Is she really disabled?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
40 replies 4.9K views
fifitrix123fifitrix123 Forumite
346 Posts
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
I know of a woman who says she has NEADS (Non Epileptic Fits) and claims DLA as she "cannot drive, use public transport or cope living alone."

She claims she needs DLA for taxis as cannot travel any other way, so a gullible few always drives her everywhere and if we ask her to meet us somewhere she moans that we don't always pick her up from home! (she doesn't pay anyone for driving her)

She has lived alone for years as hubby works away and son has own home, has been seen alone on public transport many times and she also spends hours each day alone walking her dogs in fields and woods alone which I would have thought was more dangerous being alone than on public transport!

I am disabled but have mobility problems so have a free bus pass and swimming pass and now she wants one of these and each time we go on the bus or swimming she has to tell everyone loud and clear that she is also disabled and should get these benefits as well!

She has been told but can't get her head round that they are for people with physical disabilities and not mental ones.

Then again if she gets a bus pass she won't need the money for taxis as we are her taxis and are a bit tired of it, especially when she gives wrong directions and then just laughs when we have to go miles out of our way as she doesn't have to pay for the petrol!!!

I will help anyone out but really think she is now taking the Mickey and will tell her it is about time she use some of her money for taxis when she wants to go out and about next time as it will be nice for me not to have to drive as it can be very painful!

It is as though she is jealous about me being physically disabled and wants everyone to know she is also disabled, well she can have my disability with pleasure.............

Her "fits" don't make her collapse, fall down or anything she just puts her head in her hands and stares for a couple of minutes and then is fine but I can understand why this would be dangerous to drive but not to travel on buses?

She was on about driving again but when someone said she may have to wait for 2 years after having a "fit" she suddenly forgets how long ago her last one was and is not sure she really had one!

They now seem to have stopped as suddenly as she asked her hubby to stop working away now and come home.

If she is perfectly capable of living alone, travelling alone on public transport and walking for miles alone is she really entitled to any DLA?

Replies

• She has been told but can't get her head round that they are for people with physical disabilities and not mental ones.

One of the most ignorant posts I have read in a long time.

Those with mental health problems can qualify for a free bus pass, and for DLA HRM. The great majority are also capable of living alone!

If she wishes to establish her entitlement, perhaps you could be a real friend and point her in the direction of CAB, DIAL or Welfare Rights?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • MrsMandaMrsManda Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    If due to her illness she would be rejected by the DVLA if she applied for a driving licence then she's entitled to a bus pass.

Having a bus pass due to disability can entitle a person to discounts on other things such as leisure centres in their borough depending on the criteria the council decides on.
  • dori2odori2o Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seems to be another case of 'I cannot see any physical signs of a disability, so they can't be disabled'

When will people learn that not all disabilities are physical or can be seen. My brother is partially deaf and had learning difficulties at school. To the layman in the street when he's doing his job (plumbing and heating engineer) you would never know, but speak to him and thats when it hits you.

This person may feel they cannot cope on their own, hence why they get out so much.

As has been said, they may not legally be able to obtain a driving licence due to their condition. I know of 1 person who will never be allowed to drive due to fits that he has at least twice a week.

In these instances everyone is entitled to the free bus pass, and the associated benefits which go with it.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • dori2o wrote: »
    Seems to be another case of 'I cannot see any physical signs of a disability, so they can't be disabled'

I wholly agree, and it is people like the OP that make so many people with non visible conditions afraid to apply for benefits for fear of malicious fraud reports.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Why do you care? Mind your own business and stop being a busybody.
  • TrialiaTrialia Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    She has been told but can't get her head round that they are for people with physical disabilities and not mental ones.
    Probably the reason that she "can't get her head round" it is because that's a complete load of rubbish. 'Disabled' concessions are for people with mental health problems just as well as physical health problems, for the most part, unless they specifically say 'wheelchair' or something similar!

If you can't obtain a driving licence from the DVLA because they will not let you drive due to your health - physical OR mental - you are almost always entitled to a bus pass. They recommend I do not drive because of my unmedicated bipolar disorder, not because of my physical disability, even though the latter would cause me to have more accidents.
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
  • TehyaTehya Forumite
    501 Posts
    Trialia wrote: »
    Probably the reason that she "can't get her head round" it is because that's a complete load of rubbish. 'Disabled' concessions are for people with mental health problems just as well as physical health problems, for the most part, unless they specifically say 'wheelchair' or something similar!

If you can't obtain a driving licence from the DVLA because they will not let you drive due to your health - physical OR mental - you are almost always entitled to a bus pass. They recommend I do not drive because of my unmedicated bipolar disorder, not because of my physical disability, even though the latter would cause me to have more accidents.

Very true, my husband has a bus pass and so do I but for very different reasons.

My husband was automatically awarded one because of his high rate DLA Mobility whereas I was awarded mine because I suffer from severe vertigo (meaning I would never get a driving licence) caused through having M!nière's Disease. I do have some physical disability but that is not the reason I get my pass.
  • I find people are quick to judge someone when the disability is not visible or varies day to day. As its been stated many times, it isn't the disability/label that entitled you to DLA, it is how the care and mobility needs resulting from the disability.

Just because you have seen some of her 'fits' doesn't mean you know or fully appreciate how her disability affects her daily life - unless you are spending 24 hours a day with her. Just because someone can live alone and use public transport doesn't mean they can't claim DLA.

I know many people who were entitled to a free bus pass due to a mental disability, as well as discounts at various venues such as the gym/swimming.

I can understand the frustration that she is not contributing to petrol money. Then again, it is you and other people who are choosing to give her lifts. You can always say "No" or "Ok, but I need petrol money".
  • lilac_ladylilac_lady Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you should remove her from your friends list as she seems to be causing YOU mental anguish.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• Blackpool_SaverBlackpool_Saver Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands