Operating System (Linux / Windows) in Polish?

Options

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,859 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    S0litaire wrote: »
    Think the OP's having a keyboard language problem at the moment...
    OP can see the Wireless network, but the layout of the keyboard is wrong so can't enter in the password correctly...

I think that is a red herring sol , he says it returns @ for an @ , my sammy cannot log in to my WPA2 without Ndiswrapper, however it could log on to WEP or No Encryption. If he has a realtek 8192 then it will not work.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • MarkBargain
    MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    Options
    My netbook is a Zoostorm. Yes, I was able to get the @ sign by pressing shift-2 but that wouldn't connect me for some reason (I checked the password on screen, it was exactly right). So I might need to use something called Ndiswrapper? I thought the latest Ubuntu would connect to wi-fi easily. I can see why people are put off Linux! (which is a bit of a shame I think as I'd love a free alternative to Microsoft)
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    My netbook is a Zoostorm. Yes, I was able to get the @ sign by pressing shift-2 but that wouldn't connect me for some reason (I checked the password on screen, it was exactly right). So I might need to use something called Ndiswrapper? I thought the latest Ubuntu would connect to wi-fi easily. I can see why people are put off Linux! (which is a bit of a shame I think as I'd love a free alternative to Microsoft)
    Tried Ubuntu 11.10 on an old EeePC 701 - wouldn't load correctly, just stuck at the 'Try/Install' stage (but would allow me to connect to the 'net).

Will stick with EasyPeasy (based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS), which works fine and boots quickly.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,859 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

If you enter lspci it will tell you which network card you have, ndiswrapper may be able to use the one in the Windows Folder on Win 7 , or you may to get one from the manufacturers web site. I had to do that with my realtek, up until 10.04 the linux driver in the kernel worked...
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • MarkBargain
    Options
    Baldur wrote: »
    Tried Ubuntu 11.10 on an old EeePC 701 - wouldn't load correctly, just stuck at the 'Try/Install' stage (but would allow me to connect to the 'net).

Will stick with EasyPeasy (based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS), which works fine and boots quickly.

Does EasyPeasy allow me to switch the language to Polish though?
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    Does EasyPeasy allow me to switch the language to Polish though?
    Can't recall offhand, don't see why not, as it's based on Ubuntu. You could check the forum - http://forums.geteasypeasy.com/index.php?sid=feeaade82299b9bf0cff6281981b3d5b

As far as I can remember, virtually all Linux distros, even down to those that run from a small SD card/pendrive, that I've tried give the option to select language/keyboard/timezone, etc., at the start of the installation process.
  • 23n1th
    23n1th Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    Options
    Steer clear of 11.04, it has that rubbish Unity windows manager! I wont be using it until its not the default interface. Besides you'll probably need a lighter distro to run on a zoostorm netbook.
  • MarkBargain
    Options
    Okay, I put Easypeasy onto a USB drive and booted my netbook from it. That's fine, but this time it can't find any wireless networks so I can't even click onto my network to enter the password, so I am further back in the process than under Ubuntu 11.10! Maybe it is my netbook, but that works fine with Windows 7 starter.
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    To get the wireless working in Ubuntu, the easiest way is to connect it using a Network cable.

Then go to system / administration / additional drivers
    it will whirr away for a few seconds then give you options about what wireless device to install, pick one and it will install everything required to get it working.
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • candtalan
    candtalan Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    I could do, but I need to get wi-fi working on Ubuntu, as once Polish is installed it will need to be used as the main operating system so will need internet access.

The same netbook in the same place with the same broadband passwords works fine in Windows 7, so I am not sure why it doesn't in Ubuntu. In Ubuntu the @ key returned " so in my password I tried both (my password has an @ in it).

Use (or search) the 'Additional Drivers' facility, it will know which drivers to use. If any are listed, they will need to probably be downloaded from the correct place which will be automatic, however, you will need to connect temporarily with an ethernet cable.

Ndiswrapper is a rather out dated method nowadays, so avoid it if you can, although it will probably still work if you are desperate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure