IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Eye Court Action

Options

Comments

• Oopsadaisy
    Oopsadaisy Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »
    Did you need to post the same link multiple times ?.

No more that the OP needs to post the same question for the 5000th time [not by them but in general]???

Why do people have a problem reading the post at the top of the board???

!!!!!! it's actually entitled:

Sticky: ● Welcome *PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING*
    Crabman

So if someone can't read that I figure I need to repeat myself quite few times, that way it might percolate through [unlikely though].
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why then you're as thick and stupid as the moderators on here - MSE ForumTeam
  • halibut2209
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »
    Did you need to post the same link multiple times ?.

Just mark it as spam. I do.
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • fb1969
    fb1969 Posts: 560 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oopsadaisy wrote: »
    Why do people have a problem reading the post at the top of the board???

!!!!!! it's actually entitled:

Sticky: ● Welcome *PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING*
    Crabman

So if someone can't read that I figure I need to repeat myself quite few times, that way it might percolate through [unlikely though].

It has obviously never stuck you that someone putting "parking eye ticket" or similar into google (or most search engines) will normally end up landing on a specific thread and not the board index page. They will then look at the last few posts and add their's, almost certainly without looking at the dates.
  • smithy2121
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I have not long got back from court, hopefully you will all be glad to know that I pretty much won the case.

The judge ruled that the £240 was a penalty, and that the actual amount I owe is £15 (2 x £5 fees and 2 x £2.50 to get details from DVLA). That is their only loss from me not paying on the days in question. Unfortunately as he found I had breached the contract, and never offered the amount I owed at the beginning, I am liable for the costs of £95, so my total payout is £110. I think we can call that a victory!!!

Thanks everybody for your help on here (once people believed I was real) I would not have been able to keep going with this without the support of everybody on here and Pepipoo.

The best news: they sent me a statement of costs and they have spent almost £5000 on solicitors fees. They were hoping to claim this if they won, so they have made a loss of about £4900 at least!!

My advice would still be to ignore these invoices as they are unenforceable, but if, like me, there is a genuine amount you feel you do owe, it may be worth offering this at the start and making note of it. If I had done that then all the costs would have been waived but we live and learn.

If anyone wants any more details etc then don't hesitate to ask. Today has been extremely stressful, but I now feel I have a massive weight off my shoulders and I am so glad I fought this all the way!

Smithy
  • bromsgrovebarry
    Options
    Great result Smithy, well done for having the guts to see it through.
    Still waiting for Parking Eye to send the court summons! Make my day!
  • notts_phil
    notts_phil Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Options
    I think they have been trying to prove something with such large costs
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I bet you they didn't spend £5,000 on solicitors fees, I bet it isn't even 10% of that. They wanted to "big" up the costs claims to try and get more profit
  • smithy2121
    Options
    The statement of costs went to the court and came to me directly from the solicitors. The amount of work Pannone have done on this the costs would appear to be a lot.
  • w211
    w211 Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What are the chances of a PPC actually taking you to court? I just got a first ticket for overstaying the 2 hour limit at a motorway services, which I will obviously ignore.

However, in light of what you said, smithy2121, I was wondering if I should offer to pay them £8 - which is the cost of parking there for more than two hours, so in case this ever does come to court, I'll avoid having to pay the £95 costs for breach of contract?

Hope it doesn't sound like a stupid question. Well done anyway!
  • torontoboy45
    Options
    I smell desperation a la timms. maybe they really did shell out £5k. maybe they considered the outlay 'worth it' to prove the virility of PPC's. maybe other PPC's contributed.

maybe, maybe, maybe.

it hurts me that smithy has parted with £110 but I respect that fact that he did the face-off. congratulations.

meanwhile, I'll be keeping half an eye on the PPC sites to see how many use this 'victory' as a clear example of just how 'hard' they can be.

'unwashed spincters ye are. unwashed sphincters ye shall remain'. (as richard 2nd told watt tyler and his mates).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure