Discuss the free solar panel company: A Shade Greener

Options

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    K4blades wrote: »
    Graham, Zeup, Cardew, if you are so intelligent, why can you not follow this simple instruction.
    THIS THREAD IS FOR PEOPLE WHO'VE USED ASG, IF YOU HAVEN'T, THEN GO SOMEWHERE ELSE, or are you so determined to stick the verbal boot into everything you disagree with, that your arrogance means you can ignore such instruction.

Since MSE Andea posted my only input was to tell someone where his missing post had been moved.

As you have a commercial interest in promoting ASG, it is understandable you would like this thread to contain nothing but posts in praise of that firm.

Andrea requested that people give their feedback on ASG. Instead we get silly emotive posts where hopes, dreams and opinions are presented as factual information; which quite obviously you would like not to be challenged.

So with your vested commercial interest in ASG, I suggest you stop trying to be a moderator and declare your interest in any future post on PV systems.
  • cheesedoffwithdebt
    Options
    I am not sure why the discussion has had to get so emotive- I've found ASG to be more than helpful- not had the panels put up yet but they have been great!
    now debt free and determined to maintain good spending habits and build savings
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Options
    XRayDave wrote: »
    Please, therefore, leave this discussion thread to do exactly what it says in the title - to Discuss the Solar Power Company - A Shade Greener and provide the feedback asked by the MSE Moderator/Staff Member MSE Jenny - specifically:

"This thread is specifically to discuss feedback for A Shade Greener

XRayDave

I'm a little confused by that. Aren't (almost) all posts on here discussing feedback for ASG?

I don't think this thread was created to give a carte blanche for anyone with asg panels or those who install then to simply say anything without a discussion on the more unlikely claims.

My impression from this and other threads is that asg are a decent professional company and, ironically, the only person putting them in an unprofessional light is the person who has in the past had some sort of business relationship with them. If I required free panels, I'd probably look to another company for fear of that person turning up to install them at my house.
  • XRayDave
    XRayDave Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Well I see that censorship is alive and well and living on the MSE forums.

Not only has my post requesting folks to stop bickering and get back on topic been deleted but my PM to the moderators has also disappeared from my "Sent Items".

At this point, I really don't care about this forum or the folks that constantly squabble between themselves like infant school children. This has shown me that the site is not as impartial as it claims to be and for that reason - I shan't be returning.

Whenever I have posted I have always tried to be helpful and informative and not indulged in the in-fighting that seems to have developed between several members over the past few months, with their posts becoming more and more testosterone-fuelled.

To have a post deleted without the courtesey of an explanation is, at the very least, rather bad manners. To delete a PM to a moderator (presumably by a Moderator - that moderator??) - again without explanation - is, I feel unforgivable.

Why did I bother to come back?

So Sayonara, Auf Wiedersehen and Dosvedaniya
  • haughtonomous
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Many people would choose the the house without PV panels.

All the advice is therefore that you should buy your own system and pocket all the money.

Well, yes, but you have to offset that cost against the savings. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. So you choose - rent your roof at no cost and make some savings on the energy bill, or fork out for your own system and take all the savings - and over a long period you may make more money overall. Obviously you will or otherwise the rent-a-roof firms' business model wouldn't hold up.

And don't forget to take into account the interest you will pay on the cost of installing your own system, if you choose to purchase one outright and borrow the capital.

Then there's the question of moving home during the 'rent' period. Will you recoup your capital by selling at a higher price, if you choose to buy outright? That's a gamble. You might, you might not. By 'renting the roof' you don't take that chance.
  • Cardew
    Options
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

See post #42 above where Andrea has requested that this thread is specific to A Shade Greener.

If you post in one of the other threads on solar 'Rent a roof' your points can be discussed.
  • maddoxs
    Options
    the site states that shadegreener is still fitting free. i made an enquiry last week and within an hr i had an email saying that the costs to fit would be too high re scafolding. i thanked them for replying quickly but sent an email asking if the problem was because i had a conservatory? my roof is south facing and catches the sun all day so i was alittle unsure why i was turned down. i asked what the extra costs re scaffolding would be. i am still awaiting a reply from that email and a further email a couple of days later.
    i can only assume that now they would only be getting half the revenue (with the gov cutting the tariff) they are not interested.
    i only wanted a civil reply but got silence. Not good!!!
  • I_am_Stealth
    Options
    My first post on this forum, I am only posting because I am revolted by the arguments presented by many people on this thread that claim agressively to know what they are talking about. I have been posting on many technical forums for years though.

1. aShade greener website is pretty annoying, much following the pattern of an website of an obscure company that sells something not well known to most people. They don't properly explain the system, they just throw in lots of FAQs and Feedback and how famous they are and how expert they are...
    YES, I am interested in the panels, that was the reason I looked at their website but a lot of the the information is not there, or if it is it is scattered in an markerting way across the website. And this was how i found this thread. Got all the info I needed for now...

2. For the sake of this planet, savings in money is much larger than saving in kW, regardless who gets the money in the case of ASG.

3.Cardew, your posts have more scientific arguments than many others that should louder instead.
  • Cardew
    Options
    2. For the sake of this planet, savings in money is much larger than saving in kW, regardless who gets the money in the case of ASG.

3.Cardew, your posts have more scientific arguments than many others that should louder instead.

Welcome to the forum.

Firstly from all the reports we see on MSE there are some cowboy Rent a Roof firms. That very much doesn't apply to ASG and there have been nothing but postitive comments about the firm.

That shouldn't and doesn't prevent very valid criticism of a system that allows these firms to exist and draw huge subsidies - that are paid for by other electricity customers, the vast majority of whom have no opportunity to have solar PV. This includes flat dwellers, those renting and includes the poorest in our land.

Secondly the huge level of the subsidy(FIT). Currently it is 43.1p per kWh. It is goiing to drop to 16.8p per kWh and ASG,(and some other firms) with still carry on with their business at that lower rate - that gives some indication of their profit margin.

ASG are just one firm, yet they have installed to date 5,261 systems which give them an annual income of £7,000,000 - paid for by the 99+% who haven't got solar.

If it doesn't matter to you who gets the money!!! Then the Government should insist that we don't have tiny systems on roofs dotted all over the country. Instead we should have large solar farms on supermarket/factory roofs and brownfield sites in the West Country, where solar production is at its highest in UK, and the benefits of centralisation are obvious.

Even better would be to have UK funded solar farms in the South of France and bring the electricity to UK via the Interconnector*

* The interconnector is a large 'cable' the brings cheap French Nuclear generated power to UK.

However solar power at our latitudes is just a nonsense anyway.
  • Mrsannoyed
    Options
    I've wanted solar panels for some time and when I heard about a Shade Greener I was very interested and had seen neighbouring homes have them installed.
    I contacted them and a visit was arranged to discuss, during this visit I asked several questions only to be told by the representative any questions would be answered by the surveyor on his visit. When the surveyor came I asked him only to be told my questions would be answered by the home visitor mmmn!
    I asked all 3 of these people if they had solar panels on their homes and all 3 answered no
    I asked how often they carried out maintenance on the fixtures & fittings (not the panels) apparently they don't require any maintenance at all during the 25 years, I may be a bit thick being a woman and all but I don't want a panel to fall off because of any rusted or loose fittings - surely they'll need some sort of check during this time.
    Another question was what would happen if I changed my mind in 10/15 years and wanted them removing
    ASG I can't
    Me what if I got someone to remove them
    ASG you can't
    Me but what if I did what would you do what would be the penalties
    ASG I don't know
    Another question was what happens if ASG go into liquidation
    So there you have it I'm very keen to save the environment and harness solar power and the fact it saves me money is just great but 25 years is a long time how do I know saving money in the short term won't cost me dear in the long term.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback