We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Spotify cuts free music benefits

Options
124

Comments

  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,837 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Isn't spotify classed and registered as a radio station, therefore by law we are allowed to record off radio, but the terms and conditions do say that recording is against the policy...
    I pay for it because it isn't much to get loads of songs instead of paying for each one..... :)


    I thought we weren't supposed to record anything off the radio? (not that people take any notice of that rule just remember it being quoted when I was younger.)
  • Mikey17
    Mikey17 Posts: 135 Forumite
    edited 17 April 2011 at 9:39PM
    Options
    thief-1.pngaudacity.jpg
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 April 2011 at 3:17PM
    Options
    Corby "only" $5 a month. is a lot of money for some ppl. Personally I get sick of ads and people that say its ONLY so many quid per month,... to me that money can buy hundreds of meals.. ONLY 2 quid a month buys me 20 evening meals.

    I listen to Spotify as a legal way of listening to music as I cannot afford to buy CDs at a cost of at least #5 a time.. now it seems that I have no way of listening to the music i like without costly charges..my freeview has radio but no station I can find plays anything decent..
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Looks like i'll be digging out my ipod again.

    What's the point in having a playlist if you can only listen to it 5 times?

    I would happily pay a small amount to keep the service how it is
    Those of us who have favourite songs.. I suspect is actually almost 100 per cent - dont seem to fit into Spotifys strategy.. they seem to think we only listen to new songs we have never heard before and even if we like them we only want to hear them 5 times in our lifetime... who thought this carp up??
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • Empty_pockets
    Empty_pockets Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    edited 17 April 2011 at 3:55PM
    Options
    Reverbe wrote: »
    ONLY 2 quid a month buys me 20 evening meals.

    Wow, Any tips?

    Re only 5 repeats a month, im sure the strategy has been well thought out, if you want a full service, you'll have to pay for it.

    Otherwise the radio or youtube is free.
  • 7ewis
    7ewis Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah i like mflow, i just moved there from spotify!

    Its good giving out refferal links to people as it gives you both £1 of credit!

    So if you are going to try it out please you my link! Thanks :)

    http:*//beta.mflow.*com/signup?invitecode=7ND1QU (Delete the '*'s)
  • corbyboy
    corbyboy Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Reverbe wrote: »
    Corby "only" $5 a month. is a lot of money for some ppl. Personally I get sick of ads and people that say its ONLY so many quid per month,... to me that money can buy hundreds of meals.. ONLY 2 quid a month buys me 20 evening meals.

    I listen to Spotify as a legal way of listening to music as I cannot afford to buy CDs at a cost of at least #5 a time.. now it seems that I have no way of listening to the music i like without costly charges..my freeview has radio but no station I can find plays anything decent..

    Well you can't have everything. If you are poor and can't afford £5 per month then you have to do without. If you can't afford the equivalent of 10p per day then there is probably plenty of stuff you have to do without.

    I can't afford a Ferrari, therefore I do without one.
  • DJ_Mike
    DJ_Mike Posts: 249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 April 2011 at 8:40AM
    Options
    Reverbe wrote: »
    Corby "only" $5 a month. is a lot of money for some ppl. Personally I get sick of ads and people that say its ONLY so many quid per month,... to me that money can buy hundreds of meals.. ONLY 2 quid a month buys me 20 evening meals.

    I listen to Spotify as a legal way of listening to music as I cannot afford to buy CDs at a cost of at least #5 a time.. now it seems that I have no way of listening to the music i like without costly charges..my freeview has radio but no station I can find plays anything decent..
    Nobody's forcing you to listen to commercial music. There are plenty of great artists out there who release music for free because they don't do it for commercial gain. Why don't you seek out their music instead?

    Oh, but you probably want to listen to commercial artists, don't you? You know, commercial: the act of creating something for the purpose of earning income. So if you want to listen to commercial music, you have to pay for it! You wouldn't make the same argument about food, would you? Why should it be any different with music?
  • OnAndUp
    OnAndUp Posts: 981 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow, Any tips?

    Re only 5 repeats a month, im sure the strategy has been well thought out, if you want a full service, you'll have to pay for it.

    Otherwise the radio or youtube is free.


    I thought it was only 5 plays EVER?? :(
    "Things can only get better.................c/o D:Ream #The 90's :D"
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DJ_Mike wrote: »
    Nobody's forcing you to listen to commercial music. There are plenty of great artists out there who release music for free because they don't do it for commercial gain. Why don't you seek out their music instead?

    Oh, but you probably want to listen to commercial artists, don't you? You know, commercial: the act of creating something for the purpose of earning income. So if you want to listen to commercial music, you have to pay for it! You wouldn't make the same argument about food, would you? Why should it be any different with music?
    N DJ Mike I want to listen to artists and music I like.. which so far I havent found any such as you describe that play any of the music or songs i like. When I listen to spotify yes there is Duran Duran etc.. but there are also bands like the Railway Children or Daniel Ash's solo album both fomr the 80s that I cannot find on cd..
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards