Cheapest place to buy malarone?

Options

Comments

• than4
    than4 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    Linds1980 wrote: »
    I just placed an order at Boots online for 24 x 250mg + 100mg Malarone tabs and it was indeed £7.20. Now just have to post my prescription to the freepost address and Robert is my mother's brother! Fabulous

Are you saying that it is an NHS or private perscription?

I needed 50 tablets and ordered from Lloyds pharmacy online as I got 6.5% cashback via topcashback and they were the cheapest I could find at £2.24 each. I did also try to use a 10% discount code I found on this site, but that didn't work :(
  • joaniemerc
    Options
    Did your surgery willingly give you an NHS prescription pls?

Just rang my surgery and was told I can only have a private prescription - for which Boots charge £73.22 (and no doubt I'm gonna have to pay the GP for the private prescription!) - as opposed to the £7.20 for an NHS one.:confused:
  • Tuneful_2
    Options
    I've just bought 16 Malarone tablets for £35.04 from shelf pharmacy online. They also give you a Freepost address to which to send your prescription. Boots online were quoting me £36.61. Hope this is helpful as this pharmacy hasn't been mentioned in my searches- I happened to find it whilst looking up about private prescription charges.
  • Linds1980
    Options
    than4 wrote: »
    Are you saying that it is an NHS or private perscription?

I needed 50 tablets and ordered from Lloyds pharmacy online as I got 6.5% cashback via topcashback and they were the cheapest I could find at £2.24 each. I did also try to use a 10% discount code I found on this site, but that didn't work :(

Doh... Boots called and told me there was a place to select NHS or private prescription... missed it somehow! I have my prescription back and am going to order at shelfpharmacy... £2.19 seems to the be the cheapest price per tablet.
  • trrk
    trrk Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    Just to add to what the last few posters have said, there is NO generic version of malarone (part of the reason it is expesive). It is also not widely available in countries where there is malaria so you should not rely on buying it abroad.

Another one to watch out for is malarine which is sold in some Asian countries (eg Cambodia) to treat malaria. It is also a totally different drug.
  • joaniemerc
    Options
    tonyabc wrote: »
    I was looking to see how much doctors charge for private prescriptions

My GP is charging £15 for the prescription. Checked Tesco pharmacy (in store) and they charge £2.55 per tablet.
  • ghol26
    ghol26 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I got 15 Malarone tablets last month for my trip to The Gambia. My doctor himself didn't charge for a private prescription it just cost about £38 in Sainsburys pharmacy which I didn't think was too bad. I got my jabs for free and was told I didn't need the Yellow Fever jab so that saved me £££s
  • Tojo_Ralph
    Tojo_Ralph Posts: 8,373 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tonyabc wrote: »
    All this stuff about prescriptions and prices etc is explained here doctorfox.co.uk/news/where-to-buy-malarone/

tonyabc and danners certainly do like to recommend the doctor-fox website. ;)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/search.html?searchid=77755597
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • Nico666
    Nico666 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just would like to say that i bought some anti-malaria tablets from my local chemist due to been very busy and not being able to shop around. paid around £60 for 2 adults and 2 children. 1 adult and 2 children staying 4 weeks and 1 adult staying 2 weeks.

Please Please double check the dosages yourself as after checking the leaflet myself and comparing the chemists recommendation. the childrens dosage was very wrong! Please don't rely on anyone else... Happy holidays..
  • chall1964
    chall1964 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    A fairer CSA for all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business