We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Royal Mail Tracked - No Signature?

Options

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,400 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The tracking number will relate to the item and the tracking will show as delivered, the only hope the op has, is to try and get the seller onside.

There is no paperwork as such with RM tracked. You print the label yourself and it generates its own barcode. If you want a cop for future problems, the RM supply them at whim! So they will win any paypal or eBay dispute.

Op, have you tried emailing the seller and explaining that you know they don't need to help, as the parcel is showing delivered, but if you give the names of those you have spoken to at the do, you may be able to persuade them to help. I would lodge a complaint with the do, explaining that the parcel has not been delivered.

Is it possible then that the seller cannot prove that the item has gone to the correct address?

If that is the case then the buyer could win this by arguing that there is no proof that it was delivered to him. Paypal require the item to be delivered to the address that they gave as 'OK to send to' unless seller can show the tracking number they have is the same one on their original proof of posting showing the address then buyer could posisbly win this.

This is why it is so important to keep all the COPs as even though many people put the tracking number into paypal when item is sent (as i do for my specials) it can still be appealed unless seller can prove they sent it to the correct address. However, buyer may well have to be persistent in pointing this out to paypal.

This proof of address means that a seller could not scam by using the wrong tracking number.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Is it possible then that the seller cannot prove that the item has gone to the correct address?

If that is the case then the buyer could win this by arguing that there is no proof that it was delivered to him. Paypal require the item to be delivered to the address that they gave as 'OK to send to' unless seller can show the tracking number they have is the same one on their original proof of posting showing the address then buyer could posisbly win this.

This is why it is so important to keep all the COPs as even though many people put the tracking number into paypal when item is sent (as i do for my specials) it can still be appealed unless seller can prove they sent it to the correct address. However, buyer may well have to be persistent in pointing this out to paypal.

This proof of address means that a seller could not scam by using the wrong tracking number.

It is not possible for the buyer to disprove, but easy for the seller to prove. With RM tracked you use their software called Despatch Express. It prints your label and they take your mail, or you deliver it to the DO.

If I need a COP, I have a booklet, which I fill in and the girl who collects duly stamps and gives me back, stamped and signed. So even if the seller has made a mistake, his CoP if he needed it would prove otherwise.

It is not right, don't get me wrong, but as we have so much mail, cops for everything would be ridiculous.

On the odd occasion I have used a cop, to enforce a chargeback, I have just printed out the cop and it has been stamped. Up until about 2 years ago, I was given my own stamp :eek: it was only when our do closed I was given books to fill out and submit for stamping (which means nothing else really).

The buyer will not win. The seller can prove he posted it to that address, even if he didn't. But to be honest, he has nothing to gain really, the likelihood is that the item has been mis-scanned and in my experience hasn't been delivered at all.
  • TUS
    TUS Posts: 692 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the useful info. I really am shocked ... Buyer Protection seems to go out of the window with Tracked then.

Still not sure whether to bother with a dispute. I'm going to go back to the DO again on Monday to ask again if they can check for it. Otherwise I shall have to look into raising a claim with RM for it ... although it will be tricky as the only proof I can supply of what the item was and its value is the auction page?

What compensation cover is provided for Tracked items? Please say it's more than the £41 offered for standard???
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Buyer protection does not go out of the window. Like many normal sellers, business sellers are not out to scam. There is nothing to gain in sending something tracked and then lying about the address.

If your seller had used recorded and it had tracked as delivered, you could be in the same situation.

Tracked offers £41 compensation the same as normal first/second, but I would imagine the seller is the claimant, not the buyer.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Op, if the seller will not help, you could try your card company and issue a chargeback, but not all companies help when paypal has been used.
  • TUS
    Options
    Buyer protection does not go out of the window. Like many normal sellers, business sellers are not out to scam. There is nothing to gain in sending something tracked and then lying about the address.

If your seller had used recorded and it had tracked as delivered, you could be in the same situation.

Tracked offers £41 compensation the same as normal first/second, but I would imagine the seller is the claimant, not the buyer.

I'm a bit confused now ... if the seller is the claimant, why would an eBay/Paypal dispute rule against me. Surely this leaves me in a position where I am £60 out of pocket and have nothing to show for it??

Am also further annoyed by the fact that the service used does not carry enough compensation for the item ... and I suspect any claim would be refused on this basis. The auction was marked "Other Courier" as well, so I wasn't expecting it to come via Royal Mail in this way.

Miffed :-(
  • TUS
    Options
    Op, if the seller will not help, you could try your card company and issue a chargeback, but not all companies help when paypal has been used.

Unfortunately it was paid for by Paypal funds I had from my sales ... even worse.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    TUS wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused now ... if the seller is the claimant, why would an eBay/Paypal dispute rule against me. Surely this leaves me in a position where I am £60 out of pocket and have nothing to show for it??

Am also further annoyed by the fact that the service used does not carry enough compensation for the item ... and I suspect any claim would be refused on this basis. The auction was marked "Other Courier" as well, so I wasn't expecting it to come via Royal Mail in this way.

Miffed :-(

The seller would win the dispute as he can prove delivery. If you appeal the seller is asked for slightly more detailed proof, as per soolins post, however, if the seller has a good relationship with their do/collection staff there is no problem supplying this. Let me just say that I do not for one minute think your seller is scamming you, so he is doing nothing wrong in obtaining a cop if one is needed. The problem has been with the delivery worker who has scanned as delivered when it is either undelivered or mis delivered.

As for compensation, it is not the fault of the service that the item appeared to be uninsured. But the seller will not have paid the price you paid for the item, so it would have been adequately insured for his purposes. I have a couple of items which retail at £99 which cost me less than £41, so go tracked as I am insured.

If the seller will not help, then physically visit the do and ask to speak with the manager. If you kick up enough fuss they will investigate it for you.

As for the item being marked 'other courier' this is an issue I have too with ebay and their suggestion is to use that category. I don't, I use standard first class, which isn't quite true, but there is no category for tracked. eBay state that 'other courier' reflects the fact the item is tracked.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Options
    The seller would win the dispute as he can prove delivery. If you appeal the seller is asked for slightly more detailed proof, as per soolins post, however, if the seller has a good relationship with their do/collection staff there is no problem supplying this. Let me just say that I do not for one minute think your seller is scamming you, so he is doing nothing wrong in obtaining a cop if one is needed. The problem has been with the delivery worker who has scanned as delivered when it is either undelivered or mis delivered.

As for compensation, it is not the fault of the service that the item appeared to be uninsured. But the seller will not have paid the price you paid for the item, so it would have been adequately insured for his purposes. I have a couple of items which retail at £99 which cost me less than £41, so go tracked as I am insured.

If the seller will not help, then physically visit the do and ask to speak with the manager. If you kick up enough fuss they will investigate it for you.

As for the item being marked 'other courier' this is an issue I have too with ebay and their suggestion is to use that category. I don't, I use standard first class, which isn't quite true, but there is no category for tracked. eBay state that 'other courier' reflects the fact the item is tracked.

As I said,I lay the blame at RM
    Tracked is a good service that works well
    but with any service there will be mistakes/problems
    from the sellers point of view,they sent it and RM have confirmed it as delivered
    if it shows as delivered from your local DO then an item has been sent.so the seller can hardly scam you frm that point
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Absolutely custardy. I think this is the difference with a seller going the extra mile to help, even when they 'don't have to' - in so far as Ebay/Paypal are concerned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport