Forum Home» How much have you saved?

Frugal Living Challenge 2011 - part 2 - Page 132

New Post Advanced Search

Frugal Living Challenge 2011 - part 2

edited 2 April 2011 at 8:11AM in How much have you saved?
1.3K replies 107.9K views

Replies

• Hello everyone - just to let you know that Marmalade finally turned up this afternoon after I had rung up all the local vets and knocked on all the doors in my street and the street behind and the street to the side of me.

I did look in a very sweet Mr Oddbods garden and didn't find Marmalade but did find my neighbour's cat Frank who has also done a bunk since they got a new kitten and is also not well.

Marmalade did smell quite distinctly of Mr Oddbods house so I have a feeling she was there.

Spend day today as I went to the cafe with my daughter to recover from all this stress!

:T glad you found her:T
  • silvasavasilvasava Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I shall talk about cats then!

I've just got back from taking one of my other cats Wedgewood to the vets today as she has cystitis - apparently caused from an over active thyroid gland!

She could have an operation but at thirteen I'm not comfortable with that and the vet agreed so she will probably be on medication indefinitely after the results of her blood test.

. x

RuTu - sorry to hear about your fur baby. My old cat also had a thyroid problem & he was about the same age so he went on tablets but after about 18 months they stopped working & the vet said the operation was the only solution. I was really worried about the old boy but he sailed through it. Bu**er me if the same thing didn't happen about 2 years later (apparently cats have 2 thyroids) so another op - I did think why didn't they do both at the same time! Again - he was fine. Finally popped his clogs at 19+ with kidney failure. He was a rescue cat that we got when he was 10 so I know he had a good comfortable home for his 'Senior' years.

23rd Glad you had a fab time at Glastonbury.

Tumpty - Good News about the DLA!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • rubytuesdayrubytuesday Forumite
    22.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    silvasava wrote: »
    RuTu - sorry to hear about your fur baby. My old cat also had a thyroid problem & he was about the same age so he went on tablets but after about 18 months they stopped working & the vet said the operation was the only solution. I was really worried about the old boy but he sailed through it. Bu**er me if the same thing didn't happen about 2 years later (apparently cats have 2 thyroids) so another op - I did think why didn't they do both at the same time! Again - he was fine. Finally popped his clogs at 19+ with kidney failure. He was a rescue cat that we got when he was 10 so I know he had a good comfortable home for his 'Senior' years.

23rd Glad you had a fab time at Glastonbury.

Tumpty - Good News about the DLA!!

Oh thank you silvasava that is very interesting to know!

The vet did say the operation would probably work out as the cheaper option but I wasn't too concerned about that - I have now got two cats diminishing my savings very, very rapidly - daren't take the other two for check ups right this minute!:rotfl:

I get the blood test results in ten days time so I will talk some more about it with them then.

Nineteen is a nice ripe old age - my first one lived until she was seventeen.
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • weesmilerweesmiler Forumite
    234 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    tumptyteapot, that's fabulous news about DLA. I'm an occupational therapist, and I understand how expensive it can be to have a disability. The benefits are there for those that need them, I'm really chuffed for you. :j

I haven't figured out the key to getting Beyonce's legs yet...I'm sure it's not eating a Lindt bunny for dinner :o...it's ok, it was half price lol!

I'm hoping to get a few pounds off for 6th August, going to a wedding, and being frugal, want to wear a dress I already have, just need to lose a wee bit of weight to get into it. So hopefully I'll save a few more pennies not buying chocolate, biscuits, cola, crisps......goodness me, I'll save a fortune!!

Weesmiler xx
    All you need is less
  • Hello everyone - just to let you know that Marmalade finally turned up this afternoon after I had rung up all the local vets and knocked on all the doors in my street and the street behind and the street to the side of me.

I did look in a very sweet Mr Oddbods garden and didn't find Marmalade but did find my neighbour's cat Frank who has also done a bunk since they got a new kitten and is also not well.

Marmalade did smell quite distinctly of Mr Oddbods house so I have a feeling she was there.

Spend day today as I went to the cafe with my daughter to recover from all this stress!

Yaaayyy - I was going to ask if there way any sign but glad to hear she's back safe and sound (apologies for getting them muddled up)!

weesmiler wrote: »
    The benefits are there for those that need them, I'm really chuffed for you. :j

Agree with you - however, not everyone who deserves it gets it and yet others who have trivial conditions seem to get it very easily:( (not in any way aimed at anyone on here - just my experience as I know quite a few people who get this who shouldn't and others who most definitely should that have had the most horrendous times at hearings/appeals and been turned down).
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • weesmilerweesmiler Forumite
    234 posts
    ✭✭
    I know rising from the ashes (made a mistake first time!!), it's a shame when people abuse the system, they ruin it for everyone!

I'm just very glad that tumptyteapot can breathe a nice sigh of relief! It must be such a weight off your mind!

xx
    All you need is less
  • Our income has been doubled by the DLA so I took my son out for a meal using Tesco vouchers, bought some new underwear for me, some socks and a t-shirt for him and some reduced smelly stuff for my sister who has an op next week.
    what a relief! I'm still staying frugal, it is not as if we are living the high life now but I can relax and put my budgets up a bit.
    phew!
    Tumptyteapot

• mooominmooomin Forumite
    13.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you got your DLA tumpty and I'm thrilled to hear that Marmalade has come home too.

Good news all round :D
    Comping again :D

Wins this year: - two night trip to Belgium, £100 Gett taxi credit, tickets to Newcastle game, FIFA 2016 for PS4, stitch markers, Cumberstitching book
  • Our income has been doubled by the DLA so I took my son out for a meal using Tesco vouchers, bought some new underwear for me, some socks and a t-shirt for him and some reduced smelly stuff for my sister who has an op next week.
    what a relief! I'm still staying frugal, it is not as if we are living the high life now but I can relax and put my budgets up a bit.
    phew!

Thats great news tumpty did you know that if you are able to claim tax credits you can get the disability element but you do need to work for 16 hrs a week or more so this may give you somthing to look into ?

Welcome to everyone new :wave: just ask if you need advice

sending everyone who needs a hug one at this time :grouphug:
    Emma :hello:
  • redglass_2redglass_2 Forumite
    771 posts
    My ISP has gone all weird so just testing to see if I can post. :)
    'Whatever you dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin now.' Goethe

This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support