Quick questions on Consumer Rights

Options

Comments

• psyman17
    psyman17 Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought a barbecue from Homebase 3 weeks ago but when I came to assemble it, one of the parts broke in half (not my fault - it was a weak joint).
    I'm unable to find the receipt & I paid with debit card. Can I take it back for a replacement? If so can I ask them to just replace the broken part as most of the barbecue is now assembled.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    psyman17 wrote: »
    I bought a barbecue from Homebase 3 weeks ago but when I came to assemble it, one of the parts broke in half (not my fault - it was a weak joint).
    I'm unable to find the receipt & I paid with debit card. Can I take it back for a replacement? If so can I ask them to just replace the broken part as most of the barbecue is now assembled.

You can certainly ask for a replacement.
    You can certainly ask for a replacement part.
    They in turn are entitled to ask you for proof of purchase which does not have to be a receipt... it could, for example be your bank statement with the debit card purchase on it.

Why not go to Homebase and see what they say?
  • fire_born
    Options
    Hi, I bought a 7" tablet for my daughter at Lidl 8 months ago which has developed a fault. I have the receipt, but unfortunately if I took it back to Lidl they would just give me a refund as they cannot provide replacements which is what I want. The manufacturer of the tablet is German. Does my consumer rights apply here in getting a replacement from the manufacturer? They are being of no help at the moment.
    Thanks
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    fire_born wrote: »
    Hi, I bought a 7" tablet for my daughter at Lidl 8 months ago which has developed a fault. I have the receipt, but unfortunately if I took it back to Lidl they would just give me a refund as they cannot provide replacements which is what I want. The manufacturer of the tablet is German. Does my consumer rights apply here in getting a replacement from the manufacturer? They are being of no help at the moment.
    Thanks
    You have no consumer rights with the manufacturer.

If Lidl offer you a full refund, then that is all they need to do.

As the thing is now eight months old, Lidl have every right to ask you to prove that the tablet is inherently faulty, so if you can get a refund without any hassle, you accept it before they change their mind.
  • 1jayjay
    1jayjay Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 11 August 2014 at 4:37PM
    Options
    hi all,
    i bought a shirt from LOFt in marylebone high street in a sale for £55 . This was on 2nd of july ...i wore it once and washed it 20c hand wash in the w/machine with no spin ....10th july i went into hospital for anthroscopic surgery on both menescii and was unable to walk for a couple of weeks ...wore short early august and washed on same temp with my other linen clothes , short has been ripped and frayed under the arm and is unwearable or fixable and i do not have the receipt. I Visited the shop last week who( french company and french staff) offered me a credit note as no shirt thet have no shirt to exchange as its end of season ( i did ask for an exchange as i like the shirt) and could i come back this week with a bank statement...today the shop had told me that i can only have a credit note and that i should have come in sooner ( but i could not walk) ..but to speak with their area manager on wednesday who is based in another store, as she is away on holiday .....i have requested a full refund and now a little frustrated at the saga of a shirt that has a label of wash in 30c and do not tumble dry ...i washed 20c and no tumble dry and it falls to pieces ....can i get a refund ....what consumer protection guidelines should i quote ? All advice gratefully received ...
  • Daisy
    Daisy Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 mobile phone from Carphone Warehouse just over two weeks ago costing £170. It is faulty so I would like a refund. I paid cash because their chip and pin wasn't working so I couldn't pay by credit card. I went in to the store today and was told I am only eligible for an exchange because it is a SIM free phone and that is their policy. I would prefer a refund. What are my rights? Many thanks
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Daisy wrote: »
    I bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 mobile phone from Carphone Warehouse just over two weeks ago costing £170. It is faulty so I would like a refund. I paid cash because their chip and pin wasn't working so I couldn't pay by credit card. I went in to the store today and was told I am only eligible for an exchange because it is a SIM free phone and that is their policy. I would prefer a refund. What are my rights? Many thanks

The seller can either repair, replace or refund - but the choice is theirs, you can't insist on one remedy over another.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Options
    Daisy wrote: »

Daisy, you may be better creating a new thread for your specific issue.

But in a nutshell, you want to go back to CPW and argue that you have not accepted the goods and as such, you can insist on a refund instead of a repair or replacement (read the

Read here for a bit more info:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange?_ga=1.181605223.1375126661.1412693880
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    The seller can either repair, replace or refund - but the choice is theirs, you can't insist on one remedy over another.

Only if acceptance has occurred and if your chosen remedy is disproportionately costly and if they can carry out their choice without causing significant inconvenience and within a reasonable length of time.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Daisy
    Daisy Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I have just phoned the CPW number and the guy said the same thing. They are happy to exchange it for a new phone because it is faulty but they don't do refunds.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback