PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

My home is a mess

Options

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Laughing my head off at the toenail problem. I'm the same, n have extra strength clippers, but it's still a right faff:rotfl:
    my get up n go, has got up n gone today. So i'm taking it easy, n bracing myself for DGS 4 coming to stay over tomorrow night ;)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Having caught up with you lovely lot this morning I decided I also needed to my toe nails, they are so awkward to do, how am I going to manage when I'm my Mum's or Grandma's age :eek:

I have cleaned the inside on the dinning room windows (window cleaner does the outside), all 10 panes, took no time at all. I would like to get a couple more windows done but most of our window are difficult to get to due to stuff on the window sils :o

We are up dating the freezer inventory to make sure we know what is in there and then making a meal plan to make the most of what we have.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Emm-in-a-pickle Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Candygirl & BB, I`m glad I`m not the only one who dreads toenail time!! Mine are really strong, were hard to cut even in my younger days till I got some proper clippers (like pliers!) from Boots, around £10 but the best tenner I ever spent. Now it`s mainly just getting close enough to toes that`s the problem.

It was a relatively calm day at work yesterday, glad I`d cooked ahead as all I had to do was heat up a big beef stew when I came home, and feeling virtuous as I`d used up all the tired veg as well.
    Today I`ve done a trash trawl as it`s bins day tomorrow, and I`m roasting a large chicken that`ll do today and tomorrow leftovers after work.
    I`m also `breaking in` a new pair of work shoes, with my orthotic insoles in, and they are squeaking loudly. Every time I get up and walk about my little Lily-dog puts her ears up and looks at me suspiciously!

The weather is still pants, and the floor from back door and kitchen needs a good clean, but not tackling it today as it`ll be as bad again in no time, it`ll keep! It`s on my Tuesday list. I`m going to light the fire next, get a couple of logs on and dry a few small items on nursery fireguard, I put a half load in WM and it`s nearly finished.
    I have also cleaned hearth and mantlepiece, as they were too bad to postpone. It`s funny how certain areas suddenly reach critical mass, isn`t it?
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    I`ve just had an e-mail from my best friend to say she`s visiting the area this weekend . She lives in Northampton, and stays with parents here. Not sure which day she`ll see us as she has family stuff to do as well, but could be anytime from Friday onwards.
    I must make it clear that
    a) she is not a person who `inspects` or even notices mess,
    b) I am not feeling pushed into panic tidying for a visit -
    but it does present a real opportunity to try to look at the place through visitors` eyes and try to smarten up my usual more simple approach to tidying/cleaning.

It is a very pleasant motivation, this, as I scuttle about noticing things and looking forward to seeing a very dear friend soon. One thing I`ll make sure of is to give the Lily-dog a good brushing on the day of visit as she`ll be on my friends lap throughout. ( I had to hoover her before she left last time as she had borrowed her dads car!)

I have also bought a ribbed silicone oven glove that is brilliant at removing dog hair, I have used it on the stairs, `stroking` each stair before Henrying for the last dusty bits, it`s brilliant! Please note, I`m not using the glove as oven glove as well - much prefer the traditional kind.
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    I have a silicone "car-pet" brush for getting rid of bunny fluff, it's brilliant.
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    Alec E., I have a `rubber broom` that`s great on laminate floor but awkward for stairs and certainly not for clothes.

We`ve got the chimney sweep booked for tomorrow morning, so as it`s too warm for the fire today I`ve cleared the hearth area ready for him.
    Still not sure which day my friend is visiting, but I`ve been moving a few things around, and am feeling quite pleased with results.

I`m getting the sewing urge again, but need to do some cutting first, and this afternoon I`m grudging time indoors because it`s so nice outside. I`ve had a rummage in spare room of doom, and found a folding decorators table - unused, as you`d expect in this house!! - so now going to put it up outside and do my cutting in the sunshine .
    Advantage here, no little bits of fabric indoors.
    Go me!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Options
    I've had a good old sort out of bedding and put out two bags for Csncer Research this morning.

Sad to part with DD's pink Dolly Mixture duvet cover. I made curtains to go with it, but it was more than 30 years ago. OH, needless to say, wanted to keep it. Anyone remember that range? They had some lovely fabrics and wallpaper.

Just need to buy a storage box for the damn fitted sheets now.

New curtains and duvet set in our bedroom, do treated ourselves to a throw,TKMaxx and a lampshade and pot with pretend orchids from Asda. It's so cheap!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • shoppingangel
    Options
    Commercial cleaners are highly recommended for a thorough clean.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    I've had a good old sort out of bedding and put out two bags for Csncer Research this morning.

Sad to part with DD's pink Dolly Mixture duvet cover. I made curtains to go with it, but it was more than 30 years ago. OH, needless to say, wanted to keep it. Anyone remember that range? They had some lovely fabrics and wallpaper.

Just need to buy a storage box for the damn fitted sheets now.

New curtains and duvet set in our bedroom, do treated ourselves to a throw,TKMaxx and a lampshade and pot with pretend orchids from Asda. It's so cheap!
    I remember the Dolly mixture stuff hun x
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    I have a silicone rolling defluffer for clothes that gets a lot of use (but I confess I still tend to keep a roll of sticky tape with me just in case!).

I also now want dolly mixtures. Have a good weekend everyone, it is Friday isn't it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport