Competition board

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Site Feedback
31 replies 1.7K views
jennyjo_2jennyjo_2 Forumite
1.8K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Site Feedback
I spend a lot of time reading the competition boards and this morning notice that foxy seems to have spent most of night bumping up comps as the last date to enter is coming up.

would it be possible to ask people to post the closing date in the title of the thread, to save her all this work please?

also. a lot of the posts are just a link with no clue as to what site you are going to, and when you do go to the site they ask you to become a member, being a member of every site you join just for the comp can lead to lots of email spam etc. so it would be nice if in the post about the comp people could put, you will need to register to enter, and then people who don't want to could just avoid these comps. quite a few lately have been just for business as well.

not a newbie now: but still be gentle with me ;)

Replies

• rushnowtrushnowt Forumite
    24.7K Posts
    Hi Jennyjo,

as most of the comps are posted by Foxy, you could pm her and ask if she would do this for you, I know she does on quite a few of them however i guess when ya find as many as she does its easy to forget.

Maybe people dont always enter the comps they find themselves either so they wouldnt be aware that you have to register to enter ? I guess registering to different sites is a personal choice if ya dont wanna do it then ya dont have to, I think asking Foxy to do this may mean theres less comps in the long run as it takes time to bring up every page and check whether you need to register or not :(
    Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your permission ;)

Love doesn't make the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile

ya still freezing :p

• I think we should change the name of the board to:

Foxy's competition corner :D
  • thanks for your reply rushnowt :)

I see what you mean about foxy not having time to checkout every comp about wether you need to register,

I've just read martins rules on the comp board and it does say
    6. Include the closing date in the title. Please include the closing date of the competition in the title of the thread you are starting.

and this would save foxy loads of work as she wouldnt need to bump up loads of comps when date is near as it would be in title for us.

• sorry

the other thing I thought of today looking at the comps board is that foxy bumped up 2 pages of comps last night as the finish date is near, but this means that lots of other good comps have disappeared off front pages and might be missed, until foxy does another search and bumps those up for us, so at least if closing dates were in the title the board would run in better date order and people could look back to pages 2 or 3 to find comps where finish date is due.
    we need foxy to find new comps not keep reminding us of old ones, and when does she sleep?? :D

• Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree over just putting a link, I posted the same on the Freebies Board. I don't mind giving my name and address to receive a freebie obviously but I don't want to register to every site I visit.

Same with the competitions board, there is no information given, just a link which sometimes are broken and you have to go to the site to see actually what the competition is or freebie on the freebies board.
    24.7K Posts
    jennyjo wrote:
    sorry

the other thing I thought of today looking at the comps board is that foxy bumped up 2 pages of comps last night as the finish date is near, but this means that lots of other good comps have disappeared off front pages and might be missed, until foxy does another search and bumps those up for us, so at least if closing dates were in the title the board would run in better date order and people could look back to pages 2 or 3 to find comps where finish date is due.
    we need foxy to find new comps not keep reminding us of old ones, and when does she sleep?? :D

Your quite right, this is a problem, I had to go to page 5 on Saturday just to find comps i'd missed because of this, it is a pain when there pushed off the page, at least i had some spare time to do this, but with todays rush about society everyones so busy with day to day stuff, work, families etc it can be really difficult to get the time to do this.

The rules do state that the comps finish date should be posted so I think Foxy needs her legs slapping LOL,

As for sleeping, she's nocturnal i think, ive never known anyone manage on as little sleep as her, I think she's from another planet LOL

24.7K Posts
    I think we should change the name of the board to:

Foxy's competition corner :D

LOL, dont encourage her :eek:

• So what you are saying is its quantity and to heck with quality? Just post up as many as possible and no worries if the links are correct or if in fact they go through to another competition site.

Surely accuracy on MSE is important, if the wrong information is given elsewhere on the boards there would be an outcry but on the Comps board just post a link and let the reader work it out.

Not only the closing date would be helpful but in fact what the prize is. It seems to be a race to up the post count of the users of the Comps Board.
    Charles J
  • FoxyFoxy Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    sorry it just teething problems due to my own fault lol as i found flaws in my own system that when i posted pages to comps that run all the time with not putting exactly what the prizes were at time of posting i couldnt tell when some had been new ones had been added to be honest and if i was having problems i could see everyone else having the same problem as me, which was why there was a lot of posting last night. with all the posting recently i only bumped the older ones this time as they had hardly stayed on the front page sorry i think it just a teething thing at the moment to be honest. i am just trying to set it up at the moment so that when the competitions on these ones change i can split the threads of the part that has ended to keep the thread fresh but realized that would be also difficult to do with the prizes at mo not being on the page.sorry guys my brain kicks in eventually

and as for the sleep bit my sleep pattern is none existant thats why i slept most of the time the kids are at school lol:)
    It is not what you give your friend, but what you are willing to give him that determines the quality of friendship. -- Mary Dixon Thayer
    24.7K Posts
    limited wrote:
    So what you are saying is its quantity and to heck with quality? Just post up as many as possible and no worries if the links are correct or if in fact they go through to another competition site.

I think the overall quality of the comps is very good, there are many prizes that I could not afford to buy and to win one would be my only option
    limited wrote:
    Surely accuracy on MSE is important, if the wrong information is given elsewhere on the boards there would be an outcry but on the Comps board just post a link and let the reader work it out.

I think saying "there would be outcry", is taking things a little far, someone might mention that the info was not correct but I doubt the poster would be flogged for it.
    limited wrote:
    Not only the closing date would be helpful but in fact what the prize is. It seems to be a race to up the post count of the users of the Comps Board.

To be honest if this was the punishment i was reciveing for finding these comps and posting them, im afraid you'd be finding your own now, I think your being really harsh and this is really unexeptable, :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals