PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

As The Workhouse Approaches....How To Do Everything To Avoid It, the Old Style Way

Options

Comments

• lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Options
    I too have been using this for years and it's definitely a real help. I take great comfort from knowing that I'm in complete control of my money rather than money controlling me!

Bathbag: could you explain the "dish over the slowcooker but not touching" in your post about yoghurt please? It's the bit about not touching that I don't get, is the dish supported by anything else?

Have just started knitting again after not having done any for years - wanted to start small so I'm doing mittens! In June! Mind you it has been quite cold, windy and rainy here today so maybe mittens aren't so daft. Pity I can't knit and scroll. :D

Picked strawberries this evening to have with HM yoghurt for breakfast - yum :)

Otherwise a quiet day - had a tooth infection recently and still don't feel completely better although the pain has gone thank goodness.

Going to make mushroom soup tomorrow with a bargain I picked up yesterday in the market - the weather seems to demand I be stocked up with soup. :o

All the best

Lizzy
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    laineyc wrote: »
    I have no plans for the eveing apart from watching Gardeners World. Monty is in the Giverny gardens this evening and I have always wanted to visit it there. I am considering booking a holiday in France next year so I can visit them.

Hope i am not being patronising(?) condescending (?) but be careful where you book. Everywhere in france is further than you think and takes longer than you might think. We were staying in northern france (St Valery sur somme) last week and i had thought about going there, but worked out it was at least a 5 hour round trip, so we dedided not to. I think it is more accessible from Paris, however.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • scottishminnie
    scottishminnie Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    redlady_1 wrote: »
    Jesus - we have hailstones!!!! :eek: And they are big enough to wake FK from in front of the fire!!!

Oh dear - I guess my "send it south" rain dance went askew:rotfl::rotfl:

Well, just back from Mr A - some good whoopsies tonight. A stir fry veg pack for 20p, sliced green beans for 30p and chopped onions for 20p so we will be having veggie stir fry tomorrow night. I don't know if it says something about the people in Cumbernauld that the veggies are the most reduced items!
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    oldtractor wrote: »
    does anyone know where i can get cheap wool from? I want to knit a blanket.

Many years ago my mum used to buy hand knitted jumpers/cardigans etc from jumble sales and take them apart and reknit them into new cardigans/jumpers for us children, then with what was left knitted and crocheted me some dolls pram blankets.
    I am not sure there will be so many available these days. What about making strips of old tshirts etc and knitting them into squares and making a patchwork blanket??
  • laineyc_2
    laineyc_2 Posts: 923 Forumite
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    Hope i am not being patronising(?) condescending (?) but be careful where you book. Everywhere in france is further than you think and takes longer than you might think. We were staying in northern france (St Valery sur somme) last week and i had thought about going there, but worked out it was at least a 5 hour round trip, so we dedided not to. I think it is more accessible from Paris, however.

Thanks, VJsMum. I will be careful where I book. Might look into getting there from Paris. The gardens looked stunning.
    GC 2011 Feb £626.89/£450 NSD3/7 March £531.26/£450 April £495.99/£500 NSD 0/7 May £502.79/£500
    June £511.99/£480 July £311.56/£480
  • Mrs_Veg_Plot
    Mrs_Veg_Plot Posts: 960 Forumite
    Options
    Will be harvesting the first of my pak choi tomorrow, I should not need to buy salad leaves for the rest of the summer :j. Can't wait for the toms and cucumbers to be ready.

Got a day off tomorrow :j:j. Have got some of the housework done tonight and started the laundry to get a headstart on the jobs tomorrow.

Also wondering how GreyQueen is. Hope everything is OK.
    I am playing all of the right notes just not necessarily in the right order :D.
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Options
    Years and years ago my mum who knitted all our jumpers (how I longed for shop bought) used to buy tangled wool from the market for next to nothing. This was great piles of wool that the spinning factories sold off if they'd not properly been made into hanks or balls. They used to be a pillowcase sized pile and she would get us kids to unravel it for her then make it into hanks which she steamed over the kettle to get the kinks out. I just LOVED doing this and still like doing untangling jobs :D It was usually very good quality unused wool.

She had us do the unravelling of old jumpers as well.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Kemps is a very dangerous site. I am staying well clear of it - It makes you spend money!

Too true! Just logged on and have ordered some really pretty baby wool and pattern for dgd! I should get 2 little jackets maybe 3 for £15 which included pattern and postage! The wool is really lovely varigated wool.

Naughty I know but it would cost much more to buy the baby jackets from the likes of N**t etc and it was lovely to buy something girly at last! We didn't know the sex of our grandchild until she was born just under 2 weeks ago. I really am looking forward to starting on it.

We had some rain today but nowhere near enough and it looks like we may have a hosepipe ban soon! My garden is struggling enough with dh and I in charge! I've been depending on him to water everything while I have been ill and he forgets! a lot! :( Off to top up with some jugs for the hanging baskets now!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    chrisico wrote: »
    I buy all my pulses, nuts seeds and oats as well as other veggie stuff at 'cost price' from http://www.lembas.co.uk/.

The staff are really lovely and delivery is free if you spend over about £150 and very cheap if you spend less.

My sister was impressed with this site but unfortunately it only delivers within 90 miles of Sheffield and she's in Kent. Does anyone know if there is anywhere similar that will deliver to Kent without charging the earth for delivery?
  • tryingtoruletheworld
    Options
    Charis wrote: »
    My sister was impressed with this site but unfortunately it only delivers within 90 miles of Sheffield and she's in Kent. Does anyone know if there is anywhere similar that will deliver to Kent without charging the earth for delivery?

Suma has both a wholesale and consumer site now, and although they are based in Leeds I am pretty sure they deliver country-wide. I would add a link but the site is down for maintenance this evening!

Infinity foods based in Brighton also do retail and wholesale
    http://www.infinityfoodswholesale.co.uk/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family