We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Save 45% on .com, .org and .net addresses. Grab your own personal domain

Options

Comments

• simonpearce
    Options
    Do be careful, however, as many of these companies that offer low-price registrations, sting you later (eg, charging £25 if you want to move the domain name to another provider).

Someone like http://www.simpledomainnames.co.uk may charge £10 per domain but there's 100% no strings!

Read the T&C carefully.

Simon
  • BigDonut
    BigDonut Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    123reg have no strings attatched.

I've used them with no problems for registering domains and pointing to hosting.

they are generally one of the best priced domain name suppliers out there.
    I would heartily recommend them
  • Reflex
    Reflex Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    I've heard godaddy.com recommended a few times. I want the security of a big company, and I'm more concerned about service than the absolute lowest price.

Godaddy seems to cost beween $7 and $9 per year.

Seems to be
    UKREg
    GoDaddy

Which do people with experience here recommend?

Thanks
    Reflex
  • A-Wing
    A-Wing Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    I really do not condone the use of 123-reg. I can cite at least 20 examples of people having problems with them. I have had to threaten them with court action before for taking money without doing anything and then for blocking transfer of one of my domains. I know I'm not the only one.
    As with a lot of things, you get what you pay for!
    Windows is the path to the darkside...Windows leads to Blue Screen. Blue Screen leads to downtime. Downtime leads to suffering...I sense much Windows in you.
  • lightbulb
    Options
    Reflex wrote:
    I've heard godaddy.com recommended a few times. I want the security of a big company, and I'm more concerned about service than the absolute lowest price.

Godaddy seems to cost beween $7 and $9 per year.

Seems to be
    UKREg
    GoDaddy

Which do people with experience here recommend?

Thanks
    Reflex

I used to buy my domains at UKreg until I started shopping around, looking for cheaper US companies. I still have some .co.uk domains at UKreg and haven't had any problems with them. I can't speak for 123reg or GoDaddy.

For more opinions on a domain registrar, you can always run a search for the company on the WebHosting Talk forums, in the Domain Name Forum.
  • eposmike
    eposmike Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I've used https://www.1and1.co.uk for years. £3.98 for 2 years for .co.uk or .org.uk. Most ISPs give you free web space and email accounts so all you have to do is use 1and1 to point to your free web space and email. Then set your reply address in outlook/outlook express to your domain email address. You can also set up an auto responder which lets people know that their emails to you have arrived. This is very useful when you are on holiday.

eg. myname@myisp.co.uk is pointed to by myname@mydomain.co.uk
    and
    http://mywebspace.myisp.co.uk is pointed to by https://www.mydomain.co.uk
  • durain
    durain Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    always check how much the renewal cost is!!!
  • A-Wing
    A-Wing Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    durain wrote:
    always check how much the renewal cost is!!!

Not really that important as domain transfers are free, when they can be bothered to process them.
    Windows is the path to the darkside...Windows leads to Blue Screen. Blue Screen leads to downtime. Downtime leads to suffering...I sense much Windows in you.
  • richt71
    richt71 Posts: 946 Forumite
    Options
    WelshLamb wrote:
    I may sound a bit thick here but....what do you actually need to do after buying a domain name? Do you need something special to set up a webpage or can it be done easily with a bit of patience.

e.g if i was to buy one for my husband, what will he need to do to set it up?:o

You don't usually get much with a domain name I'm afraid appart from a unique address like joebloggs.com rather than isp.com/users/1246565.
    You can get hosting (to have a website/webpage) added to your domain but dependant how fancy and how many people visit it'll cost extra. It's not usually a lot though if you just want a page up for family and friends.
    If you purchase a domain most companies will push the hosting with it as this is were they make their money.
  • sbaraka
    Options
    I use https://www.fxdomains.com as well and I'm quite happy with them. Especially if you are going for more domain names (different extensions etc) and maybe need some hosting as well, you're quite well off as ALL their products are low priced which is often a problem with other registrars where maybe one extension might be cheap but then they sting you on things like forwarding/masking etc while at fxdomains, you really get everything included for a very low price.
    What I like especially is that you get a real email account (pop3) with every domain registration so one where you can't just receive emails but also sent using your own domain name (as you get 250 email relays free per day).
    I stick with them as overall I haven't found a better deal yet..

just my 0.02c

Simon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills