Basic Bank Account Thread

Comments

• sgx.saint
    sgx.saint Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had 2 basic accounts in 2 banks,...1 with barclays and 2 with Natwest,
    the problem is i had recently changed the Natwest bank account address to other address,
    and i didnt changed the second bank address.. /
    mean while i had applied for credit card and i got rejected......
    Does my address at the natwest bank effect this// please help me....

I am not 100% sure what you are asking here, so I will answer the questions that I think your asking (if that makes sense).

1) Yes, you can have as many Basic Bank Accounts as you like. They do not affect your credit rating as they do not show on your credit file.

2) If you have two Basic Bank Accounts already, then that suggests to me that your credit rating maybe poor. So this is the most likely reason you got declined for a Credit Card.
  • Hi,
    Just another Citibank update; this morning I received my VISA debit card. :j It's taken around 3 weeks from application, not bad considering the time of year. I'm just waiting on my PINs now to activate my account and card.
    Good luck to everyone else who is trying for this account.
    MF
  • Hi,
    Just another Citibank update; this morning I received my VISA debit card. :j It's taken around 3 weeks from application, not bad considering the time of year. I'm just waiting on my PINs now to activate my account and card.
    Good luck to everyone else who is trying for this account.
    MF

That's excellent news :T
    Looking forward to some good news myself on this one!
  • Do you gat a cheque book with the citibank account?
    March prizes: 6 x Crufts tickets, tickets to Wham live! Heck naked sausages, DVD :D:D:D
  • Yes, you do apparently get a cheque book with a Citibank account and well as a Visa Debit card, but the card is apparently not a cheque guarentee card.
    £2 Coin Savers Club (Christmas)- £86
    £1 Jar (Christmas)- £29
    Christmas Vouchers Saved: £145
  • Hello

My husband was recently refused a bank account from the HSBC, according to the info from the FSA, they will only refused undischarged bankrupts, and he is discharged. Has he got any chance of complaining? And getting this changed? He has a basic bank account with the Co op but there is no Co op's near us and it is hard to pay money in, I'm with the HSBC and it would make more sense for us to be with the same one so we can transfer money between us, etc.

Thanks.
  • sgx.saint
    Hello

My husband was recently refused a bank account from the HSBC, according to the info from the FSA, they will only refused undischarged bankrupts, and he is discharged. Has he got any chance of complaining? And getting this changed? He has a basic bank account with the Co op but there is no Co op's near us and it is hard to pay money in, I'm with the HSBC and it would make more sense for us to be with the same one so we can transfer money between us, etc.

Thanks.

Hi Philippa.

You are well within your rights to complain, and you are entitled to send a complaint to the FSA making them aware of the situation.

However, a bank is well within its rights to refuse your husband a bank account. The FSA does not enforce banks to ensure that they offer an account which anyone can open. The FSA simply made strong recommendations to the banking community that they should offer some type of basic account which pretty much anyone would be entitled to open regardless of financial circumstance.

However as I have already stated, a bank can and will still refuse individuals as you have seen first hand.

My recommendation would be to try opening a different account with a different bank.

Three I recommend:-

Natwest - Step Account
    Yorkshire Bank - ReadyCash
    CitiBank - Sterling Current Account (This is a full current account)
  • Hello......He has a basic bank account with the Co op but there is no Co op's near us and it is hard to pay money in,

Do you have a Post Office near you?

You can deposit cash and cheques via the Post Office - but you need your card to deposit cash and you need a Co-Op envelope (which they send you, as soon as you open an account with them) to deposit cheques.
  • Icemoose
    Icemoose Posts: 79 Forumite
    Still not heard anything back from Natwest been 15 days since I went in to apply for there basic account the one with the solo card. My application had to be sent away along with my certificate of discharge from my bankruptcy. They did say they had no problems letting me have this account if I provided this proof as I have a savings account with them which is conducted well (there words…)

Wonder how long I should wait till I contact them to chase it up…. With it being Christmas and all!
  • sgx.saint
    Wonder how long I should wait till I contact them to chase it up

No harm in giving them a call to chase it up. If you are un-successful in your application to Natwest I am sure we can help you find an alternative, if not better account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure