PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

As The Workhouse Approaches....How To Do Everything To Avoid It, the Old Style Way

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:THE END IS NIGH! REPENT! :A
  • mardatha
    Options
    Re weevils etc - I suppose we all must eat loads of them , in buns & cakes and suchlike. We don't mind cos we don't know.!
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions re the peas and beans!

I'm looking for something for them to climb up. I've got them up against a wall at the moment just need to actually climb on. I have string! could use that! might take the pup searching for sticks :)

They always used to use twiggy branches pushed into the ground.
    'Sticking the peas' they called it.
    The branchy bits get the pea tendrils grabbing onto them .
    You can also use branches pushed in more densly but further away from plants, as a windbreak.
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    taurusgb wrote: »

Does anyone on here use Microsoft Money? I've used it for years and it is fantastic for keeping all finances in a tight grip (if you are disciplined enough to use it daily that is- my DH says I'm not only disciplined I'm so bad I border on OCD with it:o) I get worried because it's no longer sold or supported by Microsoft and I don't think there is another financial package on the market to use in it's place. So far it has proved compatible with Windows XP and Vista but I'm terrified that when our laptop needs replacing, which it may do fairly soon, the programme may not work with Windows 7.

I'm just as bad as you with MS Money. Every penny has its own category :rotfl: Don't worry, it works fine with Windows 7. I'm running version 12, MS Money 2004. There is nothing like it on sale any more, even Intuit don't produce one for GB AFAIK.
  • taurusgb
    taurusgb Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Charis wrote: »
    I'm just as bad as you with MS Money. Every penny has its own category :rotfl: Don't worry, it works fine with Windows 7. I'm running version 12, MS Money 2004. There is nothing like it on sale any more, even Intuit don't produce one for GB AFAIK.

Ooooooooo so nice to know I am not alone in my obsession! I'm running Money 2000 and the Intuit Quicken version I have is 1998! (moneysaving see?) Actually Quicken was a free disk with a magazine that I was given (more moneysaving!) and I was well impressed when year 2K rolled round and Intuit sent me an new disc to replace mine with an updated file to protect against any year 2K problems - was very glad I'd bothered to register it.
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading ;)
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 421 Forumite
    Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Been catching up on all the posts. The thread moves on so quickly.

Decided to buy 6 bags of bread flour from Lidl today. That should keep me going for a while.

When I was out getting a few things today I started thinking that it really is starting to feel that I have gone back in time to when my children were little and am really having to think about saving as much as possible - hence buying the bread flour in anticipation of ever rising prices.

Know I will be able to cope (it's a case of having to) but we all think that as we get older things will get better but unfortunately for many of us it won't & we'll have to keep up the thrifty ways for the foreseeable future.

Reading back what I have typed I sound like a right moaner but I try not to be. On the good side I saw my daughter and grandsons earlier this week which was lovely and worth every penny of the cost of the petrol & I have managed to sell a few items of my stock from my shop on ebay this week. None has gone for very much but it brings in some money & gets it out of the way.
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 421 Forumite
    Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I've just noticed I've got a second star. Is that for making my 200th post?
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,962 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd just like to say "thanks" to Mardatha for the heads up on Kemps wool. I know that there is a thanks button but wanted to say more.

I have been fancying knitting myself a thick winter cardi that was trendy - ish but the costs at my local co-op were astronomical (it was coming out to £80! :eek:) and even sirdar site made it an expensive cardi. But i got the same wool on Kemps for less than half the price of sirdar so i have the werewithal to make the cardi / jacket for £25!!

Result! :D Now just have to knit it :p Although i am thinking of handing whole lot over to MIL and asking her to knit it for me (maybe as my BD pressie!)
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • freudianslip
    freudianslip Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    I'll look at Kemps too, Thanks. I can't knit but crochet a fair bit.

Also I have been using http://www.yarn4less.com/ I would like to crochet myself what I would call a 'house jacket' something toasty to wear while I'm doing my jobs etc
  • mardatha
    Options
    Kemps is a very dangerous site. I am staying well clear of it - It makes you spend money!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure