PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    PennyG just found more royal wedding recipes here
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • ebayqueen_2
    ebayqueen_2 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Options
    Good Morning all
    What a lovely day here today.
    Hope all well with every one this fine morning, we are well into the month now.
    Went to Mr T's yesterday for weekly shop...spent £53.90...got absolutely tonnes of meat and chicken reduced. So that came to approx £9. All sorted into meal size packs in freezer. So I am a very happy bunny.

TIP...I CUT THE DESCRIPTION LABEL SHOWING PRICE AND REDUCED PRICE AND PUT THAT INTO THE FREEZER BAG FACING UPWARDS. So I still get a buzz when I take it out to use...how sad am I.:D

Thats me for the week, hopefully. Yesterday was a no spend day. Hoping today was to be one too but am popping out this morning to meet a friend in town for a cup of tea.
    Happy with my progress this month feel back in control as I said before.
    Have 3 purses in my handbag now:p
    1. Groceries
    2. Ebay purse for postage (have a float of £20-£30 and carry over whats left into following week etc.
    3. savings from week purse. So all left over from my weekly budget which is £100 goes in there.

take care all and keep those purses closed:D
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" :) C. S. Lewis
  • slbhill
    slbhill Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Small spend last night - £2.50 on bread, rolls and an apple. Need to work out how little I can spend this week, really want to stay on my lower budget this month! Will need milk soon, and more fruit and salad but nothing else is urgent as long as we eat from the freezer and the cupboard, both of which are pretty full.
  • aussiemum
    aussiemum Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ebayqueen wrote: »
    Have 3 purses in my handbag now:p
    1. Groceries
    2. Ebay purse for postage (have a float of £20-£30 and carry over whats left into following week etc.
    3. savings from week purse. So all left over from my weekly budget which is £100 goes in there.

take care all and keep those purses closed:D

I love this idea :j
    (although I don't need an ebay purse)
  • walby1993
    walby1993 Posts: 355 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Have just £10.86 to last the rest of the month! Do have a Mr T voucher worth £4 and £2 left on my Mr S card to help out a little but still going to be a challenge!
    :heart: Became Mrs W in 2011 :heart:
    :smileyhea Blessed with Baby boy 1 in 2013, Baby boy 2 in 2016 and Baby boy 3 in 2018 :smileyhea
    Debt @ 19/8/11 [STRIKE]£20,060 [/STRIKE] current £0
    Paid off 100% :dance:
  • cutiepieabf
    cutiepieabf Posts: 344 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    hey guys,

keep your chins up everyone, even if you have gone over this month. just imagine how much you wouldve spent if you had not been doing the challenge!! i think i am failing unfortunately this month. went into l1dl for a few bits and ended up spending £44!! picked up some good bargains though including meat and chicken. and stocked up on bread flour too. loaves are 2 for £1.20 i think so i got 2 and put one in the freezer. then went to c00p and spent another £12, on loo roll (2 for £5 on OB) and cat food.

does anyone have any tips on cheap cat food ideas? our cat WONT eat actual fresh meat?! and she doesnt like tins. she will only eat felix or whiskas pouches!! must spend atleast £30 on cat food a month!

i dont think i will need to buy anything else now - except maybe milk when i get back mon. i need to make up a few home made ready meals for OH as i am taking stepson to my parents thurs - mon, and if i dont leave him some easy meals he'l just eat rubbish.

cant wait to go back down to the shire!! especially if the weather stays like this!! :):)
    DFBX2016 #160 - £3550/£8800

DFBX2017 #160 - £0/£11,378

£0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) £0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    £820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) £0/£795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    overspent this month just done an online shop at t3sco for around £52 , its damage limitation as am still incapacited with my back and dh offered to go shopping for me :eek::eek: it would have run into the hundreds if he went shopping on his own :eek: so i quickly did an online shop but didnt do a meal plan so havent done as well as normal
    pasta for tea with a jar of sauce ( whoopsied) and chorizo peas and sweetcorn ( had some ciabatta to go with it but someone ate it for their lunch :()
  • GroinSexyPavement
    Options
    A small £2 spend today on carrots, homous and butter.

I hate that the prices in the little Mr S next to my work (central London) are around 50% more than the big Mr S near my house (zone 3 London). I know they do it because they can get away with it but still grr!
    MayGC:£118/£360 April:£283
    CrazyClothesChallenge:£117
    Piggybank:£1,850
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had an online shop delivered today. £71.49 and signature updated. I ordered 2 weeks worth of "heavy" shopping so I only have to nip into A$da with the house elf (ds aged 6) for bread and fruit. I now have a hall full of cat food, cat litter, and some cherryade (I confess, I am a sugar free cherryade addict. I've loved it since I was small when my mum used to get one bottle a week for us from the Alpine man). I may have ordered some lime cordial and some diet lemonade to go with the bottle of Southern Comfort in the cupboard too :o

I'm not drinking much alcohol at the moment due to doing slimming world, but just in case the mood strikes I'm ready :) I did make some chocolate brownies today, but they were pronounced delicious by my small son and his older friends, and there aren't many left, so I'm safe from those.

You know how sometimes you wonder if all this fiddling round is worth it, or if making things yourself is appreciated? Well today my son told me my cookies were better than the shop ones. Result!

Take care all of you.
  • cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Options
    Off on holiday tomorrow, so OS day today - blanched celery, fried off mushrooms, will fry off leeks tomorrow am. Dinner used up leftover pesto and creme fraiche with pasta and seafood mix. Will freeze yogs and cheese tomorrow. Only think that may go out is a bit of lettuce. Will use up ham/tom etc in tomorrows sandwiches. Finished my Mr T gift card so next month will be more realistic.

Off to cater for 8 in the south of france for 10 days. Speak when I get back.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport