Operating System (Linux / Windows) in Polish?

Options

Comments

• MarkBargain
    MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    Options
    I tried again from the main site and it is now downloading at 1.1MB a second, so it should be with me in 9 minutes. :-)
  • candtalan
    candtalan Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    I tried again from the main site and it is now downloading at 1.1MB a second, so it should be with me in 9 minutes. :-)

Ha! The new versions of Ubuntu just came out, so all the world is suddenly downloading the new stuff, the servers would have been slow.
    good luck
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    IIRC, You can set Ubuntu up to have a language option on the user logon page.

also with Ubuntu (and other free software, eg Thunderbird/Firefox and OpenOffice.org) there are no costs for additional language packs.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • MarkBargain
    Options
    Okay, right, I downloaded Ubuntu, made the USB drive, and ran my netbook from that (without installing for the moment). Ubuntu loaded fine, but I cannot get it to connect to the internet or open Firefox at all. I selected my wireless network from the top-right and entered the correct password several times but it would not connect. I believe I need the internet to download the Polish language. Any advice?
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Best thing is to connect using a network cable.

Or failing that:
    If you have an Android phone you can plug that into the USB and tether it to your Wi-Fi to get the required files...
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • MarkBargain
    Options
    S0litaire wrote: »
    Best thing is to connect using a network cable.

Or failing that:
    If you have an Android phone you can plug that into the USB and tether it to your Wi-Fi to get the required files...

I could do, but I need to get wi-fi working on Ubuntu, as once Polish is installed it will need to be used as the main operating system so will need internet access.

The same netbook in the same place with the same broadband passwords works fine in Windows 7, so I am not sure why it doesn't in Ubuntu. In Ubuntu the @ key returned " so in my password I tried both (my password has an @ in it).
  • S0litaire
    Options
    First try "shift+2" to get a "@" sign

You might have the US keyboard. can to get to "System" / "Preferences" / "Keyboard"
    Then go to "Layouts" tab and see what's there,
    If it say's United Kingdon try changing it to "Unites States"
    See if the keyboard keys are correct now...
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,859 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I could do, but I need to get wi-fi working on Ubuntu, as once Polish is installed it will need to be used as the main operating system so will need internet access.

The same netbook in the same place with the same broadband passwords works fine in Windows 7, so I am not sure why it doesn't in Ubuntu. In Ubuntu the @ key returned " so in my password I tried both (my password has an @ in it).

Which netbook buddy is it a sammy ? or has it got a realtek8192 card cos they don't work without watch-a-me-call it (you need windows driver and the stuff to load it ...) , brain dead wait it will come back in a min, my sig is true see... My netbook is in the car and the wife is in the car somewhere else.:o
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,859 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Been searching brain via google - NDISWRAPPER is what I meant
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • S0litaire
    Options
    Been searching brain via google - NDISWRAPPER is what I meant

Think the OP's having a keyboard language problem at the moment...
    OP can see the Wireless network, but the layout of the keyboard is wrong so can't enter in the password correctly...
    Laters

Sol

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure