🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Quick questions on Consumer Rights

Options

Comments

• Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,859 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It really isn't clear what you are asking advice on.

However it would appear you have been persuaded to buy overpriced products and now you have changed your mind.

Is this the case?
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • franby64
    franby64 Posts: 944 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morning

Yesterday I placed an order with Ethical Superstore and paid through paypal. After I had made the paypal payment I realised that the ES order had not finished processing. I left it for 20 mins but I was still getting a processing page so eventually left the page. Now it seems the order didn't finish processing but the paypal payment did go through.
    Please could someone advise me how I should sort this out as my payment seems to have fallen into a back hole. ES don't seem very interested though I will get back to them today. I'm a bit dismayed that their website allows this to happen. Will ES refund it when PP try to pay them for a nonexistant order? I'm guessing I'll have to wait a while to get it back in any case. Can I cancel a completed paypal payment?
    Advice would be appreciated as to where to start!
    August Shopping Challenge. 26/8. Budget £250 Spent £256.81.. £6.81 over. So £0.00 a day left.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    franby64 wrote: »
    Morning

Yesterday I placed an order with Ethical Superstore and paid through paypal. After I had made the paypal payment I realised that the ES order had not finished processing. I left it for 20 mins but I was still getting a processing page so eventually left the page. Now it seems the order didn't finish processing but the paypal payment did go through.
    Please could someone advise me how I should sort this out as my payment seems to have fallen into a back hole. ES don't seem very interested though I will get back to them today. I'm a bit dismayed that their website allows this to happen. Will ES refund it when PP try to pay them for a nonexistant order? I'm guessing I'll have to wait a while to get it back in any case. Can I cancel a completed paypal payment?
    Advice would be appreciated as to where to start!

It'll probably sort out fairly simply - get the payment reference details from paypal, call the vendor, and say that there were technical problems whilst ordering so you want to check it's gone through. Unless they're very, very stupid indeed, they'll want your money and want you as a repeat customer, so will sort things out. If they are very, very stupid, raise an issue through paypal as a last resort.
  • myfriendpiegan
    Options
    Are travel tickets such as National Express coaches bought online covered under the Consumer Contracts Regulations? I haven't been able to find a definitive answer through Google, only that 'hotel bookings, flights, car hire, concerts and other event tickets' are exempt. Thanks in advance.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Such tickets are exempt from the cancellation rights. Part 3, clause 27(c)
    (c) for passenger transport services.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/part/3/made
  • losinj1
    losinj1 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 31 August 2015 at 2:55AM
    Options
    Hi Folks

I bought a new watch with an automatic movement from an internet seller that I've used before without problems. The self-winding action is making an unusual noise, otherwise the watch seems to run okay, so I sent it back for his opinion. He says he's checked it over and there's nothing wrong with it, the noise is "normal" - but I'm not satisfied, based on my own experience of several other watches having an identical or a related movement.

I then asked if he would confirm whether other watches of the same type made the same noise, and basically he's restated what he said before, so I don't think he bothered to check.

Realistically, can I afford to press further, or am I just going to have to accept his decision? (Would it be too much, for example, to ask him to return my original watch, plus another one, for me to compare them?) Thanks for any advice.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    Options
    losinj1 wrote: »
    Hi Folks

I bought a new watch with an automatic movement from an internet seller that I've used before without problems. The self-winding action is making an unusual noise, otherwise the watch seems to run okay, so I sent it back for his opinion. He says he's checked it over and there's nothing wrong with it, the noise is "normal" - but I'm not satisfied, based on my own experience of several other watches having an identical or a related movement.

I then asked if he would confirm whether other watches of the same type made the same noise, and basically he's restated what he said before, so I don't think he bothered to check.

Realistically, can I afford to press further, or am I just going to have to accept his decision? (Would it be too much, for example, to ask him to return my original watch, plus another one, for me to compare them?) Thanks for any advice.
    Your suggestion, of him sending a second watch so you can compare them, is unreasonable.

Why not take your watch to a third party expert and ask his opinion?
  • Sunshine_and_Roses
    Options
    Can anyone point me in the right place where to find a letter before action to send to a private seller? A relative bought an item off Ebay, paid by bank transfer and did not receive the goods. He has been calling the seller but he has now blocked his number. I have tried, he is still trading on Gumtree, but I am not sure how to help. I have an address to write to, as I thought that this may be the best way to try to get his money back. All the template letters I have seen are to companies rather than individuals.

Any advice would be appreciated
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    Options
    clareski wrote: »
    Can anyone point me in the right place where to find a letter before action to send to a private seller? A relative bought an item off Ebay, paid by bank transfer and did not receive the goods. He has been calling the seller but he has now blocked his number. I have tried, he is still trading on Gumtree, but I am not sure how to help. I have an address to write to, as I thought that this may be the best way to try to get his money back. All the template letters I have seen are to companies rather than individuals.

Any advice would be appreciated
    Dear Mr Xyz,
    Letter Before Action

On dd/mm/yyyy I bought a widget from you on ebay - item number 123456784321.

I still have not received the item.

If I do not receive the goods or a refund of £nnn.nn before [date 21 days hence], I will not hesitate to start a Small Claims Court action to recover my money.

Your etc, Joe Bloggs.

Have you opened an ebay 'item not received' case?
    How was that concluded?
  • Sunshine_and_Roses
    Options
    Thanks Wealdrome, just what I need.

I think he removed the listing from Ebay before anything could be done. As it was agreed over the phone to pay by bank transfer I don't think anything can be done through Ebay.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure