PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Sliced porridge?

Options
1235»

Comments

• maeiou
    maeiou Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    used to make oatburgers years ago just mixed oats water diced onion and seasoning and shaped into patties and fried and serves with veg or popped them in a roll with sauce and salad ~ versatile things oats !
    have had them on their own on a poor day too.
  • Margaret52129
    Options
    :rotfl:im pretty sure the porridge drawer was an urban myth(a bit like the wild hairy mountain haggis),i remember a story in the Broons book one year(Scottish cartoon book) where Paw Broon made the porridge too thick,poured it into a drawer,let it set and they ate it in slices.:rotfl:

Ha ha - I read this - only there was something in the drawer so when he ate it he broke his teeth! (Note - check the drawer is clean and empty BEFORE pouring in the porridge!!!!) None of the Broon family would eat it so when he broke his teeth, they laughed!!!!!!:rotfl::rotfl:
  • cathodetube
    cathodetube Posts: 273 Forumite
    edited 30 March 2011 at 2:33PM
    Options
    I often make oatmeal and cottage cheese pancakes. They are easy, full of protein and you can also eat them cold. There are lots of recipes on the internet and some call for only egg whites but I use whole eggs. You do not need any flour for this recipe. I find the cottage cheese from Lidl to be very tasty and cheap. It has small curds and isn't watery. As a guide, use 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 cup oats, and 2 eggs. Can also add vanilla. Whisk together or use blender. Drop by large spoonfuls onto a non stick or lightly greased pan. Flip when bubbles appear. Can add maple syrup/golden syrup if liked but they are lovely as they are.

I also make a kind of baked oaty biscuit made with porridge oats, water and cinnamon. Using a pie plate, I bake in a medium oven until water dries out and then serve with some kind of spread, butter, soya margarine or whatever you like plus chopped vegetables like cucumber and tomato. If I use tomatoes I usually heat them up in a pan first with some olive oil until they have broken down a bit. Add some fresh basil if you have any.
  • julie777
    julie777 Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They will really help my cholesterol.:j
  • troubleonline
    Options
    Certainly was true, my Dad talked about the porridge drawer that the porridge was poured in to then they cut a slice out of to have on the long walk to school and at lunchtime. Must have been okay to eat as he had porridge every day of his life for breakfast, cooked by himself and always put the porridge oats in the pan at night ready for the morning.

He never convinced the rest of the family to eat it though :D

This reminds me of The Broons - I remember their porridge drawer and someone breaking their teeth on a toy car or something that was left in the drawer!!

I often make porridge with physillium husks stirred through which makes it thick - if I dont add enough liquid it makes it almost congealed and solid. I also add banana, sultanas, ground cinnamon and ginger and some some ground flaxseed and then top with pumpkin seeds and or chooped walnuts or pecans once cooked. I use a mixture of soya milk and water and old fashioned thick oats.

I do tend to reheat it in the microwave when I get to work though!

When I was little I like it made with water and topped with milk, salt AND sugar :tongue: The combo of salt and sugar was great!!
  • cathodetube
    cathodetube Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    Wanted to add something else oaty. Bircher Muesli. A very common dish in Switzerland for breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack. Oats do not need to be cooked to taste delicious. For quickness, add some apple juice (or orange juice) to oats. Add grated apple, some lemon juice, favourite nuts, and plain yoghurt. You can also soak the oats the night before. Some people soak in milk, but I don't because I am adding the yoghurt and I also don't particularly like oats with milk. Can add honey on top. The hardest part is grating the apple. In summer I add blueberries or raspberries.
  • nannyboo1
    nannyboo1 Posts: 514 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I saw someone had mentioned couscous. Couscous cake used to be very popular at SW a few years ago before they decided you had to syn it. May not be any good for the OP but will post these couple of recipes in case they could be adapted. I did have a basic one somewhere but cant find it now. Hope they are of use

Almond and Cherry cous cous cake
    Syn value to be worked out

Ingredients
    • 2 cups of couscous (5 syns per 28g)
    • 5 tablespoons of sweetener
    • 2 eggs
    • 2×100g tubs of fat free cherry yoghurt (choose syn free ones)
    • ¼ tsp of almond essence
    • 1 tsp of baking powder
    • Spray Oil

Method
    • Preheat oven to 200°C or 400°F
    • Put couscous in bowl and pour over boiling water, so it’s about 1 inch above the couscous,
    • Cover and leave for about 5 mins to soak up all water
    • Fluff with a fork and add the sweetener, yoghurt, almond essence and baking powder
    • Stir in the eggs
    • Coat a cake tin with some spray oil to stop cake from sticking
    • Pouring mixture into cake tin and bake in the oven for about an hour until firm and golden

Mincemeat Couscous Cake

24 syns whole cake

Ingredients
    • 4oz Couscous (5 syns per 28g)
    • 2 tsp Mixed Spice or Cinnamon
    • 2 Eggs
    • Candarel
    • Lemon juice and the rind
    • 2 tbsp sweet mincemeat (4 syns)

Method
    • Boil a kettle
    • Pour over the couscous