We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Save 45% on .com, .org and .net addresses. Grab your own personal domain

Options
12346»

Comments

• Martin81162
    Options
    lfc4ever wrote:
    ok guys i am new to all this but i am interested in setting up a website! But i am stuck! What do I do once I have bought a domain? Can I use a free webhosting and change the address? thanks

Hi, yes you can use free webshosting services for your domain. You can do a search for free web hosts but I would read the T&C's when choosing one because there are usually limitations on what you can do with a freebie.

All you would need to do once you find a host is to goto your domain control panel and enter the DNS of your host against your domain name (your new host will give you the DNS info). After a while your domain will show your new page.

When choosing a new host try and search for some reviews so that you can hear what their customers say about them.
    Martin
  • Sky_Digiman
    Options
    Try https://www.heartinternet.co.uk/freewebhosting.shtml im using that for my site. You upload by FTP so it would be best if u had something like Frontpage, Dreamweaver, etc and if your really advanced notepad.
    the Money Saving Expert team do not moderate forums, so if you see something that shouldnt be here report it! :beer:
  • Martin81162
    Options
    Try https://www.heartinternet.co.uk/freewebhosting.shtml im using that for my site. You upload by FTP so it would be best if u had something like Frontpage, Dreamweaver, etc and if your really advanced notepad.

I've just signed up for this free pacakge but I've noticed that there is a catch. You have to transfer your domain from your current registrar to Heart.

I personally wouldn't use a company that ties you in like this as it cost me a lot of money in extra fees when I signed up with 1and1 and trying to transfer away from them was a nightmare as I had to fill in a form, fax it to them and wait for a few weeks until they decided to release MY domain name. Never again!

Another thing I noticed was the domain prices, .co.uk are advertised as being 9p when in actual fact there are not. They cost you £2.59 plus vat. Why can't they just advertise that price from the start?
    Martin
  • suzyq
    suzyq Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    There damn expensive, if you work it out thats £48 a year with the top hosting package. Im with Web-mania it only costs £25 a year & Web-mania give better additional features as well as live customer support.

https://www.web-mania.com/cgi-bin/web-hosting/information.cgi
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Registerfly.com are quite keen on pricing and I have found them reliable. They are also one of the largest for domain registration companies, let you have complete control over your domains and do not charge an exit fee (but always read the t&cs as you never know when these change!).

They also run regular promotions - for example, at the moment you can register .net for $2.99 (with the offer code), .info $0.75, .com $6.99 and .co.uk for $4.99 per year. All the offer codes are on their promotion website www.theflypaper.com. These offers come up quite regularly (at least once a month) therefore no real rush, but if you are considering, they are normally lmited time only (eg 24/48 hours). The offers laways appear on their offer website and if you sign up for their email updates, you get updates as and when the offer is on.

For hosting, Hosting-Unlimited (www.hosting-unlimited.net) offer a good service - they also offer their leading Elite package on ebay for a fraction of the cost (£19.99 - last sale closed yesterday - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290063297839 - but appear regularly - after 12 mnonths, price is £29.95 which is still excellent value). Their hosting runs off cPanel and in additon to ftp, your own email addresses etc it includes Fantastico, which means you can install a wide range of (free) web software including discussion boards and Content Management Systems quickly.

Anon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family