20 questions!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• MsShopper
    Options
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    Blimey, makes me wonder what you could do if forced up to DEFCON 1 :)

Ha ha, that shows my general 'Defcon' ignorance. I thought 3 was the highest! :D
  • MrsDrink
    MrsDrink Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Options
    Thought it might be quite nice to review my answers that I wrote nearly a year ago!
    MrsDrink wrote: »
    1. Wedding date? Tuesday 17th July 2012

2. Wedding theme or colour scheme? Burgundy with white/ivory, with silver accent.

3. Thing you have splashed out most on? Still very early days for us. The biggest single purchase has been my fake flowers, spent £56.09. But I over-bought on purpose, I got both ivory and white flowers. Will only use one of them when I've chosen a dress. The others that I don't use I'll sell. The biggest total purchase has been on stationery. I've spent £92.12 on our invites/thank you cards/stamps/writable CDs (for our guests to share any photos they take with us).
    Ooo tough one - the one item that has cost the most has been MrD's ring. Cost us £147.37. BUT we were quoted £220 for the same ring from a reasonable family run local jewellers

4. Best bargain? Instead of spending £90-100 on a 6x3 white/cream marquee, in the run up to the Royal Wedding Tescos was selling 3x3 gazebos for £17 each. £34 in total for 6x3!
    Well the thing we've saved the most on so far has been our decorations. I've spend £219.21 on the following:56 £D Paper hearts to hang around the garden; fork/spoon with Mr/Mrs engraved into them - will be displayed in front of the wedding cheesecake; 12 jam jars with tealights, covered in tissue paper and then the letters of our names cut out; Mr & Mrs wooden letters; bows to go on the legs of the gazebos; white banquet roll with burgundy runner to cover the kitchen worktops that will hold the buffet; white napkins with burgundy ribbon holders; ivory and burgundy balloons to create 21 cloud 9 clusters; 12 garden candles with bows tided to; table confetti to sprinkle around the buffet; Gerberas to tie to the side/back of the chairs we're hiring with ribbon curled around the stem; fairy Lights on legs of gazebo; and table cloths with runners for the tables we're hiring. If we'd paid someone else to make/provide all of the above it could have cost us £998.85 :eek:

5. Stupidest thing you decided that you had to have (before getting engaged) and now dont care about? Mmm I can't think of anything that I originally had my heart set on but have since seen the light. I do have one the other way round though. I was convinced I wouldn't get any flowers - didn't see the point, what a waste of money to get something I'd only be holding for 30 mins or so. But after speaking to the In-Laws-To-Be I (thankfully) changed my mind. Now I'm having a fake flower bouquet that after the ceremony I will then take to place on my grandma's grave.
    This hasn't changed - there still isn't any 'must haves' that have been dropped.

6. Venue? Well strictly speaking we're having two. The ceremony on the 17th July 2012 will be at our local registry office. The after show party (aka reception) will be on the Saturday 21st, at our house.
    We have agreed that after the ceremony people can come round ours for a quick BBQ - but as we've got work the next day I'm hoping it isn't a late one and that our family will respect that we want to do the big celebration at the weekend.

7. Engagement ring? I don't have one :) I have a 30th birthday ring that means so much to me I didn't (and still don't) see the point in getting another. My 30th Birthday ring (which MrD comissioned for me) is made using the sapphire from my 21st birthday ring (which MrD gave me), and two of the three diamonds from my grandma's engagement ring.

8. Describe your partner in 5 words. Ooo tough one. Erm... 1) Strong - kinda speaks for itself. He has lovely strong arms that I adore being wrapped around me. 2) Funny - He makes me laugh every day. Corny or what! 3) Sexy - :o 4) Safe - When I'm around him he makes me feel so safe I feel like I can tackle the world. 5) Real. - He tells me when I'm out of order/wrong and keeps me in my place. (In a "you're being unreasonable shurrup" kinda way rather than an "ott controlling" kinda way

9.First Dance song? :T:T Not having one!

10. Biggest panic moment so far? Writing a cheque for £20 for a deposit on 20 white plastic chairs for our garden party. The panic was along the 'omg it's real' lines mixed with 'what if they aren't the right ones'.
    That I'm never going to find the perfect shoes - been having shoe wobbles for ages - wish my dress was ready so I could try it on with the shoes I've got!

11.Biggest Bride/Groomzilla moment? Trying to negotiate what we'll do after our ceremony - I don't want anything formal,and I want to stay in control so neither family feel hard done by/out done.
    Freaking out that MrD's mum wanted to wear a burgundy buttonhole - no that is the colour of MrD's - the rest (if they want one) will be white!! :rotfl:

12. Worst fear about the wedding day As daft as it sounds, my biggest fear at the moment is knowing what I do when I get to the registry office. Will there be someone to meet me? Will MrD and our select few immediate family already be in the ceremony room? Or will they catch a glimpse of me. Will they know when to start the song? Lol I am hoping before the day I will actually know the answers to these - I'm a bit of a worry wort when it comes to the unknown and I've never been to a registry office ceremony so I don't know what to expect.
    The above is less worrying - my mum is going to come and stay the night before with me so she'll be able to help calm any nerves. I think now my biggest fear is the weather - everything we have planned requires being able to party in the garden. If it rains - well god knows what we'll do!!

13. Number of guests? Inviting 17 to the ceremony. And a total of 50 to the After Show Party.
    Final invited numbers: 17 to the ceremony, total of 51 to the reception - I suspect of those invited to the ceremony only 10 will be able to attend. Invites have been sent so now just waiting

14. The one person who has helped you more than anyone during the planning Mmm I think my chief-brides-maid-if-I-was-having-one. Not because she's actually done anything, but just because she's listened to me through the whole saga. From when I decided I wanted to get married, through the stage where MrD didn't see the point, then when we finally agreed, and now when I'm gushing/ranting about wedding planning.
    As cheesy as it sounds I would say it's probably the rest of the July 2012 brides!! God knows who I'd have bored with my continuous droning about the wedding!! :D

15. Flavour of cake Vanillia 'new york' cheese cake with strawberries etc sliced on top.
    :) Homemade strawberry cheesecake :T

16. Rate your own :money: MSEness out of 10 7. I am spending where I want to - eg my shoes were just shy of £50, so there are areas I could have saved even more money. But then the things we've spend on are things we value. (And I love shoes).
    I think 7 is about right. There are definite things we've scrimped on, and really we haven't splashed out on anything - everything has been researched and most things have been bought cheaply/with the use of discount codes etc.

17. How long will you have been together on your wedding day? Unlucky for some... 13 years to the day. :) Hence why we chose that date.

18. Favourite TV or Movie wedding? Erm... Well we've just had hollyoaks on and to be honest the way Reece and Jaqui did it seems great to me!
    Don't really have a favourite 'TV or film' wedding - which I guess is why the way we're doing it isn't conventional

19. Piece of advice you would give anyone who is planning their wedding Start off by writing a list of all the things you definitely don't want.
    I stand by that today!

20. Finish this sentence: Marriage is not a word it is a life sentence? Lol. Erm... seriously? Marriage is not a word it is a declaration of love.

(Great post Double Mummy)

• lisajane8482
    lisajane8482 Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    edited 16 February 2012 at 4:50PM
    Options
    1. Wedding date? 6th July 2013

2. Wedding theme or colour scheme? Burgundy and Roses

3. Thing you have splashed out most on? Reception

4. Best bargain? 2 Debut dresses £70 each but I paid £28 new with tags

5. Stupidest thing you decided that you had to have (before getting engaged) and now dont care about? None that I can think of

6. Venue? Preston Hall Museum

7. Engagement ring? Pandora Silver Melanite Ring

8. Describe your partner in 5 words. Funny, sweet, handsome, slightly annoying

9. First Dance song? hopefully Avenged Sevenfold "warmness on the soul" or Greenday "when it's time"

10. Biggest panic moment so far? Nothing yet but there's still plenty of time

11.Biggest Bride/Groomzilla moment? OH wanting to pay for his Mum's outfit but saying we don't have enough to pay for my Mum's

12. Worst fear about the wedding day. being left at the alter

13. Number of guests? 70-80 for the ceremony, 150-180 for the evening

14. The one person who has helped you more than anyone during the planning. My mum and nana, constantly giving me any advice I need

15. Flavour of cake. Fruit (homemade) and sponge (shop bought)

16. Rate your own :money: MSEness out of 10. 8

17. How long will you have been together on your wedding day? 5 years, 1 month and 26 days

18. Favourite TV or Movie wedding? I can't think of one at the moment but if I do I will update

19. Piece of advice you would give anyone who is planning their wedding. Don't stress too much

20. Finish this sentence
    Marriage is not a word it is........... a great excuse for a party. Seriously, Marriage is not a word it is a chance to show commitment to the one person you will love forever.
  • Fatpants
    Options
    Loved reading everyones replies to this!!

1. Wedding date? 23rd June 2012

2. Wedding theme or colour scheme? Champagne & Ivory

3. Thing you have splashed out most on? Photographer

4. Best bargain? My Pronovias dress - ex sample for £1500 less than orginal price!

5. Stupidest thing you decided that you had to have (before getting engaged) and now dont care about? Nothing??

6. Venue? Georgian Manor house

7. Engagement ring? Platinum, 1 carat

8. Describe your partner in 5 words Generous, caring, funny, gentlemanly, affectionate

9.First Dance song? Back At One - Brian McKnight

10. Biggest panic moment so far? honeymoon - agent booked wrong resort!!

11.Biggest Bride/Groomzilla moment? Bridesmaid being pregnant and me having a huge groan about it to anyone that will listen!

12. Worst fear about the wedding day No one turning up!

13. Number of guests? 70 for wedding, extra 100 for evening

14. The one person who has helped you more than anyone during the planning My fiance

15. Flavour of cake Victoria sponge!

16. Rate your own :money: MSEness out of 10 a 7

17. How long will you have been together on your wedding day? 13 years, 9months

18. Favourite TV or Movie wedding? Bride Wars

19. Piece of advice you would give anyone who is planning their wedding book venue first, and then plan around this

20. Finish this sentence
    Marriage is not a word it is...........a lifetime commitment to be taken seriously and worked at constantly x
  • Crowdpleaser
    Options
    1. Wedding date? 17/08/2012

2. Wedding theme or colour scheme? Still dont know, DP keeps veto-ing colours!

3. Thing you have splashed out most on? Will be my dress I think

4. Best bargain? Venue, freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

5. Stupidest thing you decided that you had to have (before getting engaged) and now dont care about? Big venuw with sit down meal and lots and lots of people

6. Venue? Registry Office followed by party in theatre function room

7. Engagement ring? Don't really have one, dp bought me a stunning solitaire after our first daughter came home so I wear that as an engagement ring

8. Describe your partner in 5 words A bit of a pain (lol)

9.First Dance song? Not sorted yet, might not bother!

10. Biggest panic moment so far? Catering woes on a budget for 100 odd .

11.Biggest Bride/Groomzilla moment? None really.

12. Worst fear about the wedding day That DP changes his mind!

13. Number of guests? 30 to the ceremony, 100 + for the evening do.

14. The one person who has helped you more than anyone during the planning All of our wonderful friends who are all coming together to help us with the whole day!

15. Flavour of cake Sponge

16. Rate your own :money: MSEness out of 10 8. Everything being done on budget and we hope to come in under 1200 ish... It was 1000 but I have seen a dress today....

17. How long will you have been together on your wedding day? Nearly 8 years

18. Favourite TV or Movie wedding? Love Actually

19. Piece of advice you would give anyone who is planning their wedding Enjoy! Everyone just wants to see you and have fun so dont get too hung up on little details!

20. Finish this sentence
    Marriage is not a word it is........... the next step in a long road for us LOL!
  • double_mummy
    Options
    I also thought i would redo mine as a lot has changed

1. Wedding date? 20th October 2011
    2012 lol

2. Wedding theme or colour scheme? Blue (midnight or royal not quite decided yet)
    Royal Blue and Silver

3. Thing you have splashed out most on? Venue

4. Best bargain? Bridesmaids dresses 3 for £120
    ummm not the BMs dresses asa many of you know i have changed my mind on this many times!!!!
    my best bargain now is my beautiful flowers 80% less than other places i was quoted from

5. Stupidest thing you decided that you had to have (before getting engaged) and now dont care about? Horse and Carriage

6. Venue? The Mercure Hotel http://www.mercure.com/gb/hotel-6627-mercure-milton-keynes-parkside-hotel/index.shtml
    We have now changed this for a better deal and better setting at bletchley park mansion house ( google it its beautiful!)

7. Engagement ring? Not yet lol (still weight losing after baby so not getting one till i am regular sized again) but looking at a 0.5 ct Princess Cut diamond in platinum
    Still waiting !!!!!!!

8. Describe your partner in 5 words Silly, Handsome, Weird, Hummus, Daddy

9.First Dance song? Lonestar - Amazed
    Changed this as everyone seems to be having it at the moment we are now thinking something funny like tradgedy by steps in my wedding dress or sexy and i know it by LMFAO

10. Biggest panic moment so far? Finding out my sister was looking at getting married on the same weekend as me I quickly told her off and she has moved her date (i had it first lol)
    That all the family wont be able to come .... it wont be the same without them

11.Biggest Bride/Groomzilla moment? Telling my OH to marry his best man as they spend all their time together
    I am still saying this but now he has 2 best men and they are both in the army in different countries (australia and israel) but yet they still spend all their time together

12. Worst fear about the wedding day. Looking horrible in a wedding dress

13. Number of guests? Around 100
    45 day and 100 ish evening

14. The one person who has helped you more than anyone during the planning - My little sister
    and her wonderful girlfriend

15. Flavour of cake - All different, chocolate, carrot and sponge me thinks
    chocolate for the bottom, vanilla for the middle and carrot for the top

16. Rate your own MSEness out of 10 - 7.5 :j
    6 i am slipping :(

17. How long will you have been together on your wedding day? will be 10 years to the day that we met and will have been together for 6.5 years

18. Favourite TV or Movie wedding? Emily and Ross from friends

19. Piece of advice you would give anyone who is planning their wedding - make sure that you budget well and stick to it

20. Finish this sentence
    Marriage is not a word it is...........
    a meeting of two people who can accept each others faults and still love them for the rest of their lives

thanks for everyone saying thanks for this thread it was just an idea on a boring afternoon, love reading everyones responses though KEEP THEM COMING!!!!

:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T
    The only people I have to answer to are my beautiful babies aged 8 and 5
  • gilly1964
    gilly1964 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    thanks for everyone saying thanks for this thread it was just an idea on a boring afternoon, love reading everyones responses though KEEP THEM COMING!!!!

:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T

I too am in MK - you lucky girl The Mansion at BP

1. Wedding date?
    18 May 2013

2. Wedding theme or colour scheme?
    Undecided but possibly Burgundy with Bridesmaids in Fuschia

3. Thing you have splashed out most on?
    Venue

4. Best bargain?
    None yet
    5. Stupidest thing you decided that you had to have (before getting engaged) and now dont care about?
    Horse and Carriage

6. Venue?
    Holiday Inn, Newport Pagnell

7. Engagement ring?
    18 carat white gold with 12 diamonds

8. Describe your partner in 5 words
    Caring, loving, generous, blue-eyed and hairy

9.First Dance song?
    Possibly Shania Twain - Still The One

10. Biggest panic moment so far?
    None

11.Biggest Bride/Groomzilla moment?
    Telling bridesmaid to f*** off when she said about a stripper for the hen night

12. Worst fear about the wedding day.
    Looking horrible

13. Number of guests?
    65 day and 100 ish evening

14. The one person who has helped you more than anyone during the planning -
    Fiance

15. Flavour of cake
    All different

16. Rate your own MSEness out of 10
    8 :j

17. How long will you have been together on your wedding day? About 17 years

18. Favourite TV or Movie wedding?
    Scott and Charlene in Neighbours

19. Piece of advice you would give anyone who is planning their wedding
    If your gut instinct about a supplier is that they are no good - follow it

20. Finish this sentence
    Marriage is not a word it is........... being there for each other, no matter what
  • angelil
    angelil Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What fun :D

1. Wedding date? We were married April 29, 2011

2. Wedding theme or colour scheme? purple and white

3. Thing you have splashed out most on? My dress or accommodation - the former was £1000 and the latter may have been even more

4. Best bargain? the cake - it was a wedding gift from my cousin, who is a chef

5. Stupidest thing you decided that you had to have (before getting engaged) and now dont care about? I don't think I decided to have anything silly - although it seemed daft to me that my mum wanted favours AND those 'a donation has been made in your name to Cancer Research' cards and pins that you are supposed to have INSTEAD OF favours :p

6. Venue? Town hall in St-Germain-en-Laye, France, then at the Pavillon Henri IV hotel over the road :)

7. Engagement ring? from edenly.com

8. Describe your partner in 5 words: humorous, caring, serious, intellectual, handsome

9.First Dance song? not applicable - we didn't have one

10. Biggest panic moment so far? thinking I wasn't going to fit into my dress because I'd put on too much weight

11.Biggest Bride/Groomzilla moment? going off on one regarding guests who had chosen not to attend for, imo, silly reasons

12. Worst fear about the wedding day that I would trip over on the walk up the aisle

13. Number of guests? we had 9 guests at our actual wedding and reception. At our UK celebration in the summer we had about 50

14. The one person who has helped you more than anyone during the planning My mother

15. Flavour of cake Traditional fruit

16. Rate your own :money: MSEness out of 10 Haha only about 1!!

17. How long will you have been together on your wedding day? On our wedding day we had been together for 6 years, 4 months and 3 days :)

18. Favourite TV or Movie wedding? I don't really have one of those, but I LOVE watching all those creative first dances/walking or dancing down the aisle on Youtube :)

19. Piece of advice you would give anyone who is planning their wedding Have whoever YOU want there and sod everyone else :p

20. Finish this sentence
    Marriage is not a word: it is...........for life
  • wanchai_2
    wanchai_2 Posts: 2,955 Forumite
    Options
    Ooooh, looks like fun! :D

1. Wedding date? 14 July 2012

2. Wedding theme or colour scheme? Vintage, quirky, retro, whimsical

3. Thing you have splashed out most on? The photographer and the dress!

4. Best bargain? My BM's shoes were £15 (Kurt Geiger - RRP £100!) and I won her jewellery in a comp!

5. Stupidest thing you decided that you had to have (before getting engaged) and now dont care about? Nothing really - had no preconceptions before getting engaged

6. Venue? Don't want to say on here but it's lovely and really suits us :)

7. Engagement ring? Classic round brilliant cut diamond solitaire

8. Describe your partner in 5 words? Funny, kind, smart, foodie, bookish

9.First Dance song? It's a secret!

10. Biggest panic moment so far? Lots of them! Having to wait A WHOLE WEEK to confirm availability of the church was the worst!

11.Biggest Bride/Groomzilla moment? Um... :rotfl:

12. Worst fear about the wedding day? That it'll be a huge disaster/that OH's BIL will spoil it by getting drunk and being rude to people

13. Number of guests? About 90-100

14. The one person who has helped you more than anyone during the planning? Nobody really :(

15. Flavour of cake? Probably fruit

16. Rate your own :money: MSEness out of 10?
    Normally 10/10 :A Wedding-related 5/10 :D

17. How long will you have been together on your wedding day? Over 6 years

18. Favourite TV or Movie wedding? - All of them :o

19. Piece of advice you would give anyone who is planning their wedding? Take at least a year and read ALL the blogs for inspiration! It's fun! Also, choose your BM(s) carefully... :cool:

20. Finish this sentence
    Marriage is not a word it is........... who knows? I'll find out?
    7 Feb 2012: 10st7lbs :( 14 Feb: 10st4.5lbs :D 21 Feb: 10st4lbs * 1 March: 10st2.5lbs :j13 March: 10st3lbs (post-holiday) :o 30 March: 10st1.5lbs :D 4 April: 10st0.75lbs * 6 April: 9st13.5 lbs :) 27 April 9st12.5lbs * 16 May 9st12lbs * 11 June 9st11lbs * 15 June 9st9.5lbs * 20 June 9st8.5lbs :D 27 June 9st8lbs * 1 July 9st7lbs * 7 July 9st6.5lbs :D
  • lazer
    lazer Posts: 3,402 Forumite
    Options
    1. Wedding date? 6/10/2012

2. Wedding theme or colour scheme? No Theme, Traditional Wedding - Colour - Dark Purple/Grape

3. Thing you have splashed out most on? - Venue - makes up most of the budget!!!

4. Best bargain? - Wedding veil & shoes - free! Ordered from dress shop and negotiated discount!

5. Stupidest thing you decided that you had to have (before getting engaged) and now dont care about? Horse & Carriage (Although will still look at the price to see if it is possible!)

6. Venue? - Carrickdale, Co.Louth, Ireland

7. Engagement ring? Platinum - 3 diamonds

8. Describe your partner in 5 words - Best Friend and my life!

9.First Dance song? - Its a secret!

10. Biggest panic moment so far? - That my dress won't fit - ordered it a size smaller..

11.Biggest Bride/Groomzilla moment? - So far, I've had a hissy fit over the venue as we had picked one hotel that i wasn't that keen on, no grounds or fancy lobby or anything (but the church wasn't available on that day!!_ when I couldn't find anything i really liked - but i love the one we found!

12. Worst fear about the wedding day - Being the centre of attention - saying vows and first dance!

13. Number of guests? 150ish day 200 evening

14. The one person who has helped you more than anyone during the planning - so far my mum

15. Flavour of cake - Fruit (Hopefully homemade!)

16. Rate your own :money: MSEness out of 10 - 8, we're having an expensive wedding but not paying over the odds for any of it - savings of list prices so far - almost £900!

17. How long will you have been together on your wedding day? On/off over 10 years. Almost 6 years properly together

18. Favourite TV or Movie wedding? - Pheobe in Friends!

19. Piece of advice you would give anyone who is planning their wedding
    - Don't stress, all that matters is that you will be husband an wife at the end of the day oh and remember to talk about other things too, friends lives don't revolve around your wedding!

20. Finish this sentence
    Marriage is not a word it is...........a wonderful relationship with someone who knows you inside out, full of love, companionship and support!

PS - I think i am going to have to get a new user name for the wedding discussions, as OH doesn;t want to know even teh slightest detail of the dress, and too many other people know my username on here!
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure