Basic Bank Account Thread

Options

Comments

• hi there fellow sufferers,hoping im not on my own here,am making enquiries for a friend , ihave recently gone through the rigours of bankruptcy and am now on the other side ,I would be obliged if anyone could give me a route to assisting my friend in getting a basic bank account,she has a d.m.p,but now requires a new bank ,however it would appear it was easier to get 1 after i being declared bankrupt,she seems to be running into a brickwall and as yet seems unable to secure an account for her general banking,bill paying etc etc ,after a few online applications where it seems you are unable to specify that all you are after is a basic account and no frills and a couple of unsuccessful branch visits,this problem is causing much consternation,hoping someone will graciously be able to shed some light and put me on the path to passing my friend the relevant info necessary .thanks in advance

dazedandconfusticated
  • Vincent_Buenisedes
    Options
    I popped in my local Lloyds branch looking to apply for one of their cash accounts, as per instructions on their website. http://www.lloydsbank.com/current-accounts/cash-account.asp
    I looked through their leaflets and the cash account was advertised in them also, so I asked the advisor on the customer service desk for an application form. At first he tried to get me to apply for a current account there and then - which I refused - and after umming and awwing he then told me that the service was being withdrawn. I told him that it was still being advertised in their leaflets and website and after he checked, he still claimed it was being withdrawn and they didn't have any application forms in stock anymore.

Now I'm dectecting a strong whiff of !!!!!!!! here, and they just want me to have a current account. So here's the question for anyone who's applied for this type of account with LLoyds: Has this account been withdrawn, or does the chap not know what he's talking about? I'm not to worried as I'm going to Barclays tomorrow to apply for one of their basic accounts. They still try to get me to apply for a current account, but at least they don't deny they have one.
  • chakrist
    Options
    I recently opened a basic bank account with Barclays. I received my debit card and all is working with no problems. However out of the blue I have received letters from 2 debt collection agencies about ancient debts from many years ago. Has my opening this account triggered these or is it purely coincidental.
  • MrSilk
    MrSilk Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    chakrist wrote: »
    I recently opened a basic bank account with Barclays. I received my debit card and all is working with no problems. However out of the blue I have received letters from 2 debt collection agencies about ancient debts from many years ago. Has my opening this account triggered these or is it purely coincidental.

Unfortunately it's not coincidental, when you take out a new financial product, especially with a bank, using your current address, the bank shall make a link from your previous address to your new address, which if any CRAs frequently check your files for tracing purposes, they'll be able to see your new address.

There's no way to hide from your debts unfortunately, however if you've not made payment or acknowledged the debts within the last 6 years, they may be statute barred. :)
  • chakrist
    Options
    I think they would be statute barred does it affect my new account in any way
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's unlikely to, Barclays will probably have taken these into account when opening your account.
  • itsisme
    itsisme Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I want to open a second bank account. Is there an account that does not do a credit check?
  • dr_adidas01
    dr_adidas01 Posts: 2,136 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    itsisme wrote: »
    I want to open a second bank account. Is there an account that does not do a credit check?

Not really all major banks credit check people who want to open an account!!
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
  • Chrisblue1962
    Chrisblue1962 Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As far as I'm aware, a credit check is NOT carried out for basic bank accounts :)
    DFW'er - Lightbulb moment : 31st July 2009 - £18,499
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.
    Demolishing my House of Debt.. one brick at a time!! :)
    Thinking of spending???..YNAB says "NO!!!!"

• dr_adidas01
    dr_adidas01 Posts: 2,136 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As far as I'm aware, a credit check is NOT carried out for basic bank accounts :)

Wrong Barclays now do it as do Santander oh and Lloyds Banking Group and TSB.

Plenty of posts on this forum about people having basic accounts not opened as there credit files are seriously ruined, or even after further checks have been closed having them closed a week after them being opened.
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure