New Post Advanced Search

Can I claim for calls & time spent reporting a faulty laptop within 30 days

edited 12 May 2011 at 4:57PM in Consumer Rights
23 replies 2.4K views
claire.cmdclaire.cmd Forumite
15 posts
edited 12 May 2011 at 4:57PM in Consumer Rights
Should be 30 days sorry!!
I purchased a H.P laptop on the 4th March & reported a fault that had happened twice before (but I thought it may have been something I had done!) on the 4th April. I went through to the technical dept who went through a series of tests etc which took 3 days in total of phone calls to complete then the agent said it was faulty & needed to go for repair, I advised I was not going to accept this as the item developed a fault within 30 days, to cut a VERY long story short after several e-mails & calls to various people after being passed from pillar to post! H.P have advised I can have a refund or replacement, I have requested as a gesture of good will either an upgrade or refund plus refunding my costs for calls, time & usb's that I had to purchase to back up my system etc.
If I was to post the e-mails I have received back from H.P you will all be appalled by the lack of customer service! it has taken 5 weeks for them to authorise a refund of the unit only but I have to have the old one collected & then send a form off to them to do this apparently?? something I don't understand as it did not take that long for them to take my money!! Can anyone please advise me am I within my rights to seek compensation for the calls etc as the laptop was faulty??

Replies

• wealdroamwealdroam Forumite
    19.2K posts
    Who did you buy the thing from?
    Direct from HP?

Why do you expect compensation for "usb's that I had to purchase to back up my system"?
    Surely it is normal housekeeping to backup your data from time to time?

Any discussion about refunds, compensation should be taking place with the retailer who sold you the thing.
  • edited 12 May 2011 at 7:15PM
    claire.cmdclaire.cmd Forumite
    15 posts
    edited 12 May 2011 at 7:15PM
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Who did you buy the thing from?
    Direct from HP?

Why do you expect compensation for "usb's that I had to purchase to back up my system"?
    Surely it is normal housekeeping to backup your data from time to time?

Any discussion about refunds, compensation should be taking place with the retailer who sold you the thing.

The Laptop was purchased online direct from H.P, it is H.P who I am dealing with (the after sales team) who do not appear to have any customer service at all, they are not bothered about loosing my £600 sale and do not reply to my e-mails until I threaten to go to the small claims.
    I am looking for a reimbursment for anything extra I have had to use or pay for due to the faulty laptop as it is H.P who have caused me to use or pay for them. Why should I pay for something to do with their faulty product??

They advised me to back my system up on a usb & considering the laptop was only 4 weeks old no I did not have one to back my system up as it should not need doing so until a later stage as I did not have much data on it.
  • catfish50catfish50 Forumite
    545 posts
    claire.cmd wrote: »
    ...it has taken 5 weeks for them to authorise a refund of the unit only but I have to have the old one collected & then send a form off to them to do this apparently??

Seems reasonable enough. Why not just do this, take the refund, and buy a laptop elsewhere. Expecting to be compensated for USB sticks is daft. IMO.
  • visidigivisidigi Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    They advised me to back my system up on a usb & considering the laptop was only 4 weeks old no I did not have one to back my system up as it should not need doing so until a later stage as I did not have much data on it.

Sorry, but you should ALWAYS back up your data and not hang about doing so...
  • claire.cmdclaire.cmd Forumite
    15 posts
    Ok so your saying I should back up my laptop onto a usb every 4 weeks then?? I have never done that so soon in the past & never had a problem??

I am wanting to know if I can claim money back not only for a usb but for the 2 and a half hours spent on my phone to H.P plus the time spent reading & writing around 9 e-mails to and from them to get through to the correct person (as they kept passing me from one to another) to try to get firstly a replacement, then a refund due to the lack of service.
    I also do not understand why I have to send a form to them after they have collected the laptop for them to then send me a refund which no doubt will take around a week or even longer considering the past history
    15 posts
    catfish50 wrote: »
    Seems reasonable enough. Why not just do this, take the refund, and buy a laptop elsewhere. Expecting to be compensated for USB sticks is daft. IMO.

Sorry what does IMO mean??
  • edited 12 May 2011 at 8:37PM
    wealdroamwealdroam Forumite
    19.2K posts
    edited 12 May 2011 at 8:37PM
    ...they are not bothered about loosing my £600 sale...
    Don't understand that bit.

Surely they already have the sale?
    They are concerned, like any business would be, that they may have to give that money back to you.

Sadly in this day and age some organisations will go to great lengths, like not replying to emails etc, to delay making refunds or doing anything else that will cost them money.

They are hoping you will give up.

I really cannot understand why you won't fill in the form to get your refund.

On the compensation issue...
    If you want to pursue it then you need to write them a letter outlining your request.
    Yes, a request.
    With a polite request you will stand a better chance of achieving your objective. ;)
  • wealdroamwealdroam Forumite
    19.2K posts
    Sorry what does IMO mean??
    IMO = In My Opinion.
  • visidigivisidigi Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    In My Opinion..

And yes, you should back up data frequently - USB drives are not something you can expense for this...
    15 posts
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Don't understand that bit.

Surely they already have the sale?
    They are concerned, like any business would be, that they may have to give that money back to you.

Sadly in this day and age some organisations will go to great lengths, like not replying to emails etc, to delay making refunds or doing anything else that will cost them money.

They are hoping you will give up.

I really cannot understand why you won't fill in the form to get your refund.

On the compensation issue...
    If you want to pursue it then you need to write them a letter outlining your request.
    Yes, a request.
    With a polite request you will stand a better chance of achieving your objective. ;)

Thank you for this reply about the question I asked which was can I claim for expenses,
    I have requested this politley via e-mail already in a responce to a previous e-mail I have received from them asking if I was looking for a refund or replacement but they have not ans that part of the e-mail or the part where I have asked why this laptop is no longer available anywhere after only 2 months.
    They have offered a refund only so all other expenses are at my loss which again I dont feel I should have to pay for anything for the faulty laptop.
    I have worked in a large retail group & when a customer returned a faulty item we would refund the customers out of pocket expenses which is all I am asking for & a bit of good customer service.

They appear not to be concerned as I asked for a replacement in the first place but was told I could not have one. Now after 5 weeks I will be taking the refund but I am bothered about how long the whole process will take as I will then be without a laptop for days! but hey ho I will not be giving H.P my money again.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support