We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Spotify cuts free music benefits

Options

Comments

• justanotheruser_2
    Options
    "Instead of the minimum 20 hours a week of streaming, users will get 10 hours once they've been a member for six months. In addition, they will only be able to play each track five times." - minimum of 20 hours? I believe it's maximum ;)
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Presumably it will only be a matter of time before we7 announce something similar.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Holiday Haggler
    edited 14 April 2011 at 4:46PM
    Options
  • DJ_Mike
    DJ_Mike Posts: 249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 April 2011 at 5:39PM
    Options
    Looks like i'll be digging out my ipod again.

What's the point in having a playlist if you can only listen to it 5 times?

I would happily pay a small amount to keep the service how it is
    You can... It's £4.99 a month!

The freeloading attitude people have towards music streaming always astonishes me... I don't agree with the huge amount of money record companies keep for themselves but I refuse to rip off the good work of artists just because of big business 'getting in the way', and by all means streaming services don't just operate at zero cost!
  • la_madonette
    Options
    Spotify, what are you doing???? Your free/open music has been a wonderful way for us "oldies" to try and keep up with the latest music as well as taking us down "music memory lane". What will I be able to do without my very diverse playlists???? Whats the point of a playlist if we can only play a piece 5 times???? Generally speaking our generation are "light users" and wouldn't benifit having to be paid up members. I have so loved Spotify and shall be so disappointed. La Madonette
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stuart_W wrote: »
    Presumably it will only be a matter of time before we7 announce something similar.

and last fm as well
  • Mikey17
    Mikey17 Posts: 135 Forumite
    edited 14 April 2011 at 8:13PM
    Options
    You can always use a small tool like audacity. This will record the song/s. Its a bit of a pain, recording each song individually. But once your done, save the song as a wav file , name it, then import it into windows media player. Then you have it forever :)

http://www.filehippo.com/download_audacity/
  • HandsInTheRuck
    Options
    Mikey17 wrote: »
    You can always use a small tool like audacity. This will record the song/s. Its a bit of a pain, recording each song individually. But once your done, save the song as a wav file , name it, then import it into windows media player. Then you have it forever :)

http://www.filehippo.com/download_audacity/

It's also illegal.
  • corbyboy
    corbyboy Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    People's reaction to this seems amazing. Spotify can't subsidise you listening to free music forever.

The probably can't make enough money with the adverts. Most of them seems to be for Spotify itself anyway.

But the service is only £5 per month! You couldn't even buy a new CD each month for this price.

There does seem to be a flaw in the new plan in that new users receive the service as it currently is for 6 months. What is to stop people signing up for a new account every 6 months?
  • Mikey17
    Mikey17 Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    It's also illegal.

Illegal ! :rotfl: Get a life. What sad planet do you live on ? Wake up, and see whats happening in the real world, there are millions of people committing proper crime. Recording a song, that your allowed to listen to, is hardly going to hurt anyone.
    If i wanted to do it 'illegally', i would get it from any of dozens of torrent sites.
    You square
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport