Frugal Living Challenge 2011 - part 2

Options

Comments

• rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    LolaLemon wrote: »
    Oh a wee update about Hannah, I went to yorkhill on Thursday to visit, and she is a lot better, but still very weak. Drs have said they have done all that they think they can for her, and now its just helping her to get stronger, she has been out to visit the ducks with her auntie, and they think she will be home in next few weeks. Will need lots of physio as well.

Lola, so glad to hear that, fingers crossed she's home soon.
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello fellow frugallers:j
    A NSD day here today- was in too much of a grump to tackle anything much so whiled away the time reading my library book and some magazines a friend has given me.

OH has been bottling more wine today- he wanted a bottle brush but couldn't find one to buy so in the spirit of a true frugal he attached some scouring pad to the end of a long stick and made one Result!

I have dug out and made a start on an unfinished cross stitch kit I had squirrelled away. I'm making an attempt to finish some of my UFOs before starting anything new! [Mind you how long that will last is another matter:rotfl:]
    Arilx
    PS I'm glad to hear that Hannah is continuing to make a recovery Lola
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • Kiwisaver_2
    Kiwisaver_2 Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    Options
    Yay, small victory today as our petrol actually dropped in price this morning - all of approx 3p a litre, but it helps. I filled up and squeezed in as much in as I could, as indications are that the reduction won't be for very long. This should see me through the rest of May. :j

Cheap dinner tonight, mostly leftover Sunday roast and veg, bulked out with some extra mash and a few peas from the freezer.
    Mortgage
    Start January 2017: $268,012
    Latest balance $266,734
    Reduction: $1,278.45
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone no money spent today as left overs for lunch, left overs for dinner and the greedy cats have been fed and will have to wait until I've been to the shop in the morning til they are fed again!
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • rubytuesday
    Options
    Hi Aril hopefully you don't need anymore shoes but Mand M Direct have cheap hush puppies and T J hughes have scholls if you do.
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • rubytuesday
    Options
    I did have a hundred quid or so in credit with them so I guess it has run out now - I live in a drafty, difficult to heat Victorian terrace that has great insulation in the roof but the windows are sashes and the floorboards have huge holes in them.

Yet again they have changed the bills so I don't understand them - they are now 6 monthly.
    When did you move in with me Tumpty?:rotfl:Lovely dolls by the way!
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • rubytuesday
    Options
    Phew I have got back as far as page 26 but now I need to go and catch up on thoughts in the Arms.

Sending positive thoughts to those of you who really need them and hope your dog is ok Minnie and deep breaths!
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello fellow frugallers:j
    I'm glad to see you've snuck back in Lady Lesley- your japanese knot wine sounds intriguing....elderflower wine and more mead is next on our hit list.

Thanks for the tip re shoes RubyTuesday- I shall check that out. I've been very lucky with shoes in excellent condition from the CS the last few times but this time it all seemed to be purple suede stilletos with bling detail on the front...not much good for getting to work in the depths of a wet and muddy Autumn sadly and the only way I can channel my inner vamp these days is to sit down in high heels. I simply don't have the coordination these days to navigate a steady course in heels when I've partaken of a small sweet sherry:rotfl::rotfl:

Little in the way of frugalling today but did my first ever whoopsie rekkie in Waitrose on the way home and came out loaded with less than half price bread with which to fill the freezer.

After super scrimpers last week I am now the proud owner of a set of spotty toenails- red with black spots so they look like ladybirds. I am exceptionally overthrilled and as ever very simply and easily pleased and all with no need of prising open the gnat bottomed purse:D
    Arilx
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • tumptyteapot
    tumptyteapot Posts: 671 Forumite
    Options
    hmm, sort of frugal today, I tried and failed to find some jogging bottoms that are not vile, bought thread and fabric, spent £2 in poundland and £1.20 on coffee in Starhell. I got a discount cos my son was in Explore Learning next door but you get half a pint of coffee with the smallest option! I should have 'borrowed' the mug so I could take the rest home, had to leave half of it before I started shaking with caffine overdose. Been working hard, nice paid work from home doing website things and in the evening I made more dolls - I'm just going to make a pile of them and then set up a website to sell them.
    Tumptyteapot

• Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning, apologies for not posting much but work, gardens, renovations and house-move preparations are all keeping me busy. I should be able to catch up around mid July. :lol:

Haven't been anywhere other than between the two houses. It's costing a fair whack in petrol, as it's a 32 mile round trip every day. Worse still, car needs couple of new tyres soon, plus we now have a garage bill for £330 for the last lot of work that got done. Guess that will go on plastic so I get the 1% cashback, which means I have another month before having to part with that cash.

Salad saies on a daily basis at the moment but have homegrown salad leaves being picked, so not everything is costing money. Mind you, hen feeding has gone up again. :roll:

Hope everyone is well and that things soon improve for anyone having problems at the moment. Summer will soon be here, then even the worst days can seem better. :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport