Discuss the free solar panel company: A Shade Greener

Options

Comments

• M4ximillion
    M4ximillion Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    K4blades,

Last year Sarah Dyson(from ASG) didn't dispute a figure of £100 a year and we had some discussion based on that figure.

P.S.

Can you quote that post that you keep bringing up cause from what Sarah has said to me in her emails (cause i asked her about it) she really cant remember it and i quote

I think it is very likely that he is quoting me out of context, probably to do with minimum savings, but I can't be sure because I truly can't remember. However, he keeps bringing it up ad nauseam so I'd really like to be directed to the actual post. In any event I'm quite sure it was before we even started installing and getting feedback. In the early days before we started installing we didn't really know what type of savings people would make, which is why we didn't make any concrete claims or promises.

:)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Also, can you tell me which power company to go to to who is only charging 10p per kwhour (inc 5% VAT i presume??) because i'll switch immediately;)

)

This was posted 03 July 2011 in the green forum (comments in italics are my edit)
    In my area -Midlands- tier 2 prices per kWh(all prices include VAT):

British Gas - 9.181p plus discounts to reduce it further.(that is the pre-increase rate announced yesterday)

Co-Op 9.093p

EDF -9.46p - plus discounts to reduce it further

EON 9.922p - plus discounts to reduce it further

OVO 9.71p

NPower 9.45p - plus discounts to reduce it further

Others who charge just over 10P e.g. Scottish power @ 10.248p have discounts that will reduce it below 10p. (that is their post increase rate)
  • Cardew
    Options
    Can you quote that post that you keep bringing up cause from what Sarah has said to me in her emails (cause i asked her about it) she really cant remember it and i quote

I think it is very likely that he is quoting me out of context, probably to do with minimum savings, but I can't be sure because I truly can't remember. However, he keeps bringing it up ad nauseam so I'd really like to be directed to the actual post. In any event I'm quite sure it was before we even started installing and getting feedback. In the early days before we started installing we didn't really know what type of savings people would make, which is why we didn't make any concrete claims or promises.

:)

Go do a search!

That implies that ASG do now make concrete claims or promises; can you tell me what they are?
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 July 2011 at 10:33AM
    Options
    Right! So according to you, Cardew, a saving is only a saving if it is directly attributable to the free solar leccy. So, the fact that my consumption from the grid is down by 45% to what it was last year is enntirely irrelevant? So, that means that when my annual bill is down by £200 this year it is irrelevant and meaningless because I cant PROVE that it is to do with the panels on my roof. Fair enough Guess what? I dont care! All Im bothered about is saving money and thats what Im doing - Im a happy happy bunny:D

Cardew you defy logic!
    (and are starting to sound desperate)

Also, can you tell me which power company to go to to who is only charging 10p per kwhour (inc 5% VAT i presume??) because i'll switch immediately;)

(Just edited this cause just realised there is a page 2 and didn't notice all the other posts on page 2 till now. Thought this thread was to do with ASG feedback but now noticed it is becoming another discussion thread where the anti bullies are populating once again. Am actually responding to Cardews post on page 1. )
    Hi

Regarding 'a saving is only a saving if it is directly attributable to the free solar leccy.' ... as the claimed saving by the pv supplier, whoever is to own it, must be related to the pv system only, then this is definately the case, morally, logically and in the eyes of the law.

If, after having a pv system installed, the householder decided to turn off all electrical appliances and go on holiday for a year, following the logic you propose, when analysed the electricity saved would be as a result of the pv installation, which is so obviously not the case.

Everyone has the ability to reduce their energy consumption without having solar pv installed. Whether the energy consumption is reduced before installation, or after installation the savings available from the reduction measures and the saving available from the solar pv generation displacing energy import requirements are exactly the same, therefore both the pv industry & those who choose to only address energy consumption after installation should not exaggerate the potential pv savings ..... it is misleading, and it is wrong.

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • M4ximillion
    M4ximillion Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Go do a search!

The thing is Cardew when Sarah said she couldnt remember saying that i did do a search one Saturday on all her posts cause i wanted an excuse not to do the ironing:D And I couldnt find the one youre referring to so perhaps you let me know which one it is, seeiing as youre always bringing it up.

You also said:
    That implies that ASG do now make concrete claims or promises; can you tell me what they are?

Why dont you email them and pretend to be a member of the public making enquiries and see what response you get back???

What i have is my own experience of them and they didnt make any claims or promises, they always said that every house is different and that my savings would be down to how i manage my daytime electricity usage. They also put me in touch with some other of their customers and i got their feedback.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The thing is Cardew when Sarah said she couldnt remember saying that i did do a search one Saturday on all her posts cause i wanted an excuse not to do the ironing:D And I couldnt find the one youre referring to so perhaps you let me know which one it is, seeiing as youre always bringing it up.

You also said:

Why dont you email them and pretend to be a member of the public making enquiries and see what response you get back???

What i have is my own experience of them and they didnt make any claims or promises, they always said that every house is different and that my savings would be down to how i manage my daytime electricity usage. They also put me in touch with some other of their customers and i got their feedback.
    Hi

Well I just trawled the threads and found this post quite quickly ..... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=34190345#post34190345, which was both thanked by, and acknowledged by Sarah in the following post ....
    SarahLucyD wrote: »
    Cardew - a very fair and balanced post, as usual. I particularly agree with your comments too about the MCS cartel. It is keeping the price of panels ridiculously high and will continue to do so.

Regards - Sarah ASG
    Everyone will note that the figures posed were not challenged and the logic applied was classified as being 'fair and balanced'. This particular exchange of posts would lead me to believe that there was a general consensus on the available savings at that point in time ..... QED

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Cardew
    Options

You also said:

M4ximillion,

In the past, every time your points were countered by myself, you seemed to get more upset and resorted to personal attacks and plain rudeness.

If you look back, on all the posts about ASG I have generally been complimentary about the firm, and was particularly annoyed when Sarah was prevented posting by some small minded people complaining.

Once again in your post above you have apparently got the wrong end of the stick.

To my knowledge ASG have never made claims about monetary savings for their systems. That indeed is exactly what you also have stated.

However you have seen fit to post an email from Sarah in which she states:
    In the early days before we started installing we didn't really know what type of savings people would make, which is why we didn't make any concrete claims or promises.

That to my mind implies they do now make concrete claims or promises – i.e. they didn’t in the early days, but they do now!

Or how would you read the above quote?

After our exchange of posts #32 and #34, are you intending to move suppliers as you indicated you would? - You haven't acknowledged my helpful post;)

I would really surprised if ASG didn’t have a pretty good idea how many kWh their customers would, on average, use in the house. If they believe that the EST estimate of typical 25% savings of generated power(around 750 kWh pa for ASG systems worth around £75) is wrong, why don’t they challenge the figures?

Why not give a monetary figure of typical savings? instead of relying on happy owners like yourself to give unverified savings; and referring to those on their website and communications.

Just one last point, I have always stated my objection to the Government allowing ‘Rent a Roof ‘ firms to exploit a clear loophole(IMO) that allows these firms to claim the huge subsidies meant for individuals – subsidies that are paid for by all consumers including the poorest in the land. As someone said like ‘Robin Hood in Reverse’.

That point made more eloquently by zeupater above; as well as many others.
    Secondly, I will state that my only gripe with the 'rent-a-roof' operators is their ability to claim FiTs on an industrial scale commercial basis at a level which was designed to be appropriate for consumer funded domestic systems and I will continue to classify this as being a clever, but unfair, use of a loophole in the drafting of the FiT scheme.
  • chris1973
    chris1973 Posts: 965 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 July 2011 at 8:41PM
    Options
    I love it when an entire thread is derailed by two or three people who can't agree with each others' differing opinion and it turns into a virtual ping pong match going on and on and on, since 6th July this thread has been dominated by input from the same few people, non of which will ever agree to see the others' point.

Just agree to disagree and move on, because nobody wins an argument on the internet and the lack of input from other 'viewers' during this period may just be a strong and visible indication that nobody cares, either for the topic or the personality clash which it has now turned into.

Perhaps its time to just let the thread die a natural death.

Just a thought!.
    "Dont expect anybody else to support you, maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse, but you never know when each one, might run out" - Mary Schmich
  • RussGreen
    Options
    Mr Cardew you seem negative on every thread towards a shade greener what is your problem.
    You have hijacked this from people who just want to report there experience dealing with this company.
    You keep bringing up the money card all the time but we are people who could not afford to buy our panels so why bring this up its not relevant.
    If i save 20p a day it a bonus so get a life and leave us all to get on with our decision to have free panels by this company.
    You annoyed every one on the other threads you commented on what is the matter, are you bored with life and just a busybody who got turned down on some free solar panels.

Russ.
  • ivavoucher
    ivavoucher Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 July 2011 at 3:04PM
    Options
    Hi Cardew

I really do want to thank you for your input to this thread.
    I just came across this thread while looking at maybe switching energy supplier.

In the recent past I was upgrading the heating and hot water system in my home and considered solar panels so when I saw " Discuss the free solar panel company: A Shade Greener " I thought I’d check it out.

After reading a few posts I went to the website and I must say it looks good, I checked my postcode, Great I can have free panels.
    My first though was that this must be a government grant and that is how I could get it free and the supplier would make money too.

I then came back to read the rest of this thread.

I don't care what the other poster state, it is your posts that have been the most informing and helped me come to my decision quickly, thanks for that.

I see some people have had it installed and are happy but I have got to say that for a saving of £70, £100 or even £200 per year and all the implications of a 25 year agreement I’ts not for me. I see troubles ahead.

The manner of some of the responses you have provoked have been quite interesting too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback