We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Spotify cuts free music benefits

Options

Comments

• James_H_2
    James_H_2 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    As a previous subscriber, the £10 a month plan isn't worth it, if it was £5 a month I'd have still been a subscriber, but as an early adopter of Spotify and raving about it to my friends I feel a bit betrayed by their heavy-handed approach.

In December I switched to Grooveshark, paid $30 for the year and enjoy a similar experience to Spotify (including mobile and offline access) albeit without the nice application. Granted Grooveshark's legitimacy is slightly more under question than Spotify's, but until someone actually calls it illegal I'm more than happy to use it.
    Debt Summary:
    [STRIKE]Natwest 5yr £4000 loan[/STRIKE] - Paid off!
    [STRIKE]£3.8k loan from parents[/STRIKE] - Paid off!
    Capital One Progress MasterCard - £500 limit - paying off in full each month
  • Zinger549
    Zinger549 Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Mikey17 wrote: »
    Illegal ! :rotfl: Get a life. What sad planet do you live on ? Wake up, and see whats happening in the real world, there are millions of people committing proper crime. Recording a song, that your allowed to listen to, is hardly going to hurt anyone.
    If i wanted to do it 'illegally', i would get it from any of dozens of torrent sites.
    You square
    It's still technically illegal. I don't think the police are going to cop you for it though.
    Come on you Irons
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 April 2011 at 10:47AM
    Options
    Illegal ! :rotfl: Get a life. What sad planet do you live on ?

I'm sure there are plenty of people here, myself included, who would like to ensure their music listening is fully legal. If that means, Mikey, that I live on planet sad, then sobeit. It's a more respectful place than planet illegal. I could save more money by walking out the supermarket without paying. Just because it's easier to get away with music piracy, it doesn't make it right.

As a moneysaver, I want to consider my best legal money-saving options for listening to music. I'm guessing the legal alternatives to Spotify are likely to ultimately introduce similar charing, as the profitability in streaming seems to be in subscribers and not advertising.

If I was more of a music listener, I think Spotify's and we7's £4.99 packages would be a good deal. I prefer mainly to listen to a wide library of music rather than a large amount of new music, and as I have imported all my CDs into itunes, buying as I go will probably suit me better, and looking out for reduced price itunes cards at my local co-op etc which appear every so often. I'd already got used to this pre-spotify, so I am sure can get used to it again.

Be interested to know what others may do.
  • koloko
    koloko Posts: 1,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 June 2011 at 10:17AM
    Options
    deleted deleted deleted
  • HandsInTheRuck
    Options
    Illegal ! :rotfl: Get a life. What sad planet do you live on ? Wake up, and see whats happening in the real world, there are millions of people committing proper crime. Recording a song, that your allowed to listen to, is hardly going to hurt anyone.
    If i wanted to do it 'illegally', i would get it from any of dozens of torrent sites.
    You square

Just because it's not on the same level as other crime doesn't make it any less illegal. If you're going to record a stream then you might as well get it from a torrent site, you're effectively doing the same thing, stealing the music.
  • Empty_pockets
    Empty_pockets Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    edited 16 April 2011 at 9:23AM
    Options
    I started on the free, loved it so went to the £5pm fairly quickly. A few months later switched to the top £10pm package for better bit rate and mobile use.

Well worth £120 a year imo, though listen daily and have a proper Hi-Fi to benefit from too.
  • Empty_pockets
    Options
    Don't mind paying for Spotify as it's a really great product.

As far as supporting the music industry, well that wains a little every time I watch MTV Cribs.
  • inspace
    inspace Posts: 529 Forumite
    Options
    Ive been using spotify free since it was invented and now is my main source of entertainment every night - I hated all the ads and got fed up of them after all this time last week and decided to upgrade to the 4.99 package - now its spot on brilliant, I can play it full blast through my amp - was listening to the new Foo Fighters last night and It was added to my list - well worth the pound a week already - although missus listening to new britney album this morning wasnt to good lol.

Just pay the upgrade and enjoy.
    Save saynoto0870.com in your favorites, and stop giving companies more £££ dialling 0870 numbers when you can dial freephones or cheaper alternatives.:j
  • Empty_pockets
    Options
    I hope people do support Spotify. I'ts a fantastic service and I'd like to see it succeed.

Just need to get a few more big names on board.
  • southend1112
    Options
    Isn't spotify classed and registered as a radio station, therefore by law we are allowed to record off radio, but the terms and conditions do say that recording is against the policy...
    I pay for it because it isn't much to get loads of songs instead of paying for each one..... :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure