Discuss the free solar panel company: A Shade Greener

Options

Comments

• grufferator
    Options
    Hello. I have made an offer on a house that I liked and it has been accepted one week ago. I didn't pay much attention to the solar panels and had no idea those things are leased. I just assumed the seller owns it. The seller did not mention anything about the panels, nor did the estate agency.

Today I've bought the £3 title register on the property and discovered the panels are on lease for 25 years starting 2012. The lender is Gcp Rooftop Solar 6 Ltd and the owner is A Shady Greener. The mortgage advisor was due to apply for the mortgage tomorrow, so I have told him to postpone the application.

I have asked the estate agency to send me the paperwork asap, but it's been a few days and nothing yet. What should I do? Does it make sense to go ahead with the solicitor, pay them the initial fee of £250 so they can start the searches, or should I just pool out my offer and run away from it?
  • ThinnedSlicely
    Options
    Hello. I have made an offer on a house that I liked and it has been accepted one week ago. I didn't pay much attention to the solar panels and had no idea those things are leased. I just assumed the seller owns it. The seller did not mention anything about the panels, nor did the estate agency.

Today I've bought the £3 title register on the property and discovered the panels are on lease for 25 years starting 2012. The lender is Gcp Rooftop Solar 6 Ltd and the owner is A Shady Greener. The mortgage advisor was due to apply for the mortgage tomorrow, so I have told him to postpone the application.

I have asked the estate agency to send me the paperwork asap, but it's been a few days and nothing yet. What should I do? Does it make sense to go ahead with the solicitor, pay them the initial fee of £250 so they can start the searches, or should I just pool out my offer and run away from it?
    You can see my story on the previous page. That was three years ago, and it really stalled the sale of our house (we had the Solar Panels and needed to get the contract amended to include a paragraph that the buyer solicitors wanted).

If ASG really are uncontactable, that will be a massive problem for the people you are trying to buy from, and ultimately, for you too. I'd be very careful with it, and if you do go ahead, give your solicitor the heads-up and hope they're on the ball

According to filings at Companies House, they're still trading: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/06922318/filing-history

Good luck!
  • grufferator
    Options
    Thanks for the message. As I can see - you sorted the problem is 7 days back then. Since then things might've change, and it can be either worse, either better. Due to the housing market being crazy at the moment - I have to assume they are very busy at the moment, especially when everyone is working from home, so things are most likely worse than 3 years ago. I have already asked my mortgage advisor to postpone the application to the lender until I know more. I really don't need those panels in my life if I will only save 200£-250£. I think I will ask the estate agency to confirm in max 1 week if the seller is willing to buy the panels and end the lease on them. If the answer is no - I pull out the offer.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
     I really don't need those panels in my life if I will only save 200£-250£.
    From the many posts from solar panel owners, I doubt if a 3.3kWp display will produce anything like a £200 to £250pa saving; even with a device to divert electricity to, say, an immersion heater(an immersun or similar) and ASG didn't fit them.

• grufferator
    Options
    Cardew said:
     I really don't need those panels in my life if I will only save 200£-250£.
    From the many posts from solar panel owners, I doubt if a 3.3kWp display will produce anything like a £200 to £250pa saving; even with a device to divert electricity to, say, an immersion heater(an immersun or similar) and ASG didn't fit them.

What are the average savings per year? At the moment I pay just 80£pm with Bulb for both energy and gas, so really I would rather have the buyer take them to a skip and get rid of them.
  • ElephantBoy57
    Options
    What are the average savings per year? At the moment I pay just 80£pm with Bulb for both energy and gas, so really I would rather have the buyer take them to a skip and get rid of them.
    I could be that the seller is aware that the panels will cause an issue and is willing to sort out any problem.
    If you really want to buy/sell a house should having solar panels put u off?
    I have eight solar panels, which do reduce my bills, but my panels FIT generate £80 per quarter for my bank ballance. I would still get solar panels, even without the £80 per quarter. But then, I concider myself to be an environmentalist, people even buy electric cars these days.
    I wouldnt be put off by Japaneese knot weed either. In my opinion people can over react.
    Use the situation to get a discount, solar panels can be a positive.

• grufferator
    Options
    I could be that the seller is aware that the panels will cause an issue and is willing to sort out any problem.
    I do not think the seller is aware. When we've had the viewings, it seemed like she did not really know anything about them, and could not really tell how much is she saving. She also did not know how it works on a technical level. It's been one week and she still hasn't sent the paperwork to her solicitor. This makes me think I might be the 1st person who actually asked about the panels. Even though she has been trying to sell the house for a few months - she doesn't have the documents scanned yet.
  • Pearl2
    Options
    You may be interested in the information on the Shade Greener website - ashadegreener.co.uk/sell-your-home-solar

• grufferator
    Options
    I have sent an email to Shade Greener's law department, and surprisingly they've replied back in 1.5h. Obviously they refused to give me any information on this property as I'm not the owner, but can it mean that things have changed in recent years and their legal department and customer service have improved since?
  • grufferator
    Options
    I have eight solar panels

Can you, just by looking at the pictures, tell what kind of panels are these?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback