of this and summarised to HSBC customer services why this is.

People who understand electronic security should realise that our usernames and passwords stored on all the high street banks' servers are protected by several layers of encryption and as such are ridiculously secure. Does anyone know of a case anywhere in the world where hackers have EVER broken into a bank server directly? (don't mention Sony - this was because Sony didnt encrypt their customers details for some reason!) I've used online banking since 2002 and can't remember ever reading such an instance.

The way fraudsters "hack" your account is if you give out your banking ID and password via a phishing scam. Given that we are told time and again by the banks to NEVER give out your username & password to anyone and that all banks only ask for 4 digits of your PIN when logging in, who's fault is it if you get hacked? Shall we all carry a device to use at ATMs because a few dumb people give their PIN out and then wonder why someone raids their account via an ATM?

For me, this is to protect stupid people more than anything else and I refuse to 1.) carry this stupid device around with me, 2.) Risk it breaking and not being able to access my money.
  • GooliesOfFire
    Options
    This sort of device should be only needed to set up new one off payments, standing orders etc. as an extra safety measure, not to log in to your account. I check my accounts every day. I would hate being forced to use a card reader to log in.
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    What's up with you lot?
    Such short fuses.
    It's a pain but far from the end of civilisation as we know it.
    Calm down dears!
  • zebrastripesrule
    Options
    I have to say i dislike the secure key too. What really annoys me with the secure key is that you have to use it to log in, then again to transfer any money - for me this is overkill!!!

I understand for logging in, but it would be nice to have the option not to use it. Nationwide have a card reader which if need be you can opt not to use to log in, but then if you want to transfer money you have to use it, however if you have logged in using the cardreader you are not expected to use it twice.

I must say I have wondered how these things work...
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I want to see my HSBC account online, but I left my secure key at home ....

TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE ...Over reacting to security ...

I think they could make it better for instance, just use secure key for new DD, SO, Transaction to a new account, etc.
  • Carpi10
    Carpi10 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know about all others but I look after all my parents accounts with HSBC, but now they have introduced the secure key, it is preventing me from doing so. (Unless i call them up for the codes, which i won't be doing). Now, they will just have to learn Online banking :D
    :money:
    Cashback to date: £521
    :cool: Responsible Gambling: +£910 Profit :cool:
    Latest Win: £120 on X Factor _party_
    Latest Loss: £13 on Arsenal to beat Totenham :doh:
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,115 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have an hsbc account that I keep open in case I need any other hsbc products in the future (like their competitive mortgages) but this is likely to make me decide it is too much hassle. I will be extremely upset if FD introduce them as I don't want to change my mortgage at the moment.
    I think....
  • rantopanto
    Options
    le_loup wrote: »
    What's up with you lot?
    Such short fuses.
    It's a pain but far from the end of civilisation as we know it.
    Calm down dears!

I am calm. Closed the account which their CS made very easy!

HSBC generally have been very good for me, its just a shame some donkey had to think of this idea.
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    rantopanto wrote: »
    HSBC generally have been very good for me, its just a shame some donkey had to think of this idea.
    So, you really are chucking the baby out with the bathwater. I guess they will take you back when you find a niggle with your new bank.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport