Cheapest place to buy malarone?

Options

Comments

• Bilko
    Bilko Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I know this sounds odd but my sister got her Malarone at the weekend for £1.20 something.

We'd done research online, but she decided to pop into her local Superdrug branch because her nurse recommended told her they're the cheapest. (Not sure exactly which branch, but around Fulham...). She was very shocked when they told her the price... (The price on their website still says £2.20 odd...)

Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought I should let y'all know...!
  • buffalox
    Options
    Just to update this - cheapest price I could find (free shipping) was £2.23 per tablet (http://www.totalpharmacy.co.uk). If you want to pick up, then ASDA seemed to be next cheapest at £2.50 per tablet.

Hope that helps someone! :)
  • I have read through all of these posts and you have to go through the hassle of getting a prescription from your doctor. I found The Online Clinic to be the best as they do a quick online consultation and then issue the prescription so that your medication arrives the next morning. Given that I needed to get off on holiday, the last thing that I needed was a 2 week wait to see my GP. I give these guys a big thumbs up as they are quick and they deliver.
  • Spursman180
    Options
    I wouldn't buy any meds online, is there any regulation on these places, wouldn't fancy relying on coloured smarties to protect against malaria?
  • smcg2212
    smcg2212 Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 5 January 2012 at 12:19PM
    Options
    Just bought Malarone from TravelPharm.com at £2.25 per tablet, free post etc, no other costs added on. I already have a private prescription that I need to post, along with a printout of an email from TravelPharm to a Derbyshire address, so will have to pay for a stamp! They also have an 0115 phone number to ring if you want to talk to them.

Was buying through TotalPharmacy.co.uk at £2.23 per tab but on the page AFTER you put in your credit card details they add a £2.50 charge (think it was a consultation charge). On that page I had to then confirm payment. I went back to my 'basket', removed the malarone, signed off and bought elsewhere! The problem is that I suspect that most people will not want to abort buying from them AFTER putting their credit card details in.

I asked at our local Asda, they quoted me £2.50 per tablet.
  • smcg2212
    smcg2212 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    buffalox wrote: »
    Just to update this - cheapest price I could find (free shipping) was £2.23 per tablet (http://www.totalpharmacy.co.uk). If you want to pick up, then ASDA seemed to be next cheapest at £2.50 per tablet.

Hope that helps someone! :)

The problem with totalpharmacy.co.uk is that they add a charge of £2.50 after you've put your credit card details in!
  • Dave_Walley
    Options
    I have just paid £45.70 for 16 tablets at L Rowland & Co (almost £4 per tablet). Perhaps other people could save some time by not even bothering with them.
  • nicc1976
    Options
    All these prices (low ones) are only if you have an NHS prescription. I couldnt get one from the doc as he said the NHS does not view it as an essential medicine for the UK. After mooching around i realised that all these sites post the prices for NHS.....then if you need a private prescription the price goes up somewhat (or there are other charges for a consultation). I used these guys, nationwidepharmacies.co.uk. Not quite the cheapest, although close enough as there were no extra charges for delivery, consultations etc etc, but the service was good and their pharmacist helped out with which tablets i needed for Kenya. I thought they were all the same!!!!!
  • deelo555
    deelo555 Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 14 April 2014 at 9:51PM
    Options
    There are two main ways to get Malarone in the UK.
    Visit your GP/travel clinic and obtain a private prescription. Using your private prescription you can purchase Malarone in most high street pharmacies.
    Usually you will have to pay for the prescription and you will pay a high price for the tablets.

Alternatively most online pharmacies have a consultation procedure which will allow you to obtain malarone online. This is generally cheaper.
    You can compare prices of several online pharmacies here:
    http://www.comparepharmacy.co.uk/

The cheapest site currently is www.medexpress.co.uk

Also you can purchase generic non branded malarone which is medically the same but works out slightly cheaper.
  • kuepper
    kuepper Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 September 2013 at 10:09AM
    Options
    deelo555 wrote: »
    There are two main ways to get Malarone in the UK.
    Visit your GP/travel clinic and obtain a private prescription. Using your private prescription you can purchase Malarone in most high street pharmacies.
    Usually you will have to pay for the prescription and you will pay a high price for the tablets.

Alternatively most online pharmacies have a consultation procedure which will allow you to obtain malarone online. This is generally cheaper.
    You can compare prices of several online pharmacies here:
    http://www.comparepharmacy.co.uk/

The cheapest site currently is www.expresspharmacy.co.uk

Also you can purchase generic non branded malarone which is medically the same but works out slightly cheaper.

that comparison site is misleading as it doesn't have online prices for Lloyds pharmacy. Malarone are £2.24 each there so 16 are £35.84, and free postage over £35, so nearly £15 cheaper than express pharmacy. If you don't need that many I find Tesco cheapest
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure