»

The no buying cleaning products challenge

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

The no buying cleaning products challenge

edited 21 June 2011 at 2:23PM in Old Style MoneySaving
107 replies 19.6K views
candygirlcandygirl Forumite
28.8K posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 21 June 2011 at 2:23PM in Old Style MoneySaving
Ok I am at an advantage here.OH has given me about a lifetime's worth of cleaning stuff, and I already have a lot of my own in which'll prob last till I die:D:D:D
Does anyone else want to see how long they can go before buying any more cleaning stuff?I'm not inc washing powder in this, and also use bicarb white vinegar etc:D:D:D:j:j

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D

Replies

• Love a challenge, but I've also got quite a stockpile so could be cheating a bit here. But I am up for seeing how long I can make it last.
    Glad washing powders not included.:D
  • candygirlcandygirl Forumite
    28.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might just be us two hun, but never mind;):DWondering what to buy with what I save;););)

• jannyanniejannyannie Forumite
    797 posts
    Hi folks

Could probably go a couple of months but I need to buy washing up liquid this month!

Jan x
    28.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jannyannie wrote: »
    Hi folks

Could probably go a couple of months but I need to buy washing up liquid this month!

Jan x

oooh can you not water it down:D;)Glad you're joining in hun:j:j

• quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K posts
    i'm up for this i have a good supply aswell tho so might be cheating aswell lol
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
  • Hi Candygirl - I'm up for the challenge - I have a cupboard full of the bloomin stuff and I'll include washing powder/liquid and softener in with my challenge - I hate buying cleaning stuff and I'm particularly weak when it comes to the antibacterial wipes so that will be my personal challenge - not to buy them but to use up the spray stuff that I have in abundance [bleach is all I really need]

Love a challenge I do

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
    28.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Helen and Quintwins:hello:
    I'm betting it'll be at least Oct before I need to buy anything, except washing powder n w up liquid.Have tried making my own washing powder but it never seems to work for me:o:o
    I do water my w up liquid down though, as it's too harsh on my hands otherwise:D:D

• quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K posts
    i have a dishwasher and i'd say i have 6 months of tablets and around a years worth of laundry liquid (and stain remover) so really no need for me to buy them, i don't use alot of washing liquid really but i do use dettol (or cheapo version if none are off offer) but these last ages and i have 2 bottles, i only have 1 bottle of bleach tho
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
  • Sue14Sue14 Forumite
    980 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    You can definitely count me in on this as I have loads of cleaning stuff which I need to use up, will probably need to buy some washing powder in the next couple of weeks, but I won't buy any until I actually run out of what I have.
    Weight loss challenge 6/12lbs

28.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sue14 wrote: »
    You can definitely count me in on this as I have loads of cleaning stuff which I need to use up, will probably need to buy some washing powder in the next couple of weeks, but I won't buy any until I actually run out of what I have.

Yay welcome Sue:j:j:j:j
    PS just found 2 new bottles of stardrops at the back of the cupboard.Happy days:j:j:j