Quick questions on Consumer Rights

Options

Comments

• grbird
    Options
    squeaky wrote: »
    Hi,

If you have a query that you think will only need a quick yes or no answer then feel free to ask it here.

Otherwise you are very welcome to start a new thread.

Whatever you decide... good luck :)

2 years and 9 months ago I purchased a Netgear Skype telephone. The phone I paid for was not the one in the box. the specs on the box were correct. This only came to light because there was a problem with the phone and I had to change the batteries thereby seeing the model number inside also different serial numbers to the box. I contacted both the manufacturer and the retailer and was told hard luck. Please advise.
    It had a 2yr gurantee GRB
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    grbird wrote: »
    2 years and 9 months ago I purchased a Netgear Skype telephone. The phone I paid for was not the one in the box. the specs on the box were correct. This only came to light because there was a problem with the phone and I had to change the batteries thereby seeing the model number inside also different serial numbers to the box. I contacted both the manufacturer and the retailer and was told hard luck. Please advise.
    It had a 2yr gurantee GRB

2 years 9 months is too long to do anything about the model issue - this amount of time that has gone would deem you to have accepted the product.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • mandz27
    mandz27 Posts: 622 Forumite
    Options
    I recently purchased a braun epil from tesco (it was one of they're silly priced items) i went to take it out the box 2 nights ago to find it's actually previously been opened (hygiene wrapper missing and power cord tangled in box) therefore possibly used, obviously this is disgusting with a capital D however i know they won't be able to give me another one it was hard enough finding that one, where do i stand in replacement terms (same model is still in store, just new box so will scan higher)and also is it worth conatcting trading standards? i think this falls well below accpetable for such a large retailer

TIA xx
    :xmastree: :snow_grin Santa's Little Helper :snow_grin :xmastree:
  • JosephDuffy
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    I recently bought a bag of nuts and have found a small white stone in with the nuts.
    Should I ring up the customer help line, contact someone else, or just ignore it?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    I recently bought a bag of nuts and have found a small white stone in with the nuts.
    Should I ring up the customer help line, contact someone else, or just ignore it?
    Yes, you should.
  • Lil_Me_2
    Lil_Me_2 Posts: 2,664 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a handbag for my mum for £140 18 months ago and the leather has discoloured terribly. Took it back to the store and they have accepted that it's not right and sent it off to head office who have offered an exchange.

Now the bag is officially last season and no longer sold, so they can't exchange it like for like. However there are a couple of cheaper bags that my mum likes. So when I go in tomorrow I wondered if I could reasonably ask them to exchange the one bag for 2 bags up to the value of £140? I asked the girl when she rang if it was a gift card and she said no, it was an exchange up to the value of £140.

The consumer rights guide that Martin has suggests that I could be entitled to a full refund as the product is faulty, so it seems possible, but I'm not good with laws etc so wanted to check what others thought! Thanks in advance :)
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lil_Me wrote: »
    I bought a handbag for my mum for £140 18 months ago and the leather has discoloured terribly. Took it back to the store and they have accepted that it's not right and sent it off to head office who have offered an exchange.

Now the bag is officially last season and no longer sold, so they can't exchange it like for like. However there are a couple of cheaper bags that my mum likes. So when I go in tomorrow I wondered if I could reasonably ask them to exchange the one bag for 2 bags up to the value of £140? I asked the girl when she rang if it was a gift card and she said no, it was an exchange up to the value of £140.

The consumer rights guide that Martin has suggests that I could be entitled to a full refund as the product is faulty, so it seems possible, but I'm not good with laws etc so wanted to check what others thought! Thanks in advance :)
    You may be entitled to a refund, but the seller can, if he wishes, reduce that refund by an amount which allows for the eighteen months use you have had of the product.
    So you probably wouldn't get a full refund.
  • Lil_Me_2
    Lil_Me_2 Posts: 2,664 Forumite
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    You may be entitled to a refund, but the seller can, if he wishes, reduce that refund by an amount which allows for the eighteen months use you have had of the product.
    So you probably wouldn't get a full refund.

That sounds reasonable of course. I think I'm going to ask for both cheaper bags, if they refuse then I'll see if they are willing to wait until the new seasons bags are released so mum can see if she likes any of those. And if that fails she's picked a bag that she doesn't like, but would probably be able to sell to get some money back. Just trying to work out what the best course of action is and also cover any possible things that the seller could come back with. Thank you!
  • Granny3times
    Options
    squeaky wrote: »
    Hi,

If you have a query that you think will only need a quick yes or no answer then feel free to ask it here.

Otherwise you are very welcome to start a new thread.

Whatever you decide... good luck :)
    Hi I went to spain beginning of september for a wedding the hotel arranged the transfer from the airport to the hotel we were a family of 7 so opt for the transfer at €360 return. When we got to the hotel, no money was requested from us by the driver so I assumed it would be paid to the hotel at check out. At check out 3 days later the receptionist said the transfer fee was to be paid to the driver and waved me away. We paid the €190 requested but the language barrier prevented the driver from understanding that we had not paid for the inward journey. My husband paid €200 cash and we left the driver was confused and so were we. I have since been contacted by the hotel about the inward journey which is outstanding. I want to pay but my family said I am not obliged to as we in the UK and they do not have any contact details. What is the right course of action to take?
  • bobajob_1966
    bobajob_1966 Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I went to spain beginning of september for a wedding the hotel arranged the transfer from the airport to the hotel we were a family of 7 so opt for the transfer at €360 return. When we got to the hotel, no money was requested from us by the driver so I assumed it would be paid to the hotel at check out. At check out 3 days later the receptionist said the transfer fee was to be paid to the driver and waved me away. We paid the €190 requested but the language barrier prevented the driver from understanding that we had not paid for the inward journey. My husband paid €200 cash and we left the driver was confused and so were we. I have since been contacted by the hotel about the inward journey which is outstanding. I want to pay but my family said I am not obliged to as we in the UK and they do not have any contact details. What is the right course of action to take?

Do you really need to ask? Pay what you owe!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback