Operating System (Linux / Windows) in Polish?

Options
I would like to set up a computer for a Polish friend to use. Is there an operating system out there that allows the user to switch between languages? (change everything from English to Polish)

I believe Windows 7 can offer a selection of languages when it is installed after which this can never be changed - is that right?

Comments

• gonzo127
    gonzo127 Posts: 4,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 April 2011 at 12:12PM
    Options
    dont know if you can change 'in the middle' of any os, mainly because i have never tried, however have you considers duel booting and installing on in polish and the other in english, Linux would of course be the best option because of it being free for this thing since i dont know how a Windows license would work in this situation
    Drop a brand challenge
    on a £100 shop you might on average get 70 items save
    10p per product = £7 a week ~ £28 a month
    20p per product = £14 a week ~ £56 a month
    30p per product = £21 a week ~ £84 a month (or in other words one weeks shoping at the new price)
  • MarkBargain
    MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    Options
    Dual booting is an excellent idea and one I hadn't thought of. So, I'll just need to find a Polish version of Linux then. Some Ebay sellers sell USB sticks with Linux on, so I could ask them if they can make Polish versions.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 29 April 2011 at 1:10PM
    Options
    Dual booting is an excellent idea and one I hadn't thought of. So, I'll just need to find a Polish version of Linux then. Some Ebay sellers sell USB sticks with Linux on, so I could ask them if they can make Polish versions.

I think (but don't quote me) that the Ubuntu ISO has many languages ,
    Wait a mo I am posting from Ubutnu now lemme look .......

Edited I only installed English , but you can down load and install others and make them system wide. I can't say if all the man pages etc are all translated but hey give it a go . ( I would stick to 10.10 at the mo tho 11.04 is very new ie 24hours general release)
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • free4440273
    free4440273 Posts: 38,438 Forumite
    Options
    I would like to set up a computer for a Polish friend to use. Is there an operating system out there that allows the user to switch between languages? (change everything from English to Polish)

I believe Windows 7 can offer a selection of languages when it is installed after which this can never be changed - is that right?

depends on the version of Windows/ not Starter, nor Home, ///
    BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? :shocked: OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!

THE KILLERS :cool:

THE PUNISHER :dance: MATURE CHEDDAR ADDICT:cool:
  • free4440273
    free4440273 Posts: 38,438 Forumite
    Options
    You will need to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate for this capability. Only Windows 7 Ultimate includes Multilingual User Interface (Language Pack) support. You can then install the English Language Pack from under Regional and Language settings in Control Panel.

You can do an Anytime Upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate which will preserve your personal files and settings:

Learn more: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-anytime-upgrade
    BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? :shocked: OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!

THE KILLERS :cool:

THE PUNISHER :dance: MATURE CHEDDAR ADDICT:cool:
  • MarkBargain
    Options
    I think (but don't quote me) that the Ubuntu ISO has many languages ,
    Wait a mo I am posting from Ubutnu now lemme look .......

Edited I only installed English , but you can down load and install others and make them system wide. I can't say if all the man pages etc are all translated but hey give it a go . ( I would stick to 10.10 at the mo tho 11.04 is very new ie 24hours general release)

I was downloading Ubuntu 11.04 (it was about an hour into a 3 hour download...so slow!!) but I stopped it becauase I think I was just downloading the English version. I need the one with a Polish language option, can someone advise me the best place to download it from? Ideally I'd like to download it onto a USB flash drive and boot from there on my netbook to try it out.
  • MarkBargain
    Options
    You will need to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate for this capability. Only Windows 7 Ultimate includes Multilingual User Interface (Language Pack) support. You can then install the English Language Pack from under Regional and Language settings in Control Panel.

You can do an Anytime Upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate which will preserve your personal files and settings:

Learn more: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-anytime-upgrade

I have Home Premium on my laptop and Starter on my netbook, so it would cost me about £100 to upgrade to Ultimate I think, so I'll look for a Linux solution.
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 29 April 2011 at 4:14PM
    Options
    I was downloading Ubuntu 11.04 (it was about an hour into a 3 hour download...so slow!!) but I stopped it becauase I think I was just downloading the English version. I need the one with a Polish language option, can someone advise me the best place to download it from? Ideally I'd like to download it onto a USB flash drive and boot from there on my netbook to try it out.

Ubuntu has a single install image for all languages.

You select the language and keyboard type during install.

So you should have kept going with the Ubuntu download...

^_^ it *should* be a tiny bit faster today...

jump to step 2 on the link below for the Windows instructions on how to get the iso to boot from USB stick
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • MarkBargain
    Options
    Thanks. I just started the Ubuntu download again and it says it will take 4 hours 17 minutes for a 685MB file!! I have stopped it again therefore and will try again later. The problem is their end, as my broadband runs at 8MB-a-second.
  • gaming_guy
    gaming_guy Posts: 6,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 June 2012 at 2:24PM
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts