Royal Mail Tracked - No Signature?

Options
I purchased an item on eBay which has not turned up within the timescale I had expected. My first course of action was to notify the seller, who has come back to me with the items tracking number.

Apparently the item was sent via Royal Mail Tracked service - which is different to Recorded Delivery? (this is the first I've heard of "Tracked" I must admit!). Anyway, the Royal Mail website is saying the item was delivered from my local delivery office last week. That is literally all it says ... no mention of a signature and no mention of who took receipt.

I know for definite it wasn't delivered to me and have checked with neighbours. I find it really strange as we know our postie well and he always leaves things with a specific neighbour if they are in and takes it back to the office if not.

To cut a long story short, the seller is basically saying it isn't his problem as the tracking number says it has been delivered. Where do I stand here. I am considering raising a dispute (not sure if eBay or Paypal is better for this) but fear that he will just give them this tracking number and I will lose.

Gutted as I just wanted the item and he is now sold out ... other sellers are more expensive as well.

Anyone offer any advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    Options
    >Anyone offer any advice?<

Have you tried ringing the Mail Centre to see if they're holding the item?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    contact your local delivery office,not mail centre. mail centres are the large hubs
    Tracked can come with/without signature
    your local DO can check its tracking status on the intranet
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Options
    I use tracked for our parcels. The beauty of it is that there is no signature required and the addressee can stipulate a safe place. I have had little problem, but when the snow hit, a few parcels showed as delivered when they were not. They were easy to trace via my RM account manager. Ring RM and ask them to view their more detailled intranet/audit trail, it has more info than the inernet track and trace service.

Whilst it is not the sellers problem, as a seller, I always help. Firstly, confirm your postal address with the seller. Ring the do, as custardy says, they may have the parcel there. But you can let them know it has not been delivered and ask them to check with the postie if he recalls anything about it.

In my experience, even the lost parcels end up at the correct address in the end.
  • TUS
    TUS Posts: 692 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all. Sorry I seemed to miss out that important bit of information in my OP! I have contacted the Delivery Office which is stated on the tracking website (which is my normal office I collect things from if I get a red card). They have said that it did not require a signature and all they can see is that it was delivered. I have checked the address with the seller which is all correct.

I just don't understand where it has gone. The guy in the DO said that the postie scans a barcode on the parcel when he delivers it which updates the system - so all I can think is that it has ended up somewhere else?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Options
    TUS wrote: »
    Hi all. Sorry I seemed to miss out that important bit of information in my OP! I have contacted the Delivery Office which is stated on the tracking website (which is my normal office I collect things from if I get a red card). They have said that it did not require a signature and all they can see is that it was delivered. I have checked the address with the seller which is all correct.

I just don't understand where it has gone. The guy in the DO said that the postie scans a barcode on the parcel when he delivers it which updates the system - so all I can think is that it has ended up somewhere else?

sounds like its misdelivered
    a seller will win a dispute through paypal
    so it looks like you need to file for a lost item as the recipient through RM
  • TUS
    Options
    If I've read correctly, I thought Paypal requires a seller to provide proof of delivery which includes the recipients post code at minimum for items of this value (£60)? The proof of delivery just says "something" has been delivered "somewhere" but is not at all specific. I'm a bit hacked off that I'm left out of pocket and have to go through the nightmare process of claiming from RM (I've had to do this before as a seller, so know what a pain it can be).
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,337 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    TUS wrote: »
    If I've read correctly, I thought Paypal requires a seller to provide proof of delivery which includes the recipients post code at minimum for items of this value (£60)? The proof of delivery just says "something" has been delivered "somewhere" but is not at all specific. I'm a bit hacked off that I'm left out of pocket and have to go through the nightmare process of claiming from RM (I've had to do this before as a seller, so know what a pain it can be).

The actual online delivery details though don't need to be that accurate, if you appeal, and I suggest you do, then seller would have to provide their original paperwork that shows the tracking number does actually relate to your item.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • TUS
    Options
    Edit - https://www.paypal.com/c2/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/securitycenter/sell/UnauthorizedPaymentProtectionFAQs-outside#shipping5

This states that the proof of delivery must show the address it was delivered to. Presumably to cover a buyer in this specific scenario where a package may have been delivered to a wrong address?

Do I stand any chance with a Paypal dispute? The seller won't even discuss it any more with me now ...which has really annoyed me more. I'm certain he thinks I'm lying.
  • TUS
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    The actual online delivery details though don't need to be that accurate, if you appeal, and I suggest you do, then seller would have to provide their original paperwork that shows the tracking number does actually relate to your item.

Thanks for the reply. But isn't that just proof of postage rather than delivery? I always thought the onus was on a seller to deliver to the correct address. Whilst I understand the seller has done everything he could correctly when posting ... I feel it should be his job to resolve what has happened with RM. As a seller, I have always done this myself when items have gone missing or arrived damaged. I would never expect a customer to be out of pocket.

I haven't raised a dispute yet - I was hoping it wouldn't be necessary with some sensible comms with the seller - but that is not looking likely now.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    edited 26 March 2011 at 4:33PM
    Options
    soolin wrote: »

The tracking number will relate to the item and the tracking will show as delivered, the only hope the op has, is to try and get the seller onside.

There is no paperwork as such with RM tracked. You print the label yourself and it generates its own barcode. If you want a cop for future problems, the RM supply them at whim! So they will win any paypal or eBay dispute.

Op, have you tried emailing the seller and explaining that you know they don't need to help, as the parcel is showing delivered, but if you give the names of those you have spoken to at the do, you may be able to persuade them to help. I would lodge a complaint with the do, explaining that the parcel has not been delivered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure