'My column at the News of the World' blog discussion

Options

Comments

• Boss79
    Boss79 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Just as most other people are disgusted about the hacking revelations at the NOTW I reacted with utter revulsion.
    But I do understand where Martin is coming from. A lot of people did read it and yes there are many people he has helped, probably back from the brink of financial suicide.
    But let's get Martin's involvement into perspective. He wrote a column for the paper, he didn't do the hacking, neither was he involved in it. He has made the mistake of taking the editor on trust. How many of us have done the same just to be let down by someone we know? It is easier to be wise after the event. After all who of us has never made a mistake? "Let he that is sinless cast the first stone" and all that....
  • Outpost
    Outpost Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    Options
    I think it would lend more credence many of these posts if people had the bottle to post them under their actual usernames rather than registering new accounts to express their support or disapproval at Martin's actions/inactions over the last few days.

Having to register a new username to put one's opinion forward smacks of a lack of conviction and courage.
    :cool:
  • Gorgeous_George
    Gorgeous_George Posts: 7,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have only read some of the posts. I can see that some people are vindictive and want their ounce of flesh. Isn't hindsight wonderful?

We live in an imperfect world. We cannot imagine that our actions (or inactions) will bite us on the bum.

Personally, I don't buy newspapers. The Sun and NOTW were banned in my home many years ago - partly because they were trash and partly because of the Sun's boast about winning the general election for the Tories. I never expected the phone hacking scandal to bring an end to the NOTW - although I wholeheartedly welcome its demise. I hope that NOTHING replaces it. I'd like to see the Sun suffer a similar death.

I think Marttin is being unfairly targetted by the hindsight-seers.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Outpost wrote: »
    I think it would lend more credence many of these posts if people had the bottle to post them under their actual usernames rather than registering new accounts to express their support or disapproval at Martin's actions/inactions over the last few days.

Having to register a new username to put one's opinion forward smacks of a lack of conviction and courage.
    Why would you want to assume they are regular members? Might help if you didn't project your standards onto others you know. The blogs, the polls go into emails and several newbies join in these discussions, if you'd want to have a look at the pattern of posts before you launch your snidey accusations.

Likewise your post would lend more credence if you want to address the content of what's being commented about this twitch hunting and mob mentality instead of attempting to intimidate and out the newbies. I suggest you stick with your intimidation tactics in the arms and old style board where it is a culture and trend to harass folks, not where everyone is invited to join in discussions.
  • Outpost
    Outpost Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    Options
    meher wrote: »
    I suggest you stick with your intimidation tactics in the arms and old style board where it is a culture and trend to harass folks, not where everyone is invited to join in discussions.
    What on Earth are you blathering on about?
    :cool:
  • bunking_off
    bunking_off Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Options
    I joined this board back in 2004. It's been a while since I've logged on to post, although I occasionally pop by to read a few posts. Reading this thread has caused me to trawl my email archive to find my password again.

Never have I come across such venomous bile directed at an individual who I sincerely believe has acted in good faith. Whether by providing expert advice himself, or a free facility for the exchange of ideas, Martin has saved people countless amounts of money. Personally my savings probably run into thousands. Reading this little lot, he must be wondering why he bothered.

Personal opinion, Martin did make a mistake and probably should have resigned his position at the NOTW last week. However, it was a difficult decision and anyone who can sit and type that they've never made a mistake is a liar. Getting that wrong does not warrant the abuse he has faced on this thread, and is certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

I do hope those who are so offended by Martin's decision do the right thing and walk away. If you're so offended, you'll not have the need to use the facilities here. This board is not the friendly one that I joined all those years ago.
    I really must stop loafing and get back to work...
  • madmuppet5
    madmuppet5 Posts: 5,575 Forumite
    Options
    Slightly off topic but I bet the Sunday Sport are regretting closing earlier this year :D
    AKA; Mad, MM, MM5, Madicles :cool: ©
    Shin: Device for finding furniture in the dark :p©
    Elite 11+ fundraising total for Make-a-Wish £682 :j:A
  • Stryder
    Stryder Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2011 at 9:20PM
    Options
    just a thought, but what % of this sites income is via the highly promoted Sky affiliated links?
    it seems MSE likes News Corp for many reasons....
    guess us annoyed people will have to give up asking for a response and leave the thread... just a shame the site will be tainted by a rather bitter taste
    ............... Have you ever wondered what
    ¦OO¬¬ O[]¦ Martin would look like
    ¦ _______ ¦ In a washing machine
    ¦ ((:money:)) ¦
    ¦
    ¦
    ¦''''''''''''""""""¦
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What actually could Martin say now to make it better? Whatever he says now could be held against him in the future.

Sometimes it is best to say nothing at all publicly.

It is a disappointment that he didn't take a principled stand, it is a shame for him that he 'mused' on it in public. If he hadn't written his blog, I wouldn't have particularly known that he did write for NOTW. However, I came to the site from an article in the Times.

Maybe it is time to close this thread and start afresh with any new issues.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • flimsier
    flimsier Posts: 799 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    whitewing wrote: »
    What actually could Martin say now to make it better? Whatever he says now could be held against him in the future.

Sometimes it is best to say nothing at all publicly.

It is a disappointment that he didn't take a principled stand, it is a shame for him that he 'mused' on it in public. If he hadn't written his blog, I wouldn't have particularly known that he did write for NOTW. However, I came to the site from an article in the Times.

Maybe it is time to close this thread and start afresh with any new issues.

Yeah, it's blown over as far as I'm concerned. Maybe he could say "I wish I'd resigned when I wrote the blog, but hindsight is a powerful thing".

The blog was badly worded, mealy mouthed, and that's because it was trying to justify something not justifiable. I guess just admitting "I made a mistake" would make things better.
    Can we just take it as read I didn't mean to offend you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure