Tru Diamonds

Options
13»

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just a word of warning, as I've had similar issues in the past and similar arguments with various companies when my father was getting a bit older and forgetful, but you might need to find some way of making it impossible for your mother to order things using a card over the phone or internet.

I found that luckily companies were very helpful under the circumstances but it is natural to jump to the conclusion it is a scam.

Have they said they will help sort out a refund and return for you?

Definitely agree you should make sure it goes recorded delivery just to cover yourself. They may be able to reimburse you for your postage

I am concerned how they have got her bank details. I just don't think that she would know where her bank card is and I know she would have trouble reading off the number. Adding her memory and hearing problems to that mix makes it very unlikely that she ordered it herself.

I'm trying to get hold of the carers in case one of them ordered it for her. I shall be having words with them if one of them did it on her behalf - very unprofessional!

It doesn't seem to be a scam. The company seems to sell their stuff through adverts in magazines. I'm just concerned that I cannot send the unwanted ear-rings back to a real address so won't have any guarantee that they won't take the second lot of money from Mum's account.

Asking for a real address isn't a lot to ask but neither the company nor their PR company have been able to give me one.

Comsumer Advice said that it was the law that a real address had to be given on their website and literature.
  • Bargainblitzer
    Options
    I must admit I've never had trouble getting hold of an address to send anything back but I have had the case with a couple of mail order companies that places have a few different offices that handle different things so I've had to have the company check detials like house number, postcode and surname so they can give me the right address to return to which was really annoying and I got handed around a few diff ppl but it it did work out right in the end. I can't believe they're not even offering to find the right address for u, thats poor. Surely they can just find your mums details on whatever system they have and tell you where to send it and how a refund works
  • Bargainblitzer
    Options
    ps do they record there calls? could be a good way of finding out who did actually order the jewellery?
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    How did they get your mums bank details Mojisola? any idea?
    There is also a discrepancy here - the offer is supposedly for a Free item just pay P+P. There fore you must be able to stop the next payment if you are returning the item. I would ring RCT trading standards hun if they can back you up you will have more power to your elbow when dealing with the bank.

I would also post down in Praise Vent and Warnings - you may well get some really good advice down there - I am sure I have seen something similar before (wasnt jewellery I dont think)!
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mojisola
    Options
    Couple of updates - apparently the PO will accept recorded delivery items to a PO Box so I'll have to ask Consumer Advice to update their staff on that fact.

Tru Diamonds have finally given me the address of a physical building so, just to be sure, I'll use that address when I send the goods back on Monday.

Their Marketing Manager has told me that Mum phoned in response to an advert in the Daily Telegraph. She then handed the phone to my Dad who gave the bank details. He is most insistent that he didn't and they don't buy the DT so I'm still not sure what happened. There's an outside chance that Dad may have forgotten doing it but, as it would have been an unusual thing for them to do, I'm not sure.

Anyway, as long as I can return the goods and make sure that no more money is taken from their account, I shall be pleased that it's settled.
  • Mojisola
    Options
    Well, the jewelry has arrived at Tru Diamonds and they are sorting out the money. Looks like it's all going to be settled.

I'm still concerned that my parents have no recollection of phoning the company and ordering the jewelry. It could be the start of a whole lot of new problems for me as their carer if they're going to do more things like this.
  • Mojisola
    Options
    Well, I was going to post last week that everything had been settled - the jewelry has been returned and I've had an email saying that it has been received. I've been sent a recording of the transaction and it is definitely my Mum and Dad, although neither of them can remember making the phone call.

After being away for a few days, I've come back to find a letter from TruDiamonds saying that £19.99 will be taken from their account in a couple of days' time unless they return the goods before then!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure