8 week old Puppy is sick - what to do?

Options

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know! Possibly begins with the letter 'U'?
    Whatever, it doesn't matter. Friend didn't even go to buy a dog just saw her, fell in love with her and took her home. Hence her having to rush off to buy bed, toys, feeding stuff etc.
    Love at first sight.
    All she knew was that she wanted a small dog and wasn't averse going to the local dogs home or dogs trust or anywhere else for a puppy but this little one captured her heart. Must admit it's captured mine too!

It matters because it could be the difference between a convincing puppy farm and a genuine breeder. Puppy farmers know love is blind so they will often get you to 'just' see a litter and tell you they are going like hotcakes. Your friend hasn't researched, the puppy is sick yet you are taking everything on trust. I am surprised you don't understand that the warnings are to prevent lurkers making the same mistake, and letting their heart rule their head when you've already said how awful this experience is for your friend. :(
    Friend has taken out pet insurance now and I can't honestly see a bout of gastro enteritis which kept it hospitalised overnight could have an effect on any other illness/accident the pup may suffer in the future.
    The premium, btw, is £8.42 per month so hardly sky high.
    All's well that ends well and I thank you for your concern but this pup has a loving home thousands of other dogs (the maltreated and unwanted/homeless ones) would envy.

Gastroenteritis will mean that ALL digestive problems are not insurable from now on, that is the way pet insurance works. The next condition does not have to be related to future illness or accident. Having worked in (human) healthcare for twenty years, I can assure you a bout of gastroenteritis can trigger conditions such as IBS, leaky gut syndrome, food intolerances and allergies. :(

Again, fingers are crossed that this puppy makes a speedy recovery.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • jetta_wales
    jetta_wales Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Options
    read the question i originally asked.

The breeder is not unscrupulous!!!!!!!!
    Her own dogs had pups, she has sold them. End of.

Unfortunately as you can see many of the KC and show ring types thing that just breeding a cross in itself is unscrupulous.

Ignore it but do keep us posted about the pup, .I really hope she pulls through.
    "Life is what you make of it, whoever got anywhere without some passion and ambition?
  • sophieschoice
    Options
    Just this second had text update.

"Vet has just phoned, they've examined her again and don't think she has intercepted intestines. She is brighter and her glucose levels are better. Got to phone back at 7 as they are doing another blood test to check her potassium levels"
  • jetta_wales
    Options
    Just this second had text update.

"Vet has just phoned, they've examined her again and don't think she has intercepted intestines. She is brighter and her glucose levels are better. Got to phone back at 7 as they are doing another blood test to check her potassium levels"

Oh I am glad, fingers crossed she will just need some tender love and care to have her on the mend.
    "Life is what you make of it, whoever got anywhere without some passion and ambition?
  • sophieschoice
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    It matters because it could be the difference between a convincing puppy farm and a genuine breeder.

Again, fingers are crossed that this puppy makes a speedy recovery.

She is a genuine breeder whose own two dogs had pups which she sold.
    I don't know how that makes it a puppy farm and, to be honest, right now I don't care.
    All the other puppies are happy and well in their new homes it just this poor little mite who has this horrid bug.

Apart from the obvious emotional roller coaster and the heartbreak of not having your new puppy home with you to bond with and to train, the financial cost is now going to be around the £1,000 mark after paying £250 for her.
    Insurance hasn't kicked in yet so how many people do you reckon in the same situation would have a) given the dog back b) thrown it out on the road c) had it put to sleep d) abandoned it at the local dogs home/rspca or whatever?
  • jetta_wales
    Options
    I don't know how that makes it a puppy farm and, to be honest, right now I don't care.
    All the other puppies are happy and well in their new homes it just this poor little mite who has this horrid bug.

Apart from the obvious emotional roller coaster and the heartbreak of not having your new puppy home with you to bond with and to train, the financial cost is now going to be around the £1,000 mark after paying £250 for her.
    Insurance hasn't kicked in yet so how many people do you reckon in the same situation would have a) given the dog back b) thrown it out on the road c) had it put to sleep d) abandoned it at the local dogs home/rspca or whatever?

Don't stress over them, their dogs never ever get tummy bugs or anything or ever have any problems at all :) It was obviously all because the puppy was a cross and the breeder is a dreadful person who cares nothing for her dogs because she bred a cross lol.

Honestly they are not worth it!
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 June 2011 at 3:43PM
    Options

Where have I said or even hinted your friend has been anything but a loving or responsible owner of her puppy? If you read the thread properly you will see very few, if any, posters criticising your friend for the way she is handling the illness. We are challenging your blind faith, in the face of people with veterinary qualifications and breeding experience expressing concerns over the lack of research and the claims of the breeder.

On a public forum we cannot choose who posts nor can we choose who lurks. I honestly have no idea why you ask for advice then put your hands over your ears when you get answers that are not what you want to hear, and I honestly don't understand why you would not want to spare someone else this heartbreak. If you want legal advice only, pay a solicitor or post on a consumers rights board.

Perhaps you could use the 'thanks' button a little more often than you use the 'post' button?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Contradiction in terms.

Pity - as long as people don't care, those people will do what they do with no consequecnces.

Hope the poor puppy pulls through and is well for the rest of his/her life.

Pls do not not keep on writing "reputable, registered breeder" when next line down you say yourself that you haven't got a clue.

I do nto mean it in a nasty way, I really do not. Just please use this thread as it turned out - kind of educational tool for future reference.

Anyone advertising pups in free ads is NOT a reputable breeder, anyone crossing 2 different breeds(own pets or not - if not meant to breed for should have been neutered to avoid accidential mating) is NOT a reputable breeder.

Your friend got herself into clearly puppy farm scenarion with her pup - obviously by simply not knowing any better. She is doing the best she can for the pup and that is wonderful. HOpe the poor little one is well soon BUT please open your eyes and do not attack people for their comments here, nobody means any harm.....Please do nto jump and come all defensive, just read and keep in mind what people say - for the future.
  • sophieschoice
    Options
    Don't stress over them, their dogs never ever get tummy bugs or anything or ever have any problems at all :) It was obviously all because the puppy was a cross and the breeder is a dreadful person who cares nothing for her dogs because she bred a cross lol.

Honestly they are not worth it!

What jetta said.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What jetta said.

It really is such a shame that you feel the only support you are getting is from someone else who really doesn't have a clue about responsible breeding and is herself a back yard breeder

No one is having a go at you or your friend everyone here is concerned for the well fare of the wee pup. What we are trying to do is educate you and anyone else who might be thinking of getting a pup the dangers and pitfalls of not doing your research before hand

Already we have shown that no matter what this so called breeder has said to you - it's lies. And no harm to you but you really don't have a clue as to how many other pups are at this minute fighting for their lives and you have no idea as to whether this breeder really is going to help with the vet bills this time or not.

No matter where this pup is from we all are praying for a speedy recovery. Just because we advocate responsible breeding doesn't mean we don't have hearts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure