PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Elisheba
    Elisheba Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 30 June 2011 at 2:52PM
    Options
    This is my first challenge as well. Really looking forward to it! It will be a big thing for us just to stick to budget, but over time I hope to be able to reduce what we spend a lot. We have huge debts, but if we just stick to budget we can manage, and if we get under budget we might be able to put a bit aside for something nice!

I just worked out that at least 10% of our allocated annual food budget is spent on pizza! And thats only one fancy pizza each a week! Thats just insane:eek:.

Think I've convinced DH that we should go HM for bread and pizza bases at the least, and we will see where else we can save. Got pretty full fridges and freezers just now, and away for a week this month so July should fine.

Other plans include making sure we make and stick to food plans, getting the best deals on essentials, packing in smoking completely - no crafty cigs at the weekend, probably getting rid of Sky, and looking at our mobile phones when they get out of contract. Also thought we could pay for everything in cash, and keep the monthly housekeeping money in a pot where we put the receipts and things as well. Then if we have any left over, we can see it in cash at the end of the month. Think that would be a good motivator!
    Live the good life where you have been planted.
    Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2022 - 15 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2023 - 6 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2024 - 67 remaining out of 72 My Frugal, Thrifty Moneysaving Diary
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Options
    £150 for me for July please

Ta

Lizzy
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • miss_corerupted
    miss_corerupted Posts: 3,486 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Can I join please? I have recently started keeping a spending diary and we spent £296 (I think, sheet is at home) so if I aim for £250 for 2 adults and 1 and a half children (stepson only comes over 3-4 times a week). I feel that should be do able.
    I have dyslexia, so get used to my spelling and grammar :)
    Mortgage pay off date 11/2028. Target 12/2020 :rotfl:
    Current Balance £33921
    Declutter 2123/2016
  • cookiemum
    cookiemum Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Please can you put me down for £300 again this month.

Already had a Mr A delivery to refill cupboards so need to update sig. Off to Mum's for tea so saving already!

Good luck everyone:)

February Grocery Challenge £301.46/300
    To feed - Me, DH, DD, DS and 1 dog

• Eyebright
    Eyebright Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    This is my first month taking part in the GC, so am very excited to see how well we can do! Already had our first shop delivered by MrA for July which came to £46.93. So far so good as the last few times the shop has to come to between £60 and £80!
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    1 debt vs 100 days #14 20/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2020 50/500
    EF Saving 285/500
  • Craftyscholar
    Craftyscholar Posts: 3,403 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to all those who run this thread.
    Can you put me down for £85 again for this month please?
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    welcome to the GC DSANDC, good luck to everyone, especially our newbies
    we can do this! :beer:

karen thanks for info re c00p offers, we don't get their leaflet inm the free paper any more
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • toddles*
    toddles* Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for starting the thread,

can you please put me down for £250 this month thank you

this will include my holiday spends for my weekend away
    Happy days
  • zpr1c3
    zpr1c3 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I really should read and post here more often for motivation! Have gone completely over-budget, finishing at £385!! :(

I would like to be put down for £300 for July, this is to include one big shop next week, as I am moving so have run down my store cupboard completely. I am also going to include all other money spent including take-away's as I am moving and am still looking for a job so have one very small income only.

Hope everyone is okay, and thank you to everyone that runs this thread.

Zoe
    Grocery challenge: May £246.29/£250, June £385/£200, July £400/£300, August £198/£200, September £128.53/£120
    NSD's: June 8/10, July 14/10 :j , August 11/12, September 12/12
  • CupcakeLisa
    CupcakeLisa Posts: 599 Forumite
    Options
    Can i be put down for £160 for July

im increasing my budget so i can buy a slow cooker!
    Best Wins - New York Trip, going Nov 2014: £350 House of Frazer Vouchers: £70 Handbag: Nitro Circus Live Tickets
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure