'My column at the News of the World' blog discussion

Options

Comments

• MrSmartprice
    MrSmartprice Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Options
    Martin Lewis -

If you have one shred of decency in your body you will disassociate yourself from this despicable rag forthwith.

You are one of the most respected journalists in the UK. Do you imagine that you will maintain that reputation as long as you are seen knowingly to condone by association the actions of the lowest of the bottom-feeders in the gutter press? If you continue to write this column, I hope it costs you commercially as your reputation nosedives.

This is no longer about a few soap stars and footballers having their dirty washing aired in public. It is about corruption and criminal behaviour at the highest level. Some of the most appalling crimes in recent years are cited in these revelations.

Your blog, sir, is nothing but a cop-out and a whitewash. I really thought you were better than that. I sincerely hope you will reconsider taking the NOTW's filthy lucre and repay the faith people at MSE and elsewhere have had in you.

Show us that at least one journalist in the UK has some morals!

Mr Smartprice

This is the first time in almost 10000 posts that I have felt it necessary to post in bold. I make no apology for it. That's how let down I feel.
  • Stryder
    Stryder Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2011 at 12:58AM
    Options
    VOTE to express you opinion.... and MSE Poll asking Martin to resign from his NOTW work
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3343088&page=1

At 90% of people wanting him to leave, I think it would be unwise to ignore this. I somehow suspect you are up late reading this and working out the volume of feeling that will be expressed. we will know tomorrow and in the following days. It is one thing when I disagree with your stance, and thus the stance of the sites admin. as I have disagreed with your stances on a number of occassions. But when users like MrSmartprice come out this strong, I think you had better listen.
    ............... Have you ever wondered what
    ¦OO¬¬ O[]¦ Martin would look like
    ¦ _______ ¦ In a washing machine
    ¦ ((:money:)) ¦
    ¦
    ¦
    ¦''''''''''''""""""¦
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    The reason that the NOTW will prevail is because they have attack dogs in their arsenal who will discredit those who dare to oppose them.

The NOTW may have detailed records of the law enforcement minions that they have 'subsidised'.

They will probably let loose a barrage of counter insinuations ,try to change the focus, change the subject or give away something for nothing. Harry potter promotional material etc.

They will still make money with Martin or without him. If you are prepared to buy a product without knowing exactly what it contains then there is a captive readership who are entrenched in their habits.

J_B. (News is big business, News is power. Power corrupts absolutely.)
  • MrSmartprice
    Options
    Stryder wrote: »
    VOTE top expres you opinion.... and MSE Poll asking Martin to resign from his NOTW work
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3343088&page=1

At 90% of people wanting him to leave, I think it would be unwise to ignore this. I somehow suspect you are up late reading this and working out the volume of feeling that will be expressed. we will know tomorrow and in the following days. It is one thing when I disagree with your stance, and thus the stance of the sites admin. as I have disagreed with your stances on a number of occassions. But when users like MrSmartprice come out this strong, I think you had better listen.

It's not just me, there is an overwhelming tide of posters saying more or less the same. It's just that I never mince my words.

Sadly, Martin Lewis IS mincing his words with all sorts of lame half-excuses. Does he really think that the readership of the NOTW will all end up in the workhouse without his column? The readers of that rag are most likely to be the most prodigal and irresponsible, he seems to suggest. But they are also the least likely to listen to good advice.

People who buy the NOTW are looking for gossip, tittle-tattle and a round-up of who's shagging whom. But if they continue to buy it they will show themselves to be morally bankrupt too. Does he really think the remaining readers would worry if he goes or stays?

He can achieve far more working for a respectable publication. Anything from the Dandy to Readers' Wives would qualify!:D
  • Stryder
    Options
    Or Dinosaur Weekly
    ¦
    ¦
    ¦''''''''''''""""""¦
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    So Rebekah Wade denies all knowledge of this and feigns shock and horror.

She is either an incompetent editor/manager or a bare faced liar. Seeing as she has been so well promoted, she can't be incompetent, can she? Is she really trying to say that she's incapable of doiing her job properly in an attempt to dodge a criminal prosecution? Not a woman and company/group you should want to associate yourself with, surely? Either useless or a contemptible liar.
  • Stryder
    Options
    Just read this from Martins Blog response on the Blog main page

Sadly, this made me really annoyed. A user suggested his fee go to charity and this was the response:

"Martin S Lewis
    Thanks for the suggestion

It's be easy for me to make a trite gesture and agree to that, but frankly its meaningless I already give to charity many many times (see http://www.moneysavingexpert.c... what Im paid by the news of the world. So I could say I was doing that very easily - as there's no fixed donation amount.

Yet "I'll do it but give to charity" would be cop out. This isn't about whether I'm paid its about whether I do it or not. And I have made the decision to carry on as I think in the long run I can do more good staying in the paper than quitting."

Its almost funny its so misguided. "I'll do it but give to charity" would be cop out"
    Its dirty money and it contaminates the person who keeps it. THAT IS WHY YOU DO NOT KEEP IT. And to mention your existing charity donations is frankly disgusting. Giving to charity does not clean your hands of the blood money you keep
    ¦
    ¦
    ¦''''''''''''""""""¦
  • CoolHotCold
    CoolHotCold Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok, I'll bite, yes I'd probably do the same thing If it was 6 years ago, but as you've pointed out in the blog
    Today I called and spoke to Colin Myler, the paper’s current Editor, made my point strongly and was assured (again) the paper now is a different beast to a few years ago.

And that might of held true if it was only confined to the past 6 years before you joined. But to find out families of the 7/7 bombings were hacked (more than likely) which was only a short year before you joined, it shows a systemic ingrained behavior which at the very least has happened for 5 years and more than likely, longer. The Families of killed service men and women having their details found also raises the question of morality of everyone involved.
  • MrSmartprice
    Options
    Stryder wrote: »
    Just read this from Martins Blog response on the Blog main page

Sadly, this made me really annoyed. A user suggested his fee go to charity and this was the response:

"Martin S Lewis
    Thanks for the suggestion

It's be easy for me to make a trite gesture and agree to that, but frankly its meaningless I already give to charity many many times (see http://www.moneysavingexpert.c... what Im paid by the news of the world. So I could say I was doing that very easily - as there's no fixed donation amount.

Yet "I'll do it but give to charity" would be cop out. This isn't about whether I'm paid its about whether I do it or not. And I have made the decision to carry on as I think in the long run I can do more good staying in the paper than quitting."

Its almost funny its so misguided. "I'll do it but give to charity" would be cop out"
    Its dirty money and it contaminates the person who keeps it. THAT IS WHY YOU DO NOT KEEP IT. And to mention your existing charity donations is frankly disgusting. Giving to charity does not clean your hands of the blood money you keep

:T :T :T

This just makes it worse.

"And I have made the decision to carry on as I think in the long run I can do more good staying in the paper than quitting."

Just how pompous is that! He can do more good by showing that a decent journalist is disgusted by what the paper stands for, and by walking away. It would generate far better publicity for him too.

In any case what good will he do staying aboard what will be a sinking ship? His reputation will take a deserved nosedive if he continues to justify this gutter rag with his presence.
  • soil_2
    soil_2 Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    :T :T :T

This just makes it worse.

"And I have made the decision to carry on as I think in the long run I can do more good staying in the paper than quitting."

Just how pompous is that!

Well indeed. Martin Lewis is not the messiah - he's a very naughty boy.

He's a financial journalist, he can be replaced, this is not a unique profession (hence my bewilderment at his messianic feelings), but on the other hand he makes a whole bundle of money from this website and unlike perhaps some other NI employees, can EASILY afford to make a stand on this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure