PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Red wine stain help!

Options

Comments

• powershopper
    Options
    Yesterday I spilled a FULL glass of red wine on our new cream berber wool carpet. ......I know, but we said all that at the time..... at the time the swift application of a handfull of paper napkins, at least a kilo of salt, and threats of a lingering and painfull death to my OH if he rubs the stain, seem to have minimised the damage. We are left with a damp, pale lilac mark---nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Until further action ( I need breakfast now) I have sprayed the stain with cold water, to stop it drying out, but I really could do with some advice as to how to shampoo the mark away. Do I nip out to Mr T's and get some preparation for this, or is there a magic OS method I havent come accross yet?
    please help!!!:confused::confused::confused:
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi powershopper,

It sounds like you have done everything right so far. This older thread may give you some ideas:

Red wine stain help!

Pink
  • powershopper
    powershopper Posts: 329 Forumite
    Options
    just a heads-up on the earlier crisis, I got some 1001 Troubleshooter Ultra in a squirty bottle, and it WORKED:j :j :j not exactly OS I know, but I remember my Mum cleaning carpets with 1001, so it's been around for so long, maybe it qualifies as Old Style !
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi powershopper,

Thanks for coming back and telling us how you got on. :T I'll add this to the thread I linked to earlier as your post may help others in the same position.

Pink
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    I've had red wine spilt on my pashmina this week end and I've only just noticed. :(

Any advice on the best way to remove the stain? :confused:
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Snow_White_5
    Snow_White_5 Posts: 493 Forumite
    Options
    Rub salt on it? If it's not a fresh stain I'm not sure. But could you dye it if you can't get the stain out?
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Vanish, ,the soap bar type, and used pre-wash, gets red wine out of my linen table cloth. You would have to hand wash the pashmina very carefully on a sunny, windy day, though.

If it was an expensive one, it might be worth asking at a dry cleaner's shop.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • pixie1
    pixie1 Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hubs split red wine on his fave jeans and dispite washing them twice on a hot wash the mark still hasnt come out.

Can anyone recommend a product or nifty way to get this out, its really obvious and we cant afford to buy new jeans right now :o

Thanks

Pix
    :jDebt Free At Last!:j
  • missychrissy
    Options
    Lakeland do a product specifically for red wine stains. I find it is very good.
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think you might have set the stain by washing them on a hot wash.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure