PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Piadine - Cheap OS meal

Comments

• Lizzieanne
    Lizzieanne Posts: 476 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    These sound great - I must give them a go, but I think I'll use the trusty old bread maker. :)
    Mortgage Free as of 03/07/2017 :beer:
  • yallapilko
    yallapilko Posts: 70 Forumite
    I've just made them with gluton free white bread flour in the bread maker. You need about 25ml more water for gluton free flour, but other wise
    FANTASTIC.
    THANK YOU!
  • jinky67
    jinky67 Posts: 47,812 Forumite
    I made these last night with half and half wholemeal and plain flour,they wre fab.I didnt leave then to sit though and they were fine.The family can kiss goodbye to their tortillas now!!!
    :heartpulsOnce a Flylady, always a Flylady:heartpuls
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Lizzieanne wrote: »
    These sound great - I must give them a go, but I think I'll use the trusty old bread maker. :)

There really is no point using a breadmaker:) All it will do is mix the flour, water and oil together. This isn't a yeasted bread after all. Just bung the ingredients in a bowl mix together, knead for a bit and leave to rest. I would imagine it is much quicker to do it by hand.
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    HappyIdiotTalk Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    thriftlady wrote: »
    There really is no point using a breadmaker:)

Unless your lazy like me! ;)

That said thriftlady's has me convinced, I'm going to try it by hand myself next time.
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • Will absolutely definitely be making these! Thanks so much HIT! This enables me to cut the tortilla wraps off my online shop for next month - saving about £4 so really pleased with that. Thanks again and thanks to everyone else for the recipe ideas to go with these. Delish!
    :xmassmile:rudolf:
  • WrenBoy
    WrenBoy Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I froze some on Saturday and had them for lunch today - just zapped for a few seconds in the microwave and they came out lovely. I do make mine a bit thicker though, more like very thinly sliced bread rather than wraps. Very tasty and DH loves them!

Wren
  • ticitybo
    ticitybo Posts: 13 Forumite
    Many thanks for the tips and ides following which I tried these at the weekend as a wrap for my left over Lamb Tikka Delight and they were delicious.

Given that I like to “experiment” I doubled up the quantities, used natural yoghurt as well as water (approximately 4/5 yoghurt to 1/5 water), added a good glug of Olive oil for good measure, and added some ground almonds for extra flavour and texture.

Oh and yes, I used the Breadmaker to do the kneading, this frees up my time to other jobs whilst the dough is being made.

I’m guessing that this would be called some form of Parantha type bread; either way it was delicious and by doubling up I made 8 full sized wraps and they were a real hit with my children, and indeed the adults.

Thanks once again for the original idea that prompted me to give it a go.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    ticitybo wrote: »

Oh and yes, I used the Breadmaker to do the kneading, this frees up my time to other jobs whilst the dough is being made.

:) How long does the breadmaker take to knead the dough ? I'm curious because I only kneaded mine for about 2 mins. I don't think there are many other jobs I could do in that time :confused:
  • ticitybo
    ticitybo Posts: 13 Forumite
    Using the “pizza” option it takes 45mins to make and the result is nice, warm, soft, pliable warm dough – easy to shape and roll.

Yes, I know making it by hand can be quicker but whilst the breadmaker was making the dough I had time to set the table (then have a rest with a stubbie), reheat the Lamb Tikka Delight accompanied with some Saag Aloo and pilau rice (which I then kept warm in a low oven) followed by another rest with another stubbie which coincided with the breadmaker finishing it’s cycle.

This is followed by a quick session of divide, roll and cook, using two pre-heated pans (with an occasional stubbie in between) and bingo– lunch is served with yet another stubbie.

In my own opinion, if you make dough in less than 2 minutes the flour will not have had time to become soft and pliable; particularly if you are using strong flour which has a higher protein content which in turn produces gluten when the liquid is added.

It may well be a different story with soft, plain flour; haven’t tried it so I wouldn’t know, all I can say is that recipes that use strong flour benefit from lots of kneading and resting (resting is good for all recipes but is far more important if the recipe contains yeast) and the breadmaker does this automatically without any effort on my part.

Each to their own is an appropriate motto, and as such I would gather that you’re just as happy with the finished product as I am so I guess the end result justifies the means and methods used.

I guess it doesn’t matter what method you use, apparently we are all happy with the bread that is produced and I’m very thankful for the suggestion that originated from HappyIdiotTalk.

Thanks once again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport