🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

'My column at the News of the World' blog discussion

Options

Comments

• T_T_2
    T_T_2 Posts: 880 Forumite
    Options
    21Twinkle wrote: »
    And shame on Martin for not realising earlier & pulling out

Are we genuinely now stating that Martin should have uncovered the hacking story himself long before anyone else did?

Just out of curiosity, how many of your former employers have you formally investigated on the suspicion that they might be breaking the law?
  • gwinnie
    gwinnie Posts: 9,881 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »

Those who work for a company have a living to make. Purchasers are the ones who provide the profit.

Actually, purchasers are the commodity. It's the advertisers who provide the profit. And that includes films - noticed the amount of product placement in Hollywood blockbusters these days?
    Context is all.

"Free your mind and the rest will follow."

"Real eyes realise real lies"
  • KorkyKat
    KorkyKat Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To work for or purchase anything from News Corporation or any of its subsidiaries would suggest a peculiar set of morals. Leaving aside hacking a dead child's mobile phone one shouldn't forget what the Madcocks do with their political slush fund.

For example:
    Mr. Murdoch’s News Corporation played a larger and more directly partisan role in the 2010 elections than it is known to have played in any previous American campaign. The company gave $1 million to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, which largely worked to elect Republicans, and its News America division gave $1 million to the Republican Governors Association. New York Times

The Americans are much more open about who gives what than we are so who knows what's gone into British coffers.

All this aside. I find it quite scary that x million British people people read The Scum and x million people did read The News Of The Screws. A savage indictment on British 'culture' if ever there was one.

I have not an iota of sympathy for those who have been sacked. Without them the Madcocks would not have been able to perpetrate such trash.

Not too late to re-align your moral compass Martin.
  • T_T_2
    T_T_2 Posts: 880 Forumite
    Options
    KorkyKat wrote: »
    To work for or purchase anything from News Corporation or any of its subsidiaries would suggest a peculiar set of morals. Leaving aside hacking a dead child's mobile phone one shouldn't forget what the Madcocks do with their political slush fund.

So to clarify, based on the details of jamesd list of murdoch relates companies and products a few posts back, can you confirm korkykat, that you have never been responsible for a single penny going towards Mr. Murdochs empire?
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 July 2011 at 1:05AM
    Options
    gwinnie wrote: »
    Actually, purchasers are the commodity. It's the advertisers who provide the profit. And that includes films - noticed the amount of product placement in Hollywood blockbusters these days?
    Whether it's purchasing a ticket to a film, a TV channel package or purchasing advertising, it's all money in the coffers. For free TV viewing it's watching and being in the audience that counts, so best not to be if you're interested in removing money from the business.

I do purchase at least a some products from the group: one newspaper and several of the TV channels. May well cause me not to change from Virgin to Sky, though.

What will be interesting is if their business partners join the moves some of their employees are apparently considering and seek compensation for damage to their reputations because of the conduct engaged in. Martin is only one who may have a claim for harm in that area.
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't see how Martin could claim for harm when he was prepared to continue despite his forumites being disgusted with him.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • Jenna_Appleseed
    Jenna_Appleseed Posts: 4,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You've made The Independent -
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/business-diary-moral-maze-for-financial-guru-2308834.html
    "Martin Lewis, the self proclaimed "money saving expert" has got himself into something of a pickle over the hacking affair at the News of the World, where he writes a column dispensing financial wisdom. Lewis wrote on his hugely popular website on Tuesday that after wrestling with his conscience, he had decided to continue taking the Murdoch shilling – explaining that "the type of work I do necessitates compromises". Let's just say that most of the website users who commented on his decision were not entirely complimentary – and in a late update to the blog yesterday, Lewis reflected that, after all, he would be taking some time to reflect on the issues, during which time he would not be writing for the paper. Finally, of course — just hours later – James Murdoch opted to take the decision out of his hands."
    "And suddenly I find myself listening to a man I've never known before,
    Telling me about the sea..."
  • Stryder
    Stryder Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    Options
    Please confirm that you're not paying News Corporation money yourself for the following products or any of their others:

Newspapers and publications: The Sun, Scottish Sun or Irish Sun; The Times, The Sunday Times and The Times Literary Supplement; The New York Post, Dow Jones, The Wall Street Journal, Barron's, Marketwatch, any of the Dow Jones indexes.

Film studios: 20th Century Fox, Fox Starlight Pictures, Fox 2000 Pictures. Films distributed include Avatar, The Simpsons, Star Wars, Ice Age, Garfield, Alvin and the Chipmunks, X-Men, Die Hard, Alien, Speed, Revenge of the Nerds, Planet of the Apes, Home Alone, Dr. Dolittle, Night at the Museum, Predator, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and The Chronicles of Narnia. Future releases can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_20th_Century_Fox_films#2010s .

20th Century Fox Animation: includes Rio, Ice Age series films, TV series The Simpsons.

20th Century Fox Television: a list of some of the shows.

20th Television: Shows include The X-Files, Firefly and Buffy The Vampire Slayer

20th Century Fox Entertainment: Titanic and Avatar distributor. MGM and United Artists DVD releases.

New Regency Productions: films like Mr. & Mrs. Smith. (20% interest)

Regency Enterprises: upcoming film releases include Monte Carlo, What's Your Number?, The Darkest Hour, In Time, Contagion, Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked. (20% interest)

Fox TV productions and channels, including the National Geographic channels.

ITV television in the UK (7.5% interest), largest commercial broadcaster in the UK

British Sky Broadcasting (aka Sky) (39.1% controlling interest, looking to buy more).

Those who work for a company have a living to make. Purchasers are the ones who provide the profit.

Personally I would boycott News International just for cancelling Firefly and Doll's House

Just other reasons to hate the organisation
    ............... Have you ever wondered what
    ¦OO¬¬ O[]¦ Martin would look like
    ¦ _______ ¦ In a washing machine
    ¦ ((:money:)) ¦
    ¦
    ¦
    ¦''''''''''''""""""¦
  • Paulgonnabedebtfree
    Options
    Please confirm that you're not paying News Corporation money yourself for the following products or any of their others:

Newspapers and publications: The Sun, Scottish Sun or Irish Sun; The Times, The Sunday Times and The Times Literary Supplement; The New York Post, Dow Jones, The Wall Street Journal, Barron's, Marketwatch, any of the Dow Jones indexes.

Film studios: 20th Century Fox, Fox Starlight Pictures, Fox 2000 Pictures. Films distributed include Avatar, The Simpsons, Star Wars, Ice Age, Garfield, Alvin and the Chipmunks, X-Men, Die Hard, Alien, Speed, Revenge of the Nerds, Planet of the Apes, Home Alone, Dr. Dolittle, Night at the Museum, Predator, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and The Chronicles of Narnia. Future releases can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_20th_Century_Fox_films#2010s .

20th Century Fox Animation: includes Rio, Ice Age series films, TV series The Simpsons.

20th Century Fox Television: a list of some of the shows.

20th Television: Shows include The X-Files, Firefly and Buffy The Vampire Slayer

20th Century Fox Entertainment: Titanic and Avatar distributor. MGM and United Artists DVD releases.

New Regency Productions: films like Mr. & Mrs. Smith. (20% interest)

Regency Enterprises: upcoming film releases include Monte Carlo, What's Your Number?, The Darkest Hour, In Time, Contagion, Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked. (20% interest)

Fox TV productions and channels, including the National Geographic channels.

ITV television in the UK (7.5% interest), largest commercial broadcaster in the UK

British Sky Broadcasting (aka Sky) (39.1% controlling interest, looking to buy more).

It would appear that I have accidentally put a little money in Murdoch's pocket over the years via some of the films. That's why I said earlier that I haven't knowingly done so. I realise that these big corporations can have their fingers in many pies.
  • Stryder
    Stryder Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    Options
    Could not see his article online .... maybe he was not important enough to grace the final edition ( i may be wrong, did not read for so long)

Whilst attacks on the BBC, Hugh Grant, fanatical talk of evil peados (whilst not reporting the death of 1000 of children of starvation in Africa), Page 3 girls and celeb tittle tattle remind me all the good reasons why it should have been closed years ago.

Good riddance to tomorrows chip paper
    ............... Have you ever wondered what
    ¦OO¬¬ O[]¦ Martin would look like
    ¦ _______ ¦ In a washing machine
    ¦ ((:money:)) ¦
    ¦
    ¦
    ¦''''''''''''""""""¦
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories