Silver Savers

in Over 50s Money Saving
59 replies 11.8K views
MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
8.3K Posts
✭✭✭✭
Thought I would add a special board for the 50s and overs out there. There are lots of financial benefits for being over fifty - often cheaper insurance (but not travel), special discounts and a variety of other distinct financial issues.

As students get their own board - i thought why not add a silver board. Don't know if it will be used. But I await finding out with interest

Martin
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Replies

• FastflysFastflys Forumite
    344 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hi Martin,

Turned the big 50 in June :(

Looking forward to the next 50 - Want the birthday card from Buck House. :D;)

Will use this board for sure.

Just posted a 50+ question on another board. Click on the link below if you wish to read it.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Insurance;action=display;num=1058719517

[move]"This Morning" - Bikini Design - Enough Said!![/move]
    ;)Do It To Them Before They Do It To You ;)
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now come on FastFlys - I thought my bikini had charm and class - a veritable collectors item, my pounds sign motif was positively designer!

I moved your post by the way thought it would be good on here. Hope that's ok and glad you think the board is a good idea. (PS happy birthday for June)

Martin
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
  • FastflysFastflys Forumite
    344 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hi Martin

Thanks for the birthday wishes.
    £ signs - You may have a point [or two] :o

Two holes in bikini bottoms?
    Was you thinking of the best bank accounts? - Easy access and no withdrawal restrictions!! ;D ;)

Glad you moved my post - Best place for it.
    ;)Do It To Them Before They Do It To You ;)
  • :)Hello Martin
    i think your new board is an excellant idea because sometimes there aree specific questions to ask which has age conditions connected to it. Hope it is successful.
    My first questioon is about types of mortgage payments protection plans. What is out there and how do they work??? until not i have not bothered but feel there is now mmore reason to think about it since although i have capital, my income will be reduced is future .

my second question is i will come into a capital sum of about £50,000 and wondered which would be the best option to do with this money as i want the capital safe but would want it to earn more than a savings account in the bank. I do have a with profits bond just now with other money but because i have taken a monthly amount it is not keeping up with the full capital projection.??? Thanks Pat
  • A good place to start for mortgage protection is Martin's article MPPI - protect your mortgage payments on the main site.
  • It's a great idea to have a board for the over 50's but not sure if you'll get a lot of feedback as not everyone wants to admit to being a 'Silver Saver'.

A year ago I used Saga for my car insurance (thinking it would be much cheaper - it wasn't) and was then too embarassed to tell people who my insurer was. This year I went back to the AA and can now hold my head up again.

Silver?? Perhaps Salt n Pepper. And my favourite station is Kiss FM, when not listening to pirate stations! 8) (just wish I could post this anonymously)
    www.greatincomes.com
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I should call it 'silver savers ssssssssh.....'
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or secret silver savers.....
  • Could be difficult to say with false teeth ;D
    www.greatincomes.com
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I am moving to Spain soon, and would like to know if there is anyway i could save money on the change over to euro's, we really are losing lots.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide