🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

'My column at the News of the World' blog discussion

Options

Comments

• tony_mac
    tony_mac Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    The blog was badly worded, mealy mouthed, and that's because it was trying to justify something not justifiable.
    It was trying very hard to justify something not justifiable. It didn't need hindisight, it was perfectly obvious when reading it the first time.
    I do hope those who are so offended by Martin's decision do the right thing and walk away.
    Yes, just doing it now.
  • Stryder
    Stryder Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15LwrgYE30A

people were joking about the tabloids in 1988 (Stephen Fry and friends) and how phrophetic it was!
    ............... Have you ever wondered what
    ¦OO¬¬ O[]¦ Martin would look like
    ¦ _______ ¦ In a washing machine
    ¦ ((:money:)) ¦
    ¦
    ¦
    ¦''''''''''''""""""¦
  • CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    I am APPALLED at the sheer nastiness directed at Martin Lewis personally in a number of the comments on this thread. OK, he made an error of judgement but, by God, have you tried to make him pay for it with horrendous assumptions and vicious attacks. Do you Really think he was writing his column because he wanted the money??
    And as for the snide comments on his charitable work.... words fail me.
    You have very short memories.
    This is the Martin Lewis who is of those rare creatures in life, one who not only who cares but ACTS by spending the majority of his life working flat out in areas that will change people’s lives for the better, much of the work unpaid.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion on anything but the words that have been thrown at this good man by some over the last few days are inexcusable.
    You should be ASHAMED of yourselves.... you know who you are.

Get a grip. Martin Lewis isn't a saint or a devil. Some people feel strongly on the matter. I personally don't have a strong opinion because I feel that unless criminal charges are brought against current employees that boycotting or resigning over past history is jumping the gun, but his blog was as writhing and mealy mouthed as it is possible to be and I blushed for him to read it.
  • darkpool
    darkpool Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    Options
    If Rupert Murdoch can say sorry over this issue perhaps Martin can as well?
  • darkpool
    Options
    :rotfl:No, I just read a lot. :rotfl:

brand new poster that has made a total of 5 posts (all on this thread).

i wonder if this was Martin trying to defend his position........
  • darkpool
    Options
    On Martins blog someone suggested staying with the NoTW but giving his fee to charity. To me that sounded like a reasonable compromise, he continues his good work but is still making a moral stand. However Martin responded to this suggestion with -

"Yet "I'll do it but give to charity" would be cop out. This isn't about whether I'm paid its about whether I do it or not. And I have made the decision to carry on as I think in the long run I can do more good staying in the paper than quitting"

for me this response was worse than his original blog. what a rat.
  • sar050680
    sar050680 Posts: 491 Forumite
    Options
    darkpool wrote: »
    If Rupert Murdoch can say sorry over this issue perhaps Martin can as well?

Say sorry for what exactly? Seriously break down for me what Martin Lewis has done wrong here, because as far as I can see, he hasn't personally hacked anyone's phone.

As I read above, a lot of people on here need to get a grip.
    :cool:
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Blimey - anyone would think Martin himself had been phone hacking judging by some of the sanctimonious comments here.

Whilst I am delighted the NotW has ended and Murdoch is no longer trying for BSkyB, Martin as an individual would have no influence over either of these events and any decision he makes is his own.

For all those who do not like his choice or comments - you know where the door is. Me, I would rather continue to get helpful advice, as in the grand scheme of things this infinitely more important.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • darkpool
    Options
    Blimey - anyone would think Martin himself had been phone hacking judging by some of the sanctimonious comments here.

Whilst I am delighted the NotW has ended and Murdoch is no longer trying for BSkyB, Martin as an individual would have no influence over either of these events and any decision he makes is his own.

For all those who do not like his choice or comments - you know where the door is. Me, I would rather continue to get helpful advice, as in the grand scheme of things this infinitely more important.

i find the thought of a journalist hacking into the voice mail messages of a 13 year old murdered schoolgirl as completely sick. i'm sure senior management at the newspaper knew what their staff were doing.

By not resigning Martin indirectly supported what was going on at the NoTW. His decision to stay was his own, and unfortunately it suggests that money is his main motivation in life.

He finds out the NoTW is to close and blogs that he is to review his position - a whole hour before the formal announcements that the NoTW was to close.
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    darkpool wrote: »
    i find the thought of a journalist hacking into the voice mail messages of a 13 year old murdered schoolgirl as completely sick. i'm sure senior management at the newspaper knew what their staff were doing.

By not resigning Martin indirectly supported what was going on at the NoTW. His decision to stay was his own, and unfortunately it suggests that money is his main motivation in life.

He finds out the NoTW is to close and blogs that he is to review his position - a whole hour before the formal announcements that the NoTW was to close.
    Why if you feel so vehemently do you continue to comment. An action you have clearly condemned Martin for doing exactly that with the NotW.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport