🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

'My column at the News of the World' blog discussion

Options

Comments

• whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Perhaps he has been threatened with legal action if he leaves.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    To use the excuse 'it happened before I got here' is not good enough, nor is it enough to say that the current management does not behave like that, if Martin thinks that his column is so important that the great unwashed readers of the NOTW would fall into destitution without it then he is guilty of blinkered thinking.
  • ashleyriot
    ashleyriot Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Phoenixmum wrote: »
    I meant Martin taking the moral highground, not the rest of us. I have already joined in petitioning companies who advertise etc.

I just think this is a slightly different case. The people who are more likely to lose out are the readers not getting financial advice.
    I just don't believe the majority of people buying the NotW are buying it for financial advice: they're buying it for mostly made up stories, seeing pictures of mostly naked women and filling up their inane and dull Sunday lives as they wait for the football to come on.

I accept I am generalising massively but these papers have not gone out of business so people must be reading them.
  • imaginarynumber
    Options
    I have knowingly done bad things in the past and I too have attempted to assuage my flaky conscience by asking people whose probity I doubted to reaffirm that I was doing the right thing.

Regret lasts a lot longer than cash...
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The reputation of the NOTW is trashed, whatever the outcome of any investigation and enquiry; that can't fail to contaminate the reputation of all those associated with it. Martin Lewis' blog will be read by many as will the responses to it which go straight to the heart of the matter.
    The fourth estate won't lose an opportunity to snigger at those with their snouts in the NOTW trough and rolling around in the filth defending their corner of it.
    Martin Lewis is a journeyman columnist who moves from newspaper to newspaper for personal financial gain, not because he's a bleeding heart.

Those who lie down with dogs catch fleas.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Aberdeenangarse
    Aberdeenangarse Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    .......but NOT Martin. His excuses are lame,and they will come back to Haunt him. Why does he think he can remain there while advertisers are leaving in their droves?
  • verityboo
    verityboo Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    Options
    Martin has made himself look a complete idiot.

Perhaps if other media stops using him (like radio 2 etc) because of his association with notw he might actually wake up to himself. I hope they do, he deserves it.
  • theblagger
    theblagger Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    guilty by association Martin....NOTW changed.... no it`s just crocodile tears, that column is based on a commercial decision not a moral one...your getting paid to write a column to reach out to who....people who only want the latest scandal....cmon be bigger and better than associating yourself with this morally repugnant organisation
    I refer to my byline below ...

Ad hominem
    An attack upon an opponent in order to discredit their arguement or opinion. Ad hominems are used by immature and/or unintelligent people because they are unable to counter their opponent using logic and intelligence.
  • verityboo
    verityboo Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    Options
    Martins up & coming appearences are :

"icon1.gifAppearances This Week: Wed 6th - Tues 12th July
    Lorraine, ITV1, Thurs, between 8.30 & 9.30am. Real Deals.

Shelagh Fogarty, Radio 5, Thurs, 12-1pm. Consumer Panel.

Daybreak, ITV1, Fri, between 7 & 8.30am. Subject tbc. "

Perhaps the above subject on Friday could be on making money if you have no morales?

I have contacted the above broadcasters asking them to review their use of Martin due to his support for NOTW. I know it won't make any difference but if lots of people did???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport