'Shop staff quoted nonsense rights at me...' blog discussion

Comments

• rickbonar
    rickbonar Posts: 448 Forumite
    Mind you it was made in UK ........... the label that is!
  • rickbonar
    tara747 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

6 bags of stuff for £450? I've filled 3 for £40 before!!!!

The other lady did say it was around Christmas and all the shops put the prices way up a few months before ready for Christmas...........
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    Looby123 wrote: »
    I'm a newbie on here so apologies, I wasnt sure how to post or where to put this, so its here!!!

I bought a Dell Inspiron laptop from Tesco direct and collected it instore on 3rd April. Last Saturday it decided not to work at all.. programs disappeared and couldnt easily log on/off to laptop at all...

I spent 10 hours on Saturday trying to reboot and restore to factory settings to see if this helped - it didnt. Eventually I sued Dells PC check on their free support section - everything passed except the hard drive, which failed.

Dell advised me they could repair it, but I said I wanted Tesco to refund or replace the item as I dont want a repair that could possibly go wrong again in a few months. Dell advised that Tescos should honour my request as the laptop is only 2 months old.

Today, Tescos have refused to replace or refund my laptop - they say that they're prepapred to repair it and thats good enough under SOGA - I explained that 2 months wasnt a satisfactory timeframe for me and that I wanted a replacement - they refused telling me to contact Trading Standards. I have done this, however all they've advised me to do is write to Tescos asking for a replacement or refund. Whilst I'm happy to do this, I'm concerned that this will take weeks to resolve, and in the mean time I'm without my laptop.. having to use my desktop whiich is a major inconvenience!

Apparently I cant just walk into Tesco and ask for a refund/replacement as it was ordered from Tesco Direct - so Direct have to agree to replace or refund, which they will only do once a technical expert confirms a problem - but once I speak to them, they're only response is that they can replace the hard drive!!

I feel completely shafted as I really want to stick to my priinciples and fight Tesco for a replacement/refund... however if they dig their heels in, I cannot afford to take them to court.. even though I feel confident I'd win! I mean, seriously, who DOESNT expect a laptop to last longer than 2 months!!!!

any advice welcome!

i'd say it depends what's wrong with it. The 'fault' could just be a loose hard drive connection or the operating system wasn't installed properly, so it isn't actually broken.
  • Old_Wrinkly
    Old_Wrinkly Posts: 5,182 Forumite
    From the article :
    "So, I couldn’t the jacket return"

Is Martin turning into Yoda? ;):D
  • kittykitten
    kittykitten Posts: 418 Forumite
    Any idea where you stand in terms of returning to another branch of the store under the SoG act? A friend of mine is embroiled in a long argument with a high street store as she bought a top for her niece while on a trip to london. Top clearly has a sticker on it and a label attached with one of those plastic thingies that you have to cut off, saying that the top is size medium. But when they got the top home and niece tried it on it was obviously small, confirmed by the stitched in label inside. Friend was going to cut her losses until I told her I thought she had the right to return it under SoG act (obviously not as described on label!) so she took it back to our local branch of the store only to be told she'd have to return it to the branch she originally bought from and even then they didn't think it'd be exchanged or refunded!

A trip to London is a 400 mile round trip, so no chance of exchanging it any time soon. I feel she still has a case (has the receipt, so proof of purchase) top has obviously never been worn, but she wants to give up.
    OS weight loss challenge: 4.5/6 lbs
  • rickbonar
    Any idea where you stand in terms of returning to another branch of the store under the SoG act? A friend of mine is embroiled in a long argument with a high street store as she bought a top for her niece while on a trip to london. Top clearly has a sticker on it and a label attached with one of those plastic thingies that you have to cut off, saying that the top is size medium. But when they got the top home and niece tried it on it was obviously small, confirmed by the stitched in label inside. Friend was going to cut her losses until I told her I thought she had the right to return it under SoG act (obviously not as described on label!) so she took it back to our local branch of the store only to be told she'd have to return it to the branch she originally bought from and even then they didn't think it'd be exchanged or refunded!

A trip to London is a 400 mile round trip, so no chance of exchanging it any time soon. I feel she still has a case (has the receipt, so proof of purchase) top has obviously never been worn, but she wants to give up.

Ludicrous to return to the shop in person and not true anyway it's a question of whether it is as described - which it isn't... why don't you tell the name of the shop?

Sometimes they are franchises which is a bit different to a chain store. And you could do it through the post in theory but some of these you can't trust as you know they can be very slimy and slippery operators.

It depends how much you paid and so forth, too.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I would like staff to be given a written test regarding returns.Surely a simple multiple choice test would be enough.I would like to ask why retailers dont do this,I can only think that they think it would increase their returns,and if so,that is very very poor.
    I myself have taken back a pair of hubbys shoes ,different sizes) to be told, "We cant return them they've been worn!-Next

A shawl,that I had been promised a refund on if it was unsuitable " We dont do returns"-Independant shop

Some fabric that was shedding fluff "no-one else has complained"-John Lewis

I think that Bosses are not aware that misguided staff are bypassing managers to give wrong descisions.This happens a lot.So if the staff had some basic training,they would know to pass the query on to a Manager if they were not sure.I even saw something printed in yellow pages once about consumer rights-it was wrong!
  • wozearly
    wozearly Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    meerustar wrote: »
    Here's a tricky one .. what rights does the buyer have here?

Someone buys a football shirt for their child with a players name and number already printed on the back. The shirt is a brand new design for the 2011/12 season so the shirt can be worn for 2 years (before they change the design again)

Before the 2011/12 season, the player on the shirt moves to another club. The shirt is 3 weeks old.

Is the person entitled to a refund or exchange for another shirt??

Legally I think the answer would be no - there's nothing wrong or unexpected about the shirt in the condition it was delivered in. But if someone purchased from the club shop, I imagine they might be more willing to consider an exchange, given the situation. ;)
  • wozearly
    wozearly Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Looby123 wrote: »
    hi.. does anyone have any advice on this - do I have to accept the repair, or does anyone agree with me that after 2 months a laptop hard drive should not fail and therefore i should get a replacement.. or if theres none in stock, a full refund?
    many thanks x

Looby, I'd let them take it for repair. Without knowing what the failure is, or what caused it, its very difficult to judge whether its likely to be a recurring problem or (IMO more likely) a minor fault in a connection or how its been set up, as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Ultimately, all they're asking for is the chance to have a look for themselves to see what's wrong and whether it can be fixed. And if its only the hard drive that's an issue, is it a huge problem that they only want to replace that one part?

If there is something badly wrong with it, their engineers will find that out when they try (and fail) to fix it - and then you'd have the engineer's recommendation to replace the hard drive. Or, more likely, they'll replace it before sending it back to you if the hard drive truly is knackered.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I had the manager of a Carphone Warehouse store in Leeds city centre, try to tell me that the Sales of Good Act isn't relevant as their own terms and conditions overrule it! He used this as his excuse for failing to read a copy of the relevant sections of said act that I'd brought in to use to educate him. Shops don't train their staff in this legislation as it helps them deceive customers with a straight face. (Regards Carphone Warehouse, we won in the end, and made sure we included the name and comments of the manager involved on our written complaint.)
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure